Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How about some discussion on the various spray products that are available for use on snow removal equipment.
If you have actual experience with the product, great.
Otherwise, just give us your thoughts on some of the products you have heard or read about.

Some thought on products I have used.

WD40: Cheap and easy, but not great at lubrication or freeing up seized threaded parts. I use it very little.

PAM: Never used it on a snowblower, but I have read that it works pretty good. Seems a little pricey for use on the snow equipment.

Sno-Go: Never used it, but it also has quite a few supporters. Not cheap, either.

Fluid Film: I have only used this as a lubricant so far and it seems to do a good job. Rust and corrosion prevention are supposed to be quite good with it. It has almost a cult following. Bought mine at a John Deere dealer for about $9.

CRC Silicone Spray: I use this a lot and have used it on snow shovels in the past with some success in keeping the snow from sticking. I'm not sure it has a long life as a lubricant.
I have never felt I needed anything in the chute of my snowblower, but I do think I will try it this season. At $3 a can, it is about as inexpensive as I have seen.

This snow season, I plan to use both the Fluid Film and the CRC Silicone and see if I can tell any difference in snow throwing.

Based on what I have read, I definitely think the Fluid Film is the better product for lubrication and corrosion prevention.

Comments????

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Ive used pam [well... store brand realy] and silicone spray. Bolth have worked real well for me, and if you get store brands its a lot cheaper.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Anyone ever try Slip Plate? We used to spray this stuff on the bottom of drag boats. Going to have to look around and see if I have any left. We would get it at Tractor Supply.
Below is from their website talking about snow blowers. I also included the link.

2-Stage Snow Throwers/Blowers:
Issue: Heavy wet snow sticks to the metal discharge chute and throwing stage, causing the thrower/blower to clog.
Solution: SLIP Plate Aerosol can be sprayed on the inside of the chute and on the throwing stage of the blower, creating a hydrophobic surface to reduce the build up of wet snow and allow the machine to operate better with less clogging. The graphite coating will also create a barrier between the high moisture environment and the metal, reducing corrosion of the equipment when properly applied.

SLIP Plate®

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Lots of people simply wax the inside of their chutes.
I have done that to my new machine. :)
If I remember correctly, the Sno-Go product has wax in it.

Anyone ever try Slip Plate? We used to spray this stuff on the bottom of drag boats. Going to have to look around and see if I have any left. We would get it at Tractor Supply.
Below is from their website talking about snow blowers. I also included the link.

2-Stage Snow Throwers/Blowers:
Issue: Heavy wet snow sticks to the metal discharge chute and throwing stage, causing the thrower/blower to clog.
Solution: SLIP Plate Aerosol can be sprayed on the inside of the chute and on the throwing stage of the blower, creating a hydrophobic surface to reduce the build up of wet snow and allow the machine to operate better with less clogging. The graphite coating will also create a barrier between the high moisture environment and the metal, reducing corrosion of the equipment when properly applied.

SLIP Plate®
The product sounds interesting, but the only graphite lube I ever used was a gray/black staining mess. Used it once. :eek:

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
The product sounds interesting, but the only graphite lube I ever used was a gray/black staining mess. Used it once. :eek:
The stuff we used on the drag boats was a gray/black covering like paint. I would not say it was a mess but if you rubbed your fingers on it, even after dry, your fingers would come away slightly stained.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Well I rummaged around a while and darned if I didn’t find an old can of Slip Plate lying around. Price tag is $4.99 so I am guessing it is from 15 years ago. We would spray this stuff on the back 1/3 of the bottom of our drag boats. Was supposed to cut down the friction of the hull going through the water. There aint much in the can but I hope it’s enough.

I never heard of anyone actually testing this stuff to see if it worked. I suppose one day a boat won the race and had this stuff on the bottom. After that everyone had to have it weather it had anything to do with the win or not.

Here is what the old can looks like.

I guess I just figure it can’t hurt cause I aint going to do any testing either. I’m just going to spray it on the inside of the chute and be done with it. This next photo is the chute as is before applying the Slip Plate. I put some tape on the edges of the chute to catch over spray.

Well there wasn’t much in the can but I did get a fairly good coat. This last photo is after painting.

If it ever snows here I can try it out.

·
Retired Moderator
3,149 Posts
Hopefully everybody will chime in with the results they get from what ever product they use. It'll be interesting to hear how they all work.

It would be nice to share what kind of machine the product was used on.

What type of material the chute is made of, metal or plastic.

Whether the snow was wet and heavy or powdery and light.

·
Registered
93 Posts
funny subject

I use to use WD40 when then machine was dry.....the solvents did wash out some lubrication, yet leaves a film when the solvents evaporate.
Then I remembered how we avoided ice build up on our racing snowmobiles.
Very inexpensive solution, Pledge furniture polish sprayed on when unit is dry. Spray everything! Works great and doesn't make any mess at all.:D
Really works well on plastic parts as well as painted metal. Causes absolutely no damage on anything.

BTW it also works for the underside of lawn mowers, weed whackers, edgers or any machine you don't want build up to occur. My neighbor used it on his little garden tiller and WOW did it help.
And yes, I use it on the race bike too!

·
Retired Moderator
3,149 Posts
Pledge furniture polish sprayed on when unit is dry. Spray everything! Works great and doesn't make any mess at all.:D
Really works well on plastic parts as well as painted metal.
...and don't forget that fresh lemony smell too!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hopefully everybody will chime in with the results they get from what ever product they use. It'll be interesting to hear how they all work.

It would be nice to share what kind of machine the product was used on.

What type of material the chute is made of, metal or plastic.

Whether the snow was wet and heavy or powdery and light.
As requested.
Toro 421QE Single stage with plastic chute
Collinite #845 Insulator Wax on the chute
Combination of snow. What fell was light and powdery. 4" to6" (Twice)
Wet slushy stuff from the plow at the EOD and on my sidewalk. 6" to 10"
No snow or slush accumulation in the chute whatsoever.
Doesn't make much sense to try any other products since I have no problem with just the wax on the chute. I almost wish I had tried it with nothing on the chute to see if anything was really needed.

·
Retired Moderator
3,149 Posts
Thanks for the review Charles. I recommended the cooking spray to another fellow here who had just got himself a used John Deere 2 stage with a metal chute. He used it once on some powdery snow, and then once again with some wet stuff. Said it seemed to work pretty good both times.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I use to use WD40 when then machine was dry.....the solvents did wash out some lubrication, yet leaves a film when the solvents evaporate.
Then I remembered how we avoided ice build up on our racing snowmobiles.
Very inexpensive solution, Pledge furniture polish sprayed on when unit is dry. Spray everything! Works great and doesn't make any mess at all.:D
Really works well on plastic parts as well as painted metal. Causes absolutely no damage on anything.

BTW it also works for the underside of lawn mowers, weed whackers, edgers or any machine you don't want build up to occur. My neighbor used it on his little garden tiller and WOW did it help.
And yes, I use it on the race bike too!
I use Pledge to wax my motorcycle as well.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts