Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had the opportunity to pick up a give away 1963 Snow Bird model 242. Was expecting a non running machine to tinker with but instead got a machine that starts on the first pull and may need nothing but a shear bolt. "My Dad bought this new in 1963, here's all the manuals." I was shocked. Does anyone know a good, available / equivalent, replacement for the shear bolt? Also, can anyone tell me if the wheels are supposed to rotate independently, as in opposite directions when turning around? Or do these operate in straight lines only? Wasn't exactly expecting modern features but seems nuts that I throw it in gear and it just takes in a straight line till pulled back into neutral.

·
Banned
474 Posts
There is a wheel engagement rod on the right side of machine, when pushed down both wheels are locked to the axle. When pulled back wheels are disengaged allowing easy turning. At the top of machine is the stick to control forward/neutral/reverse.

When a tight turn is needed shift the stick to neutral then disengage wheel engagement make the turn re-engage wheels and push stick forward again.

Many axle-wheel assemblies have gotten destroyed by folks who engage-disengage wheel rod under power without first shifting to neutral.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts