Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an ariens 27" snowblower. model 921012 with a b&s 1150 series engine on it. i love this machine. but from day one, brand new in 2009, this engine has had a slight popping coming from the exhaust while the engine is running. it seems that the longer it runs, it pops a little more. at first, i thought it was a lean condition. click the choke closed a little, same problem. changed and gapped the spark plug. same thing. even readjusted the valves, same thing. now i'm thinking maybe a slightly weak valve spring. not really sure though. engine really runs great and the machine throws snow well. can anyone give me any other ideas. the engine is a briggs & stratton 15c134 0128 e8.
thanks for listening.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Pilot (low) jet may be partially clogged or undersized. That's about all I can think of that would cause it , but some others may know more than I for sure. It's one thing you can check though.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Pilot (low) jet may be partially clogged or undersized. That's about all I can think of that would cause it , but some others may know more than I for sure. It's one thing you can check though.
Very likely, ethanol in the fuel is notorious for gumming up pilot jets.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i am going to pull the carb and thoroughly clean it, but, i use 91 octane non-ethanol fuel. i'm really not suspecting the ethanol problem. also, i always drain the carb and fuel tank every year when in storage. i do this on all my equipment.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I am unfamiliar with that carb, but on mine (honda clone)you can pul the pilot jet without removing the whole carb very easily. You may be able to save yourself some work look into that first ;-)

·
Registered
247 Posts
i have an ariens 27" snowblower. model 921012 with a b&s 1150 series engine on it. i love this machine. but from day one, brand new in 2009, this engine has had a slight popping coming from the exhaust while the engine is running. it seems that the longer it runs, it pops a little more. at first, i thought it was a lean condition. click the choke closed a little, same problem. changed and gapped the spark plug. same thing. even readjusted the valves, same thing. now i'm thinking maybe a slightly weak valve spring. not really sure though. engine really runs great and the machine throws snow well. can anyone give me any other ideas. the engine is a briggs & stratton 15c134 0128 e8.
thanks for listening.
Greetings! I have the same exact blower and engine. I notice on mine that if i throttle down from full power to idle, mine makes a single big POP. It's been doing it since day one (2009). If I go from full throttle to OFF, it doesn't POP.
I have always run regular unleaded (87). When running at FULL while I'm using it, it makes no POPs though.. It runs great. It's just when i throttle down to idle.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
thanks for listening.
Welcome to the forum AnteDarvo. As others have stated, it could be a lean fuel condition OR the valves are not adjusted correctly. Briggs states that the valves have to be adjusted with the piston 1/4" PAST top dead center. The procedure is near the bottom of this page. If you did it this way, disregard my suggestion and concentrate on the carb. I hope this helps.

Engine Valve Maintenance & Repair | Briggs FAQ

·
Registered
657 Posts
Greetings! I have the same exact blower and engine. I notice on mine that if i throttle down from full power to idle, mine makes a single big POP. It's been doing it since day one (2009). If I go from full throttle to OFF, it doesn't POP.
I have always run regular unleaded (87). When running at FULL while I'm using it, it makes no POPs though.. It runs great. It's just when i throttle down to idle.

Open up the idle jet a little. It's that way because of EPA standards they want it to run a little lean. You get rid of the pops and increase your performance slightly because even the idle jet fuel mixes with main jet fuel and you gain a slight bit on top end torque. Not sure how much you will notice if at all, but it will throttle up and down smoother and no pops, and possible idle smoother with a slight increase in pilot jet size. Clean that spark plug too make sure the gap it at the right amount.

That said, must be done carefully with micro drills in a pin vice, you just gingerly twist the jet into the drill one size at a time after you figure out where you are to start.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it, just leave it alone, a little pop won't hurt anything. It's just a little annoying when you know the cause and know how to fix it. :cool:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mine pops too while shutting the engine down. i believe they call that after-pop.
if i bring the engine down to idle and run it there for 10-15 seconds and then just shut it off, no pop. idling it down for those few seconds before shutting down allows the engine to clear itself of excess fuel.
i do have precision drills and pin vises for carb work. i've done alot of drilling on rochester q-jet's. too bad we don't have our precious adjustments anymore.
fixed carb settings. what a joke. maybe i will try to open the jet slightly, listen to the engine and watch the spark plug.
i do miss our main metering and idle adjustments though.

·
Registered
336 Posts
My Ariens 24 Platinum was popping quite a bit (more then normal) last time I used it. Today I had to refill the gas and added a generous amount of Sea Foam. After I had finished the drive & before I got to the neighbors drive, almost all the popping was gone (it's always popped every so often, every since it was new last year).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it's amazing. mine has been the same since brand new just like yours. a slight popping. you use sea foam and the popping stops. what are they doing from the factory. it almost tells you that one of the carb circuits coming from the factory is slightly plugged. it's usually the other way around. the poor gasoline, leaving fuel in carb while not in use, etc....plugs up a circuit, it will surge, pop, run better while choked or not start at all.
oh well, we'll just keep on fine tuning where we can.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Open up the idle jet a little. It's that way because of EPA standards they want it to run a little lean. You get rid of the pops and increase your performance slightly because even the idle jet fuel mixes with main jet fuel and you gain a slight bit on top end torque. Not sure how much you will notice if at all, but it will throttle up and down smoother and no pops, and possible idle smoother with a slight increase in pilot jet size. Clean that spark plug too make sure the gap it at the right amount.

That said, must be done carefully with micro drills in a pin vice, you just gingerly twist the jet into the drill one size at a time after you figure out where you are to start.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it, just leave it alone, a little pop won't hurt anything. It's just a little annoying when you know the cause and know how to fix it. :cool:
Thanks Pathfinder.. At this point I think i'm going to leave it alone. It's on it's 6th season since new. I've never had it serviced other that plug/oil and some minor repairs (cables) adjustments that i performed myself. After this season i plan on bringing it for a proper/professional service..ie carb cleaning/adj, belts, etc..
I'll mention it to my dealer when i bring it in.
The pop is a little annoying though, but it runs fine.

·
Registered
336 Posts
it's amazing. mine has been the same since brand new just like yours. a slight popping. you use sea foam and the popping stops. what are they doing from the factory. it almost tells you that one of the carb circuits coming from the factory is slightly plugged. it's usually the other way around. the poor gasoline, leaving fuel in carb while not in use, etc....plugs up a circuit, it will surge, pop, run better while choked or not start at all.
oh well, we'll just keep on fine tuning where we can.
Dealer said they are set to run very lean on purpose. Something about fed standards, or something like that. (Wasn't listening like I should have).
He did stress to use mid-grade or premium gas however. Said he only uses premium in his own lawn equipment. Said it was more important with the with the newer engines. (Smaller ports, especially California CARB engines which have smaller ports still).

And he told me which gas stations to avoid getting gas at locally.
[edit] remembered that he told me that certain stations were selling gas that had more failures than other stations. He suspected that those stations was selling gas with higher Ethanol content (either by accidient or on purpose). Basically the stations to avoid were the off-brands that sell for less.

·
Registered
765 Posts
My neighbor has a Honda with the same complaint. It happens when throttling down. More annoying than anything but he said it just started to do it this year.

With all the snow we have been having he does not want to take anything apart. I recommend trying a bit of Seafoam with each tank of gas. So far He says it has helped. It still does it but not as frequently.
That would certainly suggest some kind of carb cleaning is needed. Does not rule other the other things mentioned above too. i.e valve clearance, spark plug.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have owned multiple Briggs engines on many different pieces of equipment. They all have that "pop" when closing the throttle down. It's normal, but not appreciated. As mentioned it has to do with how lean they set them from the factory to meet emission guidelines. You would have to rejet the carb to try and eliminate this. Sometimes opening the fuel screw is enough, but most are capped so you cannot easily adjust this.

·
Registered
247 Posts
So after 6 winters of the 'popping' since new, I had my machine dealer serviced this week for the first time and the popping appears to be gone. They said they cleaned the fuel system which included the installation of a carb kit. I'm not sure if valve adjustments were done, but she's running like a top!

·
Registered
657 Posts
probably had crud in the jet or emulsion tube holes , it can happen, it doesn't take much. Could have even been from when it (e- tube)was machined, and when they cleaned it it freed it up. Great to hear it's running smooth.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts