Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 25+ year old Snapper I524 snow blower. Tecumseh engine. I would like to be able to take it apart for belt replacement and to locate a gas leak. From what I have read the leak could be a sticking carburetor float, cracked gas line, or cracked gas tank. Are there manuals available?

·
Registered
859 Posts
Snapper never had any really good service manuals available at the dealerships. You can find Tecumseh engine manuals online at a bunch of different sites, usually under the "Support" tabs.
They should be of some help with the carburetors. The carbs are very simple to work on but there are some tricks to them, and getting the float level set properly. One of the fuel lines runs behind the flywheel going thru the cooling fins and they can be a little tricky replacing without removing the flywheel. Also check the little thin "Primer" line where they mount to the carb, they usually break when they get hardened or weak and tear.
The Tecumseh carbs are very close to the Walbro carbs, some are Walbro. Another common thing to replace is the float needle and seat. They did make a special tool that looked like a crochet hook, that was used to remove and install the needle seat, a highly recommended tool to use, but can be done without it, either by using compressed air to blow into the fuel inlet to blow out the seat, or making a tiny hook with a thin stiff piece of wire and grabbing the seat to pull it out. You can use a dowel punch to reinstall the seat, but don't drive it in too far, and make sure you put it in far enough. Thats where the special tool comes in handy. It has the pulling hook on one end, and a stopper on the other end to re-install the seat and to get it in far enough without pushing it in too far.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Snapper never had any really good service manuals available at the dealerships. You can find Tecumseh engine manuals online at a bunch of different sites, usually under the "Support" tabs.
They should be of some help with the carburetors. The carbs are very simple to work on but there are some tricks to them, and getting the float level set properly. One of the fuel lines runs behind the flywheel going thru the cooling fins and they can be a little tricky replacing without removing the flywheel. Also check the little thin "Primer" line where they mount to the carb, they usually break when they get hardened or weak and tear.
The Tecumseh carbs are very close to the Walbro carbs, some are Walbro. Another common thing to replace is the float needle and seat. They did make a special tool that looked like a crochet hook, that was used to remove and install the needle seat, a highly recommended tool to use, but can be done without it, either by using compressed air to blow into the fuel inlet to blow out the seat, or making a tiny hook with a thin stiff piece of wire and grabbing the seat to pull it out. You can use a dowel punch to reinstall the seat, but don't drive it in too far, and make sure you put it in far enough. Thats where the special tool comes in handy. It has the pulling hook on one end, and a stopper on the other end to re-install the seat and to get it in far enough without pushing it in too far.
Thank You for your reply. I appreciate your taking the time to provide good details.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have a model number??? off snapper body????
The snow blower model is I524. The engine is a Tecumseh. From the manual's diagram it's either HS40 or HS50. The electric starter is covering the area where the model number is, according to the manual's diagram. I'll remove the electric starter and get the exact model.

·
Registered
686 Posts
The snow blower model is I524. The engine is a Tecumseh. From the manual's diagram it's either HS40 or HS50. The electric starter is covering the area where the model number is, according to the manual's diagram. I'll remove the electric starter and get the exact model.
What Manual do you have????

·
Registered
686 Posts
If you are standing at the helm of your snapper....If you look in front of your chins....(access/belly pan) usually there is a sticker there or metal tag????

Any numbers......???? Usually there is a Model and a serial number

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you are standing at the helm of your snapper....If you look in front of your chins....(access/belly pan) usually there is a sticker there or metal tag????

Any numbers......???? Usually there is a Model and a serial number
Snapper Model Number is I5240 (Metal Tag on case)
Tecumseh Engine HS50 67266H SER 8180B

1 - 17 of 17 Posts