Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BBQ/smoking discussion, must not overheat the DeLorean... continued here.

I was actually impressed with the mini deep freezer, but yeah, nice charcoal stash. Is grilling as popular there, as it is here?
The Japanese like to do, but are relative amateurs... always throwing stuff on before the fire is ready... :tempted:

If you're talking about the Hill then Ronin's your uncle.

Re. freezer: it is a Stirling engine driven helium compressing marvel, fully fueled by sunshine. Currently set to 38* for the perfect chilling of beers, which it is full of. Almost... Capable of -40 for when ice cubes are needed real quick.

Back to regularly scheduled programming, the Tracks have just inched a little closer to Home.

:biggrin:
Gosh, I'm suddenly hungry, and looking forward to seeing the DeLorean up and running too.
I was wondering if it was used to filter homemade sake or something (being down in the lair and all) so I wasn't going to bring it up.:icon_whistling:
Then he showed us the picture of his grill and I'd remember seeing pictures of it before over at MTF.
That is a beautiful smoke ring! I bet you make some of the neighbors/co-workers very happy!

Heck, with an egg grill/smoker you could open your own restaurant.

I noticed your use of raw chips on the bricks, what did you you use, or is available?

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks... mostly make the neighbors happy, our friends that drop by... family party in the summer, coming up soon.

Chips on hand: Hickory, Cherry, Apple, Maple... pretty good stash, available locally. Plus what I score from taken down trees in the 'hood. Have a chipper on site to reduce to fuel/flavor.

Usually put some in the fire directly, and some beer soaked ones on the firebrick for the slow release, better not to have to crack the lid too often.

I built that drumcan for our wedding, it will open flat with another set of legs for the lid to be a double open grill for a crowd... 8? years ago now, thinking of making a proper vertical smoker pretty soon. Current version finally getting a little thin on the bottom after spending a few years outside before we moved up here.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Nothing Like Good BBQ....Here's a Pic of My '59 El Camino with BBQ Rig in Tow. I used to do BBQ Catering with this setup. I also had a couple of Vertical Machines made from 275 gallon oil tanks.

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
This thread is going to be delicious, already giving me a

I can't get everything here but I can get quite a bit, here's where the goodies that can't be sourced in the 'hood come from: [The Meat Guy] Grade-A Meat and Cheese delivered to your door in Japan!

Sis in law and family headed in late August, planning their fate now... :biggrin:

Nice rig, love the truck and the 'Q.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Has any one used the Big Green Egg smoker, BBQ been reading about them and has caught my interest since I like to do ribs a couple times a month.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Has any one used the Big Green Egg smoker, BBQ been reading about them and has caught my interest since I like to do ribs a couple times a month.
I have not, nor any of the clones that are out there, but I have heard very good things about them. The two hurdles that I see with them, is that they are little spendy, and are really heavy. So, unless you have a smooth surface to roll it, to and from, it's going to be "call a buddy" moment to just unbox it.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
a co-worker bought one a year ago, used it a few times last summer and loved it. asked him if was using it much this summer and he hasnt used it once.....seems its more work than he wants to do.
i picked an electric bradley smoker/cooker from CT a couple years ago and just love the thing.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I have a Little Chief I use for fish and Jerky but a long time for Jerky. Like I say I cook ribs at least a couple times a month so want to improve on my skills. I have a cement deck and have room for one but a lot of money if it does not work as well as I except.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Ummmmm, ^^^^^^^ What he said ^^^^:)

Seriously though , IF you cook outside alot and have the time and want to spend the $$$$ ..... Those green flower pots have a very loyal following ! There is at least one egg forum
They can and will do most anything you want , from 8-10 hour slow cooks without adding charcoal to 500F -600F+ pizza cooking .
Ribs are pretty easy on most anything IMHO, low temps , 4-6 hours enjoy.
I just got a webber kettle a couple months ago and it is pretty versatile :)

·
Registered
646 Posts
No great food pics like the ones on this thread , but I had some time on my hands while staying at my Moms house for a while this summer and got me a webber kettle to give myself something to do to keep the stress at bay.

A pork but to learn on:
Some cherry wood for flavor

Cleaned up and reseasoned a decoration my parents had by their fire place . A " Scotch Bowl " from griswold with an older dutch oven lid that was with it

No pics of the smoked chuck roast , but broke in the cast iron with some barley soup made with the roast

Obligatory beer can chicken to try out the vortex

Pork loin wrapped in a blanket of bacon

Made for a nice breakfast too

1 - 19 of 19 Posts