Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have started a Snow Bird webpage! :D
It's in its early stages right now, very incomplete!

If anyone has any photos, or drawings (manuals) or suggestions, corrections, data, history, anything at all, I would love to hear about it! :D

If anyone wants to share photos of their Snowbird for the webpage, I would love to have them! You will have your name and a "photo credit" on the page..

For my Ariens snowblower page, I realized that not everyone would want their *full* name on the page..(for privacy reasons, and for security reasons)..So I never use anyones full last name..I just say things like "Here is a nice Model 225 owned by Jason K. of Erie, PA"..things like that..I will do the same for the Snowbird page..

Here is the page:
Snowbird Snowblowers

thanks,
Scot

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
how about a toro page ??!! :)

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
even thow its in the early stage the snowbird page looks pretty good

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how about a toro page ??!! :)
If one is ever made, it probably wont be by me! ;)
I am already up to three brands (Ariens, Snow-Bird, Wheel Horse tractor, and I still want a Cub Cadet tractor! ;)
That will be it! I will probably never own a Toro..
Someone might make a Toro page someday though..

even thow its in the early stage the snowbird page looks pretty good
Thanks! :D

Scot

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
i've been looking at some toro WH 520's but i don't know enough about tractors to just go buy one and everyone i talk to says to make sure it comes with all the attachments you think you need
i've though about a toro snowblower page since i looked at your ariens page but not sure how to get one together

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
'doh! I just noticed a major "bug" in the formatting of my webpage!
(I learned HTML about 15 years ago! ;) my skills are out of date..and I dont know CSS..I need to learn it..)

For people using Firefox, its all fine..displaying normally.
For people using Internet Explorer, the page isnt displaying correctly!
(stupid Microsoft! ;)

The background image for the tables isnt displaying at all in Internet Explorer..
which is ok for most of the tables, because they have a default white background..
but for the "Generation 1" table, for a reason I cant figure out yet, the background isnt white! its red..which means all the text in that table is "invisable" because its the same color as the background! You can see it if you highlight the text, or right-click on the page and choose "select all"..which will then make all the text readable..

Sorry about that! I will get it fixed with the next update, which should be coming in a few days..(I should have checked it in IE before I uploaded the page! rookie mistake..)

Scot

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Snowbird model FB is believed to be the first Snowbird model,
from 1958. The source for that information is a 1968 document that is hosted on the snowbird yahoo forum:

groups.yahoo.com/group/SnowBirdSnowblowers/files/SB Mdl,Specs,Dates.PDF

(you might have to be a member of that forum for the link to work..if it doesnt open for you, this is the forum:
groups.yahoo.com/group/SnowBirdSnowblowers )

Being an actual Snowbird or Snowbird/Yardman document from 1968, I would consider it very reliable..(I don't doubt the existence of the FB)

I have found photos or drawings for all the early models except the FB.
Google also can not come up with anything about the FB on the entire internet!

Has anyone ever seen a photo, drawing, owners manual, etc. for the model FB?

thanks,
Scot

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
possible snowbird snowthrower for sale in my area but not sure
snowblower snow blower 6hp
That one has been for sale for over a year..
I think they were asking $200 last winter.
(I live in Rochester..I have seen it on Craigslist for awhile!)
Its missing some sheetmetal, which is obvious from the home-made replacement..although that appears to be the only piece missing..
I dont know how hard it would be to find the replacement part.
(probably fairly difficult)

IMO, $100 is an "ok" price..not too high, but not a bargain either..
I wasnt interested when I first saw it, just because of the missing metal.
Scot

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey everyone,
I just uploaded a HUGE update to the Snowbird page! :)
The page has probably doubled in size.
photos of Eleven new snowbirds have been added!
plus lots of new data on model numbers, features etc.

Thanks to Ari, Dave B, Jeff R, Tim P, Michael D, Bob D, Big Ed, Alan K, Damon R, and James B. for all the new photos! :)

The updated page:
Snowbird Snowblowers

Scot

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Yay! I'm famous!!!! :D

Wheres your bird decal Tim?

On the 262 (next picture after Tim's), Anyone know what the white and red thing is on the top cover by the shift lever?

Scot did you get my note?
Copy and paste,
THAT ROUND BIRD DECAL ON YOUR SITE IS OFF OF A S-262'S FRONT COVER WHERE THE PULL ROPE IS.

That is where that round snow bird came from, the one on your site that I questioned a while back.

Now if I could only find a FB model. :D
I would be the number 1 Snow Bird owner, somewhere, someplace, someone must have one.
I will give the pickers a call and tell them to be on the lookout for a FB model.:p

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
For the benefit of this forum, here is a post I just made on the yahoo snowbird forum. (the yahoo snowbird forum, and this snowbird forum on snowblowerforums.com, are the only two places on the internet where Snowbirds are being discussed)

Thanks everyone! :)

glad you are enjoying the page!

Jim and Ari,
looks like you did in fact discover a "missing link"! awesome!
(this is why I make these pages! ;)

The manual Ari found:

Yard-Man Snow Thrower Operating Manual And Parts List | ManualsOnline.com

Is the model 7020-0. I did have that model number listed on the webpage, as a "Gen 2" model,
but I didnt know anything about it..The manual has a date of 1973 on the last page,
which is 2 years before the MTD takeover. So we can confidently call this a "Gen 2" model..
but it is clearly a transitional model..The original snowbird (Gen 1) bucket and auger drive system
still appears to be in place, but the tractor unit is now no longer the Gen-1 design, and they have
transitioned to that unusual "side drive" out of the side of the tractor! I suspect there were not many models made with this system. I do have a notation that MTD closed the original "George" plant when they took over the Yardman/Snowbird line in 1975, so I suspect that was the date when they moved over to a "traditional" friction disk drive..So its likely this "transitional" model 7020 (and others like it, if there are other models) probably only existed for a few short years in the early 70's..Thanks for the cool discovery! :) I will get this new information added to the page soon..
thanks,
Scot
from: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/SnowBirdSnowblowers/conversations/messages/5431

thanks,
Scot

1 - 20 of 23 Posts