Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know how the Snapper Single Stage Snowblowers are? I have the 8 model (horsepower) with electric start. This is last years model that was left over at the dealer. It has never been used and no gas run through it.

I was going to get the Honda HS520 without the electric start and Snapper gave me a good deal.

Now I would like to know how this compares with the Honda?

I live in Ohio and we don't get allot of snow each year, but I wanted to get a snow-blower because I am getting up in years, not old yet.

I just want to know if the Snapper is a very good snow blower or if I got rapped off in comparison with the Honda?

Will it last 20 years? I know the Honda would.

Please give me the low down on this.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
don't want to leave you hanging with no response. i had only had minimal dealings with single stage machines. none of them good but they were also older machines. i have a new (about 5 years old but only used 3-4 times) 5 hp mtd at my parents house for my father to use on light snow. it works well but only up to 5-6 inches.

on another note, i have recently seen some single stage machines in the stores (last year and this) and they come upwards of 8 hp and they are huge compared to the older single stage. hopefully they perform better.

wish i had more info for you.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Basically I'm in a similar situation as my 2012 Canadiana is the same machine as a Snapper/Simplicity. Up to now I can only say that it literally starts at the push of the button and runs nicely with a low tone sound. Actually it’s quieter than I expected.

When I started this year looking for a gas powered single stage snowblower I tried to do my homework as good as possible. I also had to watch the German market for prices and availability. And prices for non-chicom snowblowers are sometimes ridiculous over here. The German version of the Honda w/o electric start goes for about 1200 to 1300 US$, Toro is way overpriced here with their top-of-the-line single stage for 1500 to 1600 US$. :eek:

The Snapper has a big B&S engine, remote chute control and electric start for a very competitive price. For whatever reason the Canadiana-labelled machine is about 22% cheaper over here than the Snapper and I don't care what sticker is on the body panels when everything else is the same.

What did I find out from those reviews I discovered online?
First of all it seems to be a general consensus that the machine is a strong performer.

Then there are also a few comments about the machine's tendency to eat belts. The same was said about my electric snowblower who served me well for the last three years, still on the first belt. I guess it may depend a little on how good you are at reading the noises of a machine.
Nevertheless I will stock up on drive belts for the season, be it for peace of mind or for necessity.

Will the Snapper last for 20 years? May be, may be not; depending on maintenance. No one can tell for a machine which is available now for only one single year. But who can guarantee that we will still get the right gas for those engines in 20 years?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts