Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

A local guy is selling a Snogo self contained snowblower near me and I’m trying to decide if it is worth purchasing. It is called a “truck loader” on the tag(see picture) and the serial listed is 1538. It is powers by a 350 SBC and the gearbox is free and full of fluid, stored indoors, and seems in good shape but hasn’t run in the last 10 years or so. They are asking 1500 for it as is Good deal or pass?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What are you thinking of mounting it on ???
It’s self contained and has metal skid shoes so I’m just going to push it with my case 780 backhoe. Plenty big enough. It’s more of a long term project, the engine probably needs work too, but I saw ones online like this going for 5-10k running so I thought it might be worth it as a project

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
are you clearing a airport? it's old and very beat up. PASS!
Well I’ve got a mile and and a half of driveway and trials to clear and we average about 300 inches of snow per year and what I have just ain’t cutting it anymore

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
What you need to worry about is the weight as its heavy enough that your excavator will not be able to move it let alone use it.
A larger double auger machine like that is ment to be mounted on a 10 wheel plow truck or an FWD dump truck.

I would pass on it unless you have a heavy 2 axle dump truck that has enough frame steel to weld a mounting frame on it.

What do you use now for snow clearing???

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Backhoe can lift 6400 pounds 12 feet in the air and about 14000 a foot off the ground so weight isn’t really a concern for me. The best that I can tell, the machine is designed to be pushed along the ground like a sled, as there are really heavy 1/2 inch plate skid shoes and there is no mechanism for it to pivot. I’ did some measuring and the brackets are a standard width and will pin right up the the backhoe loader arms with the bucket removed. Right now I just push and lift the snow with the 780 front bucket which works but is incredibly time consuming.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It’s part blacktop and part sand but the sand freezes rock solid in winter anyway. I know it’s gonna take a bit of tinkering and problem solving, I’m just trying to figure out if it is a good price for it or not. I can always get it running and sell it later if it is a good price for what it is inherently

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
That's funny, the different perspectives on this stuff. My reaction was that it's a massive piece of equipment, for the price of a mid-range new walk-behind. But it ought to clear just a little bit faster. Therefore it seemed like a good deal to me, given those very-basic criteria.

Can you get a big snowblower to mount to your equipment? That's probably easier to get going, but maybe something like 5-10X the cost?

I dunno, with what you're up against, for the driveway, it seems like it might be worth a shot.

A big truck with a plow might do it too, but I'd guess that you might start to have trouble if you couldn't plow until there was already a lot of snow on the ground? I get the impression that blowers handle deep stuff better than plows, at least if traction is a problem.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
only way i would consider it is if you were getting it for scrap price. there is a good chance you would have to spend another couple thousand in repairs/maintenance it needs from sitting outside in the elements. i wouldn't surprised me if every singe hydraulic line needed to be replaced from just sitting outside. also to me it doesn't look like it is meant to just be pushed. looks like the tractor would need to support/lift the back side and you would need to make a mount of some sort to do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah you’re right there, it does need a lot of work, but I’m looking for a long term 25+ year solution to 350 inches of wet snow a year. I’ve rebuilt so many 350 SBCs that i can practically do it blindfolded. I’m not gonna use it this winter probably. Just tying to gauge the general opinion here. He said he’d go as low as 750 if I loaded it which is probably darn near scrap price by the looks of it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yeah you’re right there, it does need a lot of work, but I’m looking for a long term 25+ year solution to 350 inches of wet snow a year. I’ve rebuilt so many 350 SBCs that i can practically do it blindfolded. I’m not gonna use it this winter probably. Just tying to gauge the general opinion here. He said he’d go as low as 750 if I loaded it which is probably darn near scrap price by the looks of it.
I think you'll find it useful from what you say. Plus you have something to push it around (in the warm)...!
Might be a fun project. And 300+ inches of snow a year I'd be thinking something bigger than my 5' plow and 24" snowblower too. .!👍

·
Super Moderator
toro 928 ohxe 38801,
443 Posts
now i understand more why the need, super lake affect snow falls. agree about the point when a loader or plow no longer work due to plow banks and drop zones being more than any machine can do, more where one could use a train loco with a rail line blower in front .

·
Super Moderator
2,726 Posts
Quite frankly I expect that to have a lot of weight to lift on a tractor, bit I'm no expert on this. I know a guy that bought an old Army 2.5 ton truck for hauling logs, I think something like that would be a good vehicle to hang a big blower on, especially with it having a drive axel in front also.
Just a thought.

·
Super Moderator
toro 928 ohxe 38801,
443 Posts
one thing i hope is that the OP understands this is a hobbyist home owner type of forum, and that he is asking for help on a very large industrail/ air port/highway machine that most have never seen. save maybe a handful who know of rail road machines

1 - 20 of 24 Posts