Snowblower Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
A small update for the 2021-2022 season... I have barely used this snowblower this season as I have had several projects come in. When I finally ran it about 4 weeks ago, it absolutely fell flat on its face in any sort of deep snow, even with the belt tension set to max.

Fast forward to today, I ended up placing two stainless 5/16" washers on each mounting bolt below the engine to raise the engine height ever so slightly, and then I replaced the generic industrial 4L293 (3/8 x 29.3") belt with a Toro p/n 75-9010, which is 3/8 x 29.37:

Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Gas Auto part Motor vehicle

Not only is it back to being a slush-eating little monster, this new belt will be easier to source in the future.

For giggles, I took a picture of it next to my recently acquired 824XL. They share the same auger gearbox, so the gearbox on the 521 looks ginormous inside the 521 bucket.

Snow Vehicle Automotive tire Cloud Slope

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I was parting out an LCT 208cc engine from a Compact 24 that had been hit by a fallen tree branch today, and I noticed that it had a shield over the governor linkage. One side of the shield has a bolt hole near the spark plug area, and the other end of the shield gets mounted to the flywheel cover.

Since the Predator does not have such a shield and its governor linkages are known to occasionally ice up, I decided to see if this shield would bolt up. It DOES physically bolt up on one end, but I have to come up with a way to screw it down onto the flywheel cover:

Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle

Next up, as the same donor LCT 208cc engine netted me a stator that should bolt up to the Predator, I might spring for the flywheel with magnets that's supposed to fit the Hemi Predator ($55+~$15 s&h from V Power Equipment). I wouldn't mind having a headlight on this 6521.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I decided to splurge on the flywheel with magnets from V Power Equipment that has the correct taper for the Hemi crankshaft. V Power suggested a $10 flywheel fan that matches up with that flywheel):

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Wood

The stator was pulled from the same LCT 208cc engine that was damaged by a fallen tree branch. The block was already drilled and tapped for the charging coil mounting screws from the factory:

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim

I ran into a little snag here... The Hemi's flywheel key disappeared to ether, so I had to pull a key from a dead Honda GVC160 mower engine. It was a perfect fit. I also swapped out the flywheel nut for a Honda one:

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light

Here's the headlight pigtail poking out from the flywheel cover:

Electrical wiring Gas Cable Electrical supply Wire

I had just enough time to button everything back up before rain started to fall.

My only concern is whether or not the 2-magnet flywheel is able to work with the 60w LCT stator (I didn't get a chance to test the output), but I can always buy the lower output charging coil that will work with that flywheel). Next up, deciding on which headlight to go with. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
A few more tweaks today....

I splurged on some HDPE skid shoes from eBay. The part number is for an AYP/Murray/Craftsman application, but since they use the same 2" center to center bolt pattern used by the Toro 521, they bolted up perfectly. I was even able to reuse the existing hardware.

Mower Wheel Automotive tire Tire Lawn mower

Next up was getting rid of the 27 year old tires and wheels. The rims were rusty and the tires were showing some dry rot (even though both wheels held air). One of the wheels had been badly seized on to the axle, and prior attempts to remove that wheel had been unsuccessful.

Today's attempt was going to be different, as I was willing to remove the tire AND I did not care if I burned off the valve stem or mangled the paint on the rim. That rim was going to come off today one way or the other!

Even with my new induction heater, progress was slow, as it has a 2 minute duty cycle which then needs a 2 min cooling period. At one point, I was using the induction heater on the inside of the wheel while I had the mapp gas torch on the outside, and vice versa. I kid you not, but 2 mins of heating the wheel would let me move the wheel maybe 1/32" at a time.

I am a stubborn goat, and I eventually prevailed:

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Gas Vehicle brake

Here's the mangled original 27 year old tire:
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Road surface

The replacement rolling stock came from an Ariens 932 series snowblower that I parted out earlier this year. The old Toro rims and the "new" Ariens rims both have a 3/4" ID axle bore. The only mod I had to make was slicing off an inch or so from the inner shaft of the Ariens wheel in order for the dowel holes to match up.

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

The Ariens rims look great and the Snow Hogs have plenty of tread. It really improves the appearance imo. The only possible downside is that the original Toro wheels and tires were slightly taller.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts