Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Not sure if it has changed but in the older models the 20" was a very gimped version and only a forward speed and the larger models had a different drive section, I did have a 24" with the 136cc engine they have on the 20" and it worked surprisingly well but with only 6-8" of fresh snow before it was sold so no idea on how but heavier snow would have been. But the new owner who got it for his father in law says he loved it and his 81 FIL was snow blowing all the neighbors sidewalks because it was so easy to use for him.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
The specs say it has 6 forward gears and reverse. Not to keen on the tiny power plant. I do love my under powered 28” 208 cc snotek, after the first cut in deep snow , it works great taking 24” cuts. I did do the impeller mod, and it will put snow into the power wires. Dont shy away from this budget machine in favor of other budget machines!

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
It has it' niche just like many others. It's size makes it easy to store in a tight garage and easy to take through a service door if need be. BUT given a choice I think most of us would want something bigger.

Why do you say no love ??

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seems there where so many 5-21 combinations around not that many years ago. This has 6 speeds, electric start, an auger assembly that looks to be much higher quality than the mtd or odd builders use, and probably more than enough power for the average Midwest winter. For as often as some people need a 2 stage it might be plenty good enough.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe this thread could be tweaked a bit. Obviously many people here would rather fix an older 2 stage than buy a new POS. What would be the cheapest 2 stage you would recommend at Home Depot for a friend or family member who lived in a city that got 50 or so inches in an average winter? It's kinda tough to decide.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Maybe this thread could be tweaked a bit. Obviously many people here would rather fix an older 2 stage than buy a new POS. What would be the cheapest 2 stage you would recommend at Home Depot for a friend or family member who lived in a city that got 50 or so inches in an average winter? It's kinda tough to decide.
30 inch ariens deluxe 15 ft lbs of torque about 9.8 hp put and impeller kit on it done
better yet buy a used one for 800 to900

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Scrolling down through their current website list, probably the 20" Sno-Tek. It's the cheapest machine from a brand that I feel good about. But that $499 seems to be a sale price, vs $599 usually.

At 136cc, it's cheap, but certainly not powerful. But you have to get to $699 before you can get a 24" Sno-Tek, or 24" Ariens Classic, each of which have 208cc engines. Since they're the same price, I'd go with the 24" Ariens Classic, even if they were the exact same machine (the specs I compared quickly seemed to match), just because Sno-Tek is their low-end line.

Those would be my HD answers, I suppose, depending on what the budget would allow.

You can clear an 18" storm with a 136cc blower, though you'll spend a long time doing it. But it would still beat shoveling! Less powerful machines will require clearing more often, and/or taking narrower cuts. More money gets more power, which will save time, and make it a more-pleasant process. So the buyer would have to decide based on their priorities.

And, like you said, we're often biased towards used machines. I spent less than any of these on my 24" 318cc OHV 10hp Ariens, and I just wait until the end of pretty much every storm, and go clear once. But it needed some work when I bought it, of course.

As for there being no love for Sno-Teks, I'll say that I at least don't see much discussion of them here. Maybe they just don't sell a lot of them, vs the "normal" Ariens machines?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Id rather shovel then use a 208cc
cant fathom you recomending such a pos red lol
if you live in mass and have less then 15 ft lbs you are under powered
buy right the 1st time
dont see why this isnt understood over 20 years its 20 bucks a yr 6 dunkin ice coffees

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
buy right the 1st time
dont see why this isnt understood over 20 years its 20 bucks a yr 6 dunkin ice coffees
rather shovel than run 208cc.....wow. any functioning blower beats a shovel. :wink2:

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
buy right the 1st time

Well, the recent question was for the cheapest suggestion, without a starting point for budget. Since the thread started with the $500 Sno-Tek, I assumed we were talking about that kind of price range. My preference would be a more powerful machine, but I was trying to stay to that range, while avoiding the no-name brands, etc.

If the budget allows for more-powerful machines, those would certainly be worth considering. Or a good-condition used blower.

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
Looks like this is a new model for 2019.
The previous Sno-Tek 20 was the "single speed" model and part of the 939000 series.

This new model is part of the 920000 series, and is 6 speeds forward, 2 reverse.
Its the first Sno-Tek 20 in that configuration..

In the category of "smallest of 2-stage snowblowers", I would recommend one of these over anything else..
Or the Ariens "Compact 20" model.
as long as it can handle your winters..

Scot

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Looks like this is a new model for 2019.
The previous Sno-Tek 20 was the "single speed" model and part of the 939000 series.

This new model is part of the 920000 series, and is 6 speeds forward, 2 reverse.
Its the first Sno-Tek 20 in that configuration..

In the category of "smallest of 2-stage snowblowers", I would recommend one of these over anything else..
Or the Ariens "Compact 20" model.
as long as it can handle your winters..

Scot
That would explain why I remembered the 20” being a different machine, The Sno-Tek line is my favorite budget machine and buy the used ones to repair and resell any time I come across then st a good price.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
buy right the 1st time
A bad day blowing snow is better than the very best day of shoveling.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
A bad day blowing snow is better than the very best day of shoveling.
208cc doesnt blow snow here on the coast of mass it clogs
and you need to to take 1/2 passes
If i can shovel faster then blower then it is useless imo
Now i just fire up the 414cc with 20 ft lbs with the rpms set at 3825 and impeller kit and put the snow or water where ever i choose
208cc is good for texas

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
I'm not on the coast, but still in Mass. I have an 18" electric Toro that I use for my deck. It can only be about 2-2.5hp max continuous, before it would trip a circuit breaker, so I can comfortably state that it's not 5hp or anything. And it's still faster than shoveling. It won't compete with my 2-stage, obviously, but I can keep moving forward continuously with the Toro, while clearing. It's faster than I would be shoveling, with scoop, stop, throw, etc. Plus it's the one doing the work, not me. I just have to keep shoving it forward into the snow.

I respectfully disagree that a small blower is no better than shoveling. But I *do* agree that the proper tool for the job will make for a much better experience.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
208cc doesnt blow snow here on the coast of mass it clogs
and you need to to take 1/2 passes
If i can shovel faster then blower then it is useless imo
Now i just fire up the 414cc with 20 ft lbs with the rpms set at 3825 and impeller kit and put the snow or water where ever i choose
208cc is good for texas
I'm curious, how much snow do you get in your area? Gloucester only gets 42 inches per year on average. Seems pretty light.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I guess I gotta agree to disagree, I AM on the coast almost in the cape and a 208 cc works fine for most snow

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
All three of my go to machines are 208’s, and i havent seen any kind of snow that will clog them.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
It does not work for 3 or 4 foot high plow piles
or anything over a foot of snow without taking half passes
wet snow it does not work for

its a deck snowblower

Ive had them and used just about everything
ariens 732 unsafe

st504 clogged all the time

st824 clogged plenty untill the impeller kit

1332 le a beast nice unit

that silly 2 handle 1000 series unsafe

snotek useless
28 inch 414cc 3825 rpm impeller kit auto turn a proper snow blower

i sold the 1332 i have the st824 with impeller kit even that doesnt like 4 foot wet plow piles without adjusting how you blow
i kept the st824 and have the 28 inch with the 414cc
less then 15 ft lbs is underpowered for 4 foot plow piles and heavy wet snow thats not debatable
every storm we had last year was wet heavy snow 208 cc which is what 10 ft lbs of torque or is it 9 fl lbs? is a joke
I would feel guilty selling 1 to somebody and telling them its all you need to blow snow I woudnt do it
pretty sure the gearbox is cheap and the bucket height is small its not a snowblower for eod
for what someone is going to spend on that 500 bucks they could buy a st824 for 200 spend 50 bucks for tune up new carb and impeller kit and have a useable snowblower
to semi quote yourself dauntee you said people buy it cause it looks new and it shiny lol
thats flipper talk they are not good performing machine
specs

small gas tank
9.5 ft lbs
20 inch height
alum gearbox
12 inch impeller
small tires
those are all fails unless its a deck

If the worst case storm is 20 plus inches of wet snow at any one time you buy a machine built for the worst storm and the rest are a cake walk
your own quote says it works for most snow isnt true it works for 10 inches or less light snow and not at all for the plow pile
some people use a toro power shovel and say that works it takes 5 hrs but it works

1 - 20 of 31 Posts