Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Just had a thought and I wondered if anyone has adapted roller blade (or Razor scooter) wheels in place of skid shoes.

I have some lying around and wondered if it might be worth the time to fab up some brackets.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

John

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've seen some shoes with wheels, but reviewers said that the wheels were plastic and flat spots wore into them quickly. I mean, it can't hurt to try something more sturdy than plastic.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
actually there are quit a few who have done it, Do a search for skid shoe wheels and it should come up with quit a few options to try.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I switched to Arnold universal skid shoes recommend by member 1acer and can purchase online or box stores....So far no issues...Glides on asphalt like butter...

·
Registered
755 Posts
I made up a pair that are on my cub cadet and out of uhmw poly and they have lasted over six years with little to no wear.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I have the ones from Arnold like these, and have used them a couple times with no sign of wear. I have them on most of my machines now. They work just great for me. Plus the machine rolls around great while not running. Not to mention, at 20.00 for the pair, and just bolt on, its a win win.

·
Registered
278 Posts
My driveway is breaking up, cracked and heaved (well it is 56 years old with some patching by the previous owner) 5k to fix and I quite work so its a dilemma as to tapping the slush fund.

Grabs the skids something awful.
I have the steel roller bearings from the 007 fix on the way.

Not sure if I can get them to work with the existing skids of I will have to cut plates but will be trying that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought the roller skids at Lowes, didn't like the plastic wheels. I turned a pair of wheels out of steel, they should wear better then the plastic. I also thought about using scooter wheels , I have several from my kids.

·
Registered
278 Posts
56 years on a drive way up there? that for sure is feat against mother nature alone.

Well the house is that old and the driveway was seriously patched when we bought it (23 years ago)

Not complaining, but money as always is tight. I though we were doing ok and ready to have at it this spring and I had a root rot out on a tooth. I think that was $2400 or so to fix. Down in flames.

Still it needs doing and simply falling apart (open gravel spots now) instead of just cracks. So will take it out of saving come spring I think and get it done. Kind of annoying as I will probably be gone before it needs it again.

·
Registered
49 Posts
One thing you want to consider, if you use something with steel bearings, rust and or salt residue may cause them to lock up, that is where the flat spots come from, not being able to roll.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I bought the roller skids at Lowes, didn't like the plastic wheels. I turned a pair of wheels out of steel, they should wear better then the plastic. I also thought about using scooter wheels , I have several from my kids.
you can buy UHMW and cut what ever size wheel you want out with a hole saw. This stuff wears great and wont rust. I use 1" thick for mine.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
@Coby,

No adjustment on those., correct … like having them on an adjustable skid shoe plate like the 20.00 pair.

I would also think having the entire front of the machine weight on just a single bolt hole (one on each side), would flex the side bucket material without the support of the double holed skid shoe thick material being double bolted against the side material.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts