Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to put on the poly shoes...but the stock nut with oversized flange won't fit the routed out area where the nut goes.

So off to buy new hardware I suppose..
I'm not a huge fan of SS - skared sh1tle33 on cold weld, etc.

What camp do you sit in. Replace it with SS carriage bolt/nut or just plain old steel....

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Nothing wrong with Stainless. I've used it on many snowblower applications. And try not to be scared, it's just a snowblower :)

·
Registered
871 Posts
ss for sure, extra cost is small in comparison, theyre stronger than u think, iirc their stronger than grade 2, and u will not have to deal w/rusted on bolts & nuts which are a major pia

·
Registered
260 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Like the other have said, SS + anti-seize = no problem. I've dealt with a LOT of SS hardware in my career, no thread lube I get about 10-50% "cold weld" as you put it depending on quality of SS bolts, with a dab of anti-seize never had an issue. Blue moly is my favourite for ss, but any anti-seize should do the trick.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
ever had to remove a cold welded SS bolt....not fun at all.
I've used several hundred SS fasteners on automotive and OPE projects over the last few years and... no. Never a problem. I do use antiseize almost all the time.

·
Registered
404 Posts
When doing any R&R or major work, I'll change the fastener to stainless steel. I will also use SS nylock nuts if practicable.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
New shoes are on with SS hardware. Here's hoping u didn't jinx me.....I've had some funky rare issues seeing cold welded SS and what a nightmare it was each time to unbutton up.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Stainless hardware (bolt, washer, and locknut) with a smear of anti-seize. I also give the skid hardware a quick blast of WD-40 couple times a season. Not sure there's any real benefit to the WD-40, when using stainless hardware....but it makes me feel good...

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Like minds think alike ? As part of spring storage routine, I was going to test one nut to see if I see any issues with cold welding. Then give each one a shot of Kroil. Placebo effect maybe ?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts