Snowblower Forum banner

Snapper I5240 Auger brake

4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  CarlB 
#1 ·
My Snapper I5240 has an auger that wont stop when the handle is released.

I have installed a new rubber brake, adjusted belts pulleys and activation springs. This has failed to solve the problem. Since it"s a safety issue I'd like to have it solved before the first snowfall.

#5 ·
Here is the video Note, the auger was moving during the whole video. The tension pulley is adjusted to the stop on the loose side (away from the belt)

After reading some of the replies, I think I have the answer but I don't want to bias your view so I'll keep it to myself for now.

#6 · (Edited)
Here is the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjMGFZrSDyQ&feature=youtu.be Note, the auger was moving during the whole video. The tension pulley is adjusted to the stop on the loose side (away from the belt)

After reading some of the replies, I think I have the answer but I don't want to bias your view so I'll keep it to myself for now.
Either the belt is too small or your idler pulley is not fully retracting. The idler pulley should not be under the engine pulley when the auger is disengaged. Make sure the springs that pull the idler back are correct and that there is no binding. Also make sure there is slack in the auger engagement cable when disengaged, if there is no slack in the cable it will cause the auger to not disengage. Try disconnecting the auger engagement cable or rod from the engagement handle. Check the manual for the correct belt size and get a new belt. You may have to re-adjust the idler with a new belt. it should be 1/2" x 35" as far as i can tell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.