Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!! I am mechanically inclined but have to admit defeat. I noticed that my machine has not been throwing snow like it used to. I replaced the auger belt and adjusted the free play, but less than a minute into using it, the belt came off!! I am waiting until it warms up a little before I look into it again, but until then, any ideas?? THX!!

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Hello!! I am mechanically inclined but have to admit defeat. I noticed that my machine has not been throwing snow like it used to. I replaced the auger belt and adjusted the free play, but less than a minute into using it, the belt came off!! I am waiting until it warms up a little before I look into it again, but until then, any ideas?? THX!!
Did you get the belt with your part number?
Or did you measure it and buy?
How much free play did you end up with?

Reactions: dghawk71

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Remove cover, check the slack in the belt, engage auger, check slack, let go, start engine, see how much belt slap there is, engage auger there should be almost no belt slap.

Measure old belt od, measure existing belt od, check specs, if falling off maybe new belt is too loose. May have to go down 1/4" or 1/2". Maybe idler pulley is rocking too much. Check nuts, nolts, maybe something moved and is out of alignment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you get the belt with your part number?
Or did you measure it and buy?
How much free play did you end up with?
I used a Gates 6733 Power belt. Looked on Gates site for 3201S. Seems to be an excessive amount of free play but I did not see an adjustment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Remove cover, check the slack in the belt, engage auger, check slack, let go, start engine, see how much belt slap there is, engage auger there should be almost no belt slap.

Measure old belt od, measure existing belt od, check specs, if falling off maybe new belt is too loose. May have to go down 1/4" or 1/2". Maybe idler pulley is rocking too much. Check nuts, nolts, maybe something moved and is out of alignment.
Didn’t think about resizing belt but that makes sense. I am now suspicious about the idler since the engine pulley and the auger pulley seem solid.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now that it’s 60’F (and not -10’F) I decided to check into the issue. Turns out that the two bolts holding the inner engine mount to the frame were GONE!! This allowed the engine to rock just enough to throw the belt. New bolts in, free play adjusted, and it seems to be working. Thanks to Big Ed JLawrence08648 for your advice!! I really appreciate it!!

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Good, that's why I said check the nuts, bolts, because something has moved, in this case the engine. Where there is going to be vibration or limited or difficult access I use a type of lock nut called a torque nut.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine comes off when I let go of the handle too fast. So I had to release it slowly. Belt seems to be stretched out. just put a new belt on it and we'll se next winter how it performs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts