Snowblower Forum banner

Snapper tune up parts & belts

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  hawk196 
#1 ·
after about 26 years I think its time to fix up my snapper 7/24 (it really deserves it...lol).

I'd like to change the auger and drive belts, oil change (synthetic??) and spark plug.

Any other parts I should address??

What is a good vendor to buy these parts from?

model number is: 17243

TIA

#2 ·
I switched all my equipment to 5W30 Full Synthetic motor oil years ago ... summer and winter.

I usually get my belts from Amazon ... the Gates PoweRated, or the Kevlar Blue. If the old belts are still in OK condition, keep them for spares.

I rarely ever change a plug ... most my equipment still has the original plug. .... Champion and NKG is what I get if I need one.

Inspect the cutting edge, side skids, axle and auger shaft bushings, friction disc .... ( I use the Arnold Poly Roller Skids over flat paved surfaces ... if doing gravel, use the solid Poly skids.)

Look over everything, for any wear or broken items, or anything out of place.

Prep , prime , and paint is owner choice, or at least clean and spray bare metal with a clear coat. Spraying inside the chute , augers and bucket with a good slick spray like Liquid Wrench M914 Silicone, Fluid Film, Spray Wax, etc ... will assist in protection, as well as non-stick properties for the snow.

#3 ·
WOW, those belts aren't cheap, probably half of what the machine is worth. Does anyone have a part number or schematic? I want to make sure I get the right belts.

I think I have the original plug and it usually starts on the 1st or 2nd pull.

This past winter I added some 5/30 syn and added some Lucas oil treatment. What are the thoughts on adding some techron to clean up the carb?

#5 ·
Reactions: hawk196
#8 ·
No, that link takes you to all the I7243 diagrams. Some diagrams are for machines before 2000, and some are for 2000 and later, and some are for all.

Reactions: hawk196
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.