Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be getting an Ariens deluxe+ blower, should have it in a few days.

I wanted to ask again about skids. My driveway is completely paved, the only place where I might run into a bit of gravel would be at the bottom where the plough goes by. There is some gravel on the road as many neighbours have gravel driveways.

Ariens recommened their poly skid, and I was also looking at the universal skid at a local hardware store.

I know that the Armor skids have been recommended and are supposed to be fantastic. I'm wondering if the universal skids would work as adequately as the armor ones. Because I'm in Canada, Armor skids are going to cost around $70, so wondering if they are that much better.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ouch! that's twice the delivered price I paid, but you're in Canada I see. International shipping and duties can add up. I have a hilly, rutty gravel driveway and the Armor skids are fantastic. But with a evenly paved driveway you'll do just fine with the poly skids.

Whimsey

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
$70 for a set of skids is insane. Stick with local stuff.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I will be getting an Ariens deluxe+ blower, should have it in a few days.

I wanted to ask again about skids. My driveway is completely paved, the only place where I might run into a bit of gravel would be at the bottom where the plough goes by. There is some gravel on the road as many neighbours have gravel driveways.

Ariens recommened their poly skid, and I was also looking at the universal skid at a local hardware store.

I know that the Armor skids have been recommended and are supposed to be fantastic. I'm wondering if the universal skids would work as adequately as the armor ones. Because I'm in Canada, Armor skids are going to cost around $70, so wondering if they are that much better.

Any thoughts?

I paid 29 for the ones in the photo above at Lowes. I got lazy instead of making my own from white plastic cutting board , doubled up. Next time I will make them but at least this set will be used twice, as the design allows flipping them upside down ( and switch sides of blower) to utilize both ends. I was pressed for time, wanted to get the machine in order, and onto another project.

They seem to work beautiful as far as not getting hung up on cracks in the driveway. Pretty happy with them other than thinking 29 was a lot- but being reversable I could accept the price. :cool:

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I paid close to $70.xx, but I know they were worth the price, they are heavy, and well made and will last for as long as I will be around. My drive way is paved but my neighbour is gravel 25 x 80 ft, this is where they are great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts