Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I purchased a SnoTek 24 last winter and used it once or maybe twice. I hauled it out a few days ago to get it ready and I noticed that the aluminum impeller gearbox is covered with a white layer of corrosion. Is this a common problem and is it something to worry about? Should I try to find something that will protect aluminum?

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Just wipe it off with something. W-D 40 would work well. Nothing to be overly concerned with. This is nothing more than aluminum " rust". Have you opened the hood on a car that's been sitting outside for a whole year without being started or run? You'll see the same corrosion covering the alternator. . If you're in a heavy salt area I'd probably rinse the whole machine down after use.

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
yep, aluminum will oxidize..nothing to be concerned about.
I wouldn't bother to try to remove it, it will just come back..
I would just leave it alone.

it will form a protective layer of oxidation, but it wont get worse and eat through the metal like rust can do with steel or iron.

but if you remove it, and constantly let it re-form, you could gradually remove metal..which wont happen if you just leave it alone:

The Amazing Rusting Aluminum | Popular Science

scot

·
Registered
939 Posts
An end of season wash followed by a good WD40 shower on everything but the rubber tires/handle grips will keep your equipment looking fantastic for years.

10 minutes of time and $4.95 worth of WD40 does wonders.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts