Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Years ago I bought a 24" Sno-tek from HD. It was a promotional ad. This particular model comes with a 136cc lct engine. I bought it just before a snow storm. The thing never really ran right. Brand new out of the box it always surged. This fall I started it up and then it quit altogether.
Picked up a 212cc harbor freight engine. They had one of the higher performance 212cc engines.
I installed it last week.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There are two pullies on the shaft. The pulley closest to the engine was at first hard to get off. A crow 3' crow bar would not take it off. What did take it off in seconds was a harbor freight bearing puller, a 1/2" impact air wrench, a compressor and WD-40.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There was one very small issue. On the end of the shaft a bolt comes out. That bolt will not fit on the new 212cc engine....it is to big. Get your self a bolt of the same length, fine thread but a bit skinnier (a quick Google search will tell you the size b/c I forgot) and it will hold the second pulley on and the first as well.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
9,900 Posts
Did you transfer the nice mitt sized pull cord handle over to the Predator ??

You're going to love the smoother running more powerful engine. :wavetowel2:
Now you just need to put the old 136cc engine in the classifieds to help pay for the Predator.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I filled the new engine with non-ethanol high test gas. New engine started on the 3rd pull. More importantly it ran right.

I would suggest changing the oil. The oil in the new engine didn't look the best and so I drained what was in there (there wasn't much but what was in there didn't look right) and added new oil.

I hope this helps the family guy who might be on a budget or who enjoys saving money. A $99 dollar engine vs buying a new blower is a no brainer for me. I could have bought a 5k blower but I figured the new shine would wear off quickly.

Side note: Not all harbor frieght predator 212cc engines are created equal. There are differences out there.
There are plenty of modifications that can be made to these engines: rpm limiters can be taken off, muffler mods and spring rates to name a few. I have projects piled up that require my attention so I left the engine as is.

In a week or so, I'll add chains to the tires but that will be about it.

No snow deep enough to blow yet but I'll reply after a few good snow storms.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@ Kissafrog. .....

I knew what was wrong with the old LCT engine. It was leaking gas from the carb.

I gave the old engine away to a new guy at work who has 3 kids. I should have transferred the big handle but didn't think of it at the time. That was a good suggestion. I am sure the new guy will have fun playing with the old engine....maybe he can make it into a father/son project.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
[QUO the TE= Tifford;726721]I filled the new engine with non-ethanol high test gas. New engine started on the 3rd pull. More importantly it ran right.

I would suggest changing the oil. The oil in the new engine didn't look the best and so I drained what was in there (there wasn't much but what was in there didn't look right) and added new oil.

I hope this helps the family guy who might be on a budget or who enjoys saving money. A $99 dollar engine vs buying a new blower is a no brainer for me. I could have bought a 5k blower but I figured the new shine would wear off quickly.

Side note: Not all harbor frieght predator 212cc engines are created equal. There are differences out there.
There are plenty of modifications that can be made to these engines: rpm limiters can be taken off, muffler mods and spring rates to name a few. I have projects piled up that require my attention so I left the engine as is.

In a week or so, I'll add chains to the tires but that will be about it.

No snow deep enough to blow yet but I'll reply after a few good snow storms.[/QUOTE]

Yes. There are lots of high performance parts for the Predator 212cc engine. connecting rods Springs cams flywheel. With the NRacing stage 4 kit 15 horsepower - 212 CCS

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
the oil that was in it was only test/assembly lube mix. you should always fill it even if it already has this oil in it

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We might get anywhere from 1 to 36 inches of snow this weekend. Kind of looking forward to it.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
We might get anywhere from 1 to 36 inches of snow this weekend. Kind of looking forward to it.
geez......your weatherperson is cautious with his/her accumulation numbers !!!!
:wacko:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts