Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new member posting first question.

Had the blower since new - going on ten years and noticed the throwing is getting worse every year. I change the oil each few years as well as the spark plug and drain out the gas and run it dry every season. No matter whether new snow or end of season wet snow it struggles and clogs up. I've tried WD40 and spraying cooking oil on the chute.

When there's no snow the impeller is spinning really good and actually good breeze coming out of the chute but the minute a load gets in there it slows and clogs eventually. Tried to spin the augers and they're tight so shearing pins are good? Can actually rotate the impeller and it's tight - don't know if that's good or bad.

Took the belt cover off and inspected both belts and the tension and (I'm not a mechanic or repair tech) they seem to be in pretty good shape - no obvious cracks. Started the thrower (is it a blower or a thrower:smile2:)and the belts seem to be on track - not floating all over the tensioner/idle pulleys.

What else to try/can I do to get it working like it used to - the sucker used to throw snow like 20' away!

Thanks for the help and advice.

ray

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Replace the carb with a new adjustable one, could be lacking power.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Could be a few things. Is engine bogging down like it's having trouble? If not I would look & make sure all shear pins and impeller bolts are intact. Belts maybe be glazed or stretched. Being 10 yrs old might not hurt to throw belts at it anyways. Is impeller and housing showing lots of wear? Might look into impeller kit.

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
how old are those belts? they may look good but still be worn

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks jtclays for the welcome and the advice (ditto detrbuzzard n uptrapper123) - I was going to replace the belts but figure before I spend some $ that I asked to see what experts would say and do :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi JLawrence08648,

Yeah I was thinking that too but the engine (Tecumseh) again from a non-repair/tech person
sounds like it's running well unlike the Briggs & Stratton engine on my tractor which ran bad until I replaced its carburetor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again for all the good advice!

Thanks SnapperInMA - will do that as well - like most of you guys recommended, Im going to replace all the belts and will check all the bolts. The augers look good - not beaten up tho the impeller housing is pretty rusty so perhaps take out the auger/impeller and grind down the rust or rustoleum it? :)

Do I have to the the greasing every season? I always spray WD40 at ends of the augers into the scoop and near the gear housing.

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
Pull the shear bolts and verify they are intact! I have had a few that when they shear, leave enough 'swarf' that the ends stay in place and appear intact, while the bolt is sheared.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Thanks SnapperInMA - will do that as well - like most of you guys recommended, Im going to replace all the belts and will check all the bolts. The augers look good - not beaten up tho the impeller housing is pretty rusty so perhaps take out the auger/impeller and grind down the rust or rustoleum it? :)

Do I have to the the greasing every season? I always spray WD40 at ends of the augers into the scoop and near the gear housing.
Always a good idea to remove rust. Of course a warm weather project. Use oil based primer and paint only. There are some very hard paints, expensive, Hardnose, POR-15. These would always be the best for difficult to access areas.

If you are in a low snow area, you don't have to grease the augers every year but you should use only synthetic grease. I can't emphasize that enough.

Don't use WD40, it's 90%-95% penetrant, the rest lube. Use synthetic motor oil.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
Things to try with the plug wire pulled off.

When you turn the pulley that is on the shaft with the impeller you're also turning the auger but does it feel like there is excessive drag like possibly a bearing going out ? Does it make any grinding or squeaking noise when you rotate it ??

Have you tried to see if you can take the impeller and rotate it on the shaft ?? I'm curious if it's bolt or pin is broken and it's stiff until it gets a mouth full of snow and then just spins on the shaft. You'd want to hold or lightly jam something in the auger so it's not spinning and then see if you can turn the impeller.

As stated above as those belts wear they are going to run deeper and deeper in the groove of the pulleys and will slowly cause the auger and impeller to turn slower. So new belts, maybe.

If you're asking about using it as an agent to keep snow from sticking, most of us don't use anything and we don't have any problems. If you have a problem with slush clogging your time and effort are better spent in adding an impeller mod. It's adding rubber flaps to the ends of the impellers to help the impeller throw all the slush out the chute.

Impeller mod: https://www.google.com/search?q=youtube+impeller+mod&oq=youtube+impeller+mod&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i64.3927j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

If you feel you need something than cooking oil or something like Fluid Film might be a better choice than WD40. Fluid Film: https://www.google.com/search?ei=LSqUWtTGK6SfjwSZn4KQAw&q=fluid+film&oq=fluid+film&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0j0i20i263k1j0l8.196745.198829.0.199133.10.8.0.2.2.0.158.753.4j3.7.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..1.9.765...0i67k1j0i10i67k1j0i131i67k1j0i20i264k1j0i131k1.0.L3TS5Y7xKyc

Using WD40 when you're done for the year and are going to store it wouldn't be a bad idea to possibly help control rust. WD40 during the season or to keep snow from sticking ... IMHO worthless. I'd rather have a good coat of wax.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts