Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey All, I am going to do the LED upgrade to my, new to me, snowblower. My only real question is, where is the best spot? I am leaning towards mounting a wide angle flood LED up on the very top of my cab, but I see most put their lights down in front of the chute. Just wondering what everyone's opinion is on best location? (this isn't mine, but virtually identical)

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
If you have the cab and you like it, go up top!

Reactions: tsbrewers

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would put a light wherever I thought was best. Additional thoughts--does the cab stay on all season for every use, or does it come off when you use it in better springtime weather--add a quick disconnect if so. Heavy (very high levels) of snow over the height of the auger box--auger mounted lights don't do much if they are buried as you blow snow. Handlebar height lights are more useable for all around conditions-- but are always shadowed by the chute. There are probably other thoughts also, your choice.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I was hoping someone had already done the testing for me. :) I was leaning towards the cab, since I have a buddy who bought a lawn tractor and blower that the previous owner had put a light bar on the front and he said he doesn't like it there, he said the snow wash is about all that gets lit up.

The cab stays on all season, but will come off in the off season. I have thought through that part mostly, thinking a couple grommets, one where the light attaches to and one for the wiring. And reinforcing the vinyl in those areas.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got a chance to experiment a little today, we had about 6" of fresh snow, so I took a battery powered work light and temporarily mounted it to the top of the my cab. Then blew a little snow. I am sure some of it was due to aim, but most of the light got blocked by the blowing snow coming out of the chute. I think literally made it worse. I didn't get much of a chance to try it up front on the auger housing, but right now that seems like a better place.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Think about how we mount fog lights low, to cut down on reflections back into your eyes from the fog droplets. Same with snow? Not so much reflection as glare it seems. But... lower means more exposure to snow buildup. Decisions decisions!

I like your idea of testing the light in different places to see what works best for you. I find that the handle-height factory LED lights work fine for a wile, until snow builds up and they turn into marker lights. I've supplemented those with a decent head-mounted LED with batteries hanging off the back of my hat, and that seemed to help a lot. Except when it's snowing hard, when there's reflection, and every once in a while I have to wipe them clear with a glove.

Anxious to hear your conclusions!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts