Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the snow is flying somewhere;

I have been looking at my options and even shudder/groan/ugh looked at a replacement 2 stage snow caster for the 44 inch RAD/JD snow blower that came with the JD LA115 lawn tractor and seeing the construction of the Bercomac 40 and 44 inch snowblowers made quick work of the thought that a new replacement would be better HAAA!!!!!!!!

Yes I know snow blowers do not belong on lawn tractors! The money I have spent to just appease this snow blower eh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But at the time I needed to buy a 2 ton dump trailer 6 years ago to haul 33 full cords of free firewood and bagged and bulk coal to heat the homestead on my mountain.

To the root of my toothache haha;

Has anyone put an atv snow blower on the front or back of a lawntractor?

I know of one unit made in Finland that is a single stage with a direct chain drive to the rotor and it has a 13 horsepower single cylinder Briggs and Stratton engine.

My thinking is the single stage unit weighs much less than the rtv/atv2 stage units with less to go wrong mechanically simply because its a single stage unit with common readily available parts-roller chain, rotor bearings, engine parts etc.

It has a remote control cable to control the chute, spout, throttle etc. with an on off switch that can operated from the seat.
SO one could operate the snowblower side saddle with the left foot for the forward and reverse pedals of the lawn tractor.

The LA115 is 2 wheel drive has loaded rears and 82 pounds(2-41 lb of suitcase weights) plus my dead weight haha.

An atv/rtv winch is used to lift the snow blower when transporting it.

So mounting it up front would require some work with the ATV mounting frame and perhaps fixing it so the side frame connects with a hitch ball on the rear of the LA115.

Lifting it would be an issue BUUUUTTTT my brain tells me I could do this with a servo motor trailer jack with a wheel set but traction would be and issue and adding 2 bags of tube sand and laying them across the suitcase weights would work but the issue
of 2.5 horse power to the drive wheel is an issue in any case.

I will be using the V bar chains from the old tractor this year instead of the 2 link ladder chains I ended up using due to the odd tire size of the LA115.

I guess option 2 would be to purchase a used ATV/RTV to use to remove snow but $$$$$$$$$$$$$ is an issue.

Option three is to invest in a Yamaha YS1028EJ and just saying the he// with it. The YT624EJ is to small for what I need most years with the crap they bury me with every winter and I can then PIMP out the snow blower with my 4 existing magnet mount flashers and a small LED lightbar haha.

At least I know I can depend on my 4th TORO-a CCR3000 power paddle single stage snowblower- It barely used half a tank of mixed gas cleaning up after the LA115 broke down during winter storm Stella as the LA115's snow blower crapped out after clearing less than half of a single pass of an 80 foot length of 2 car driveway.

I still have the 3rd Toro 20 inch unit I bought in 1986 and it still runs very well. I would still have the two previous snow pups but the main bearing frame crapped out on both of them requiring a new snow pup to replace it.

I wish I still had the 1967 model 12-HP IHC hydro cub cadet with the Kohler engine with the single stage snowblower I grew up with.

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Leonz,

What if you look for a good used Honda HS828TA/S, HS928TA/S, HS1132TA/S or HS1332TA/S.
If you feel the GX240 or GX270 engines are too under powered for the 28" auger housing I'll help you upgrade the engine to a GX340 or a GX390 engine (you can get some good used one reasonably priced).
Or if you get a 32" unit and you feel it is too wide for your needs I'll help you modify the auger housing to 28"

How about this forth option.....??? :grin:

:blowerhug:

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am dreaming and drooling right now-the dog made me lose the last message I was typing GGGRRR.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Are Zaugg's manufactured in Switzerland?
Another view of the one leonz posted above.

I'd like to see a ELIET when it comes to stuff from that side of the pond.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The more I think about that beautiful Zaugg snow bear the more I like the idea of mounting a Pronovost 2 stage unit on it with a rotating impeller drum TRC 72" model and adding the extended chute option and a big LED light bar.

The Pronovost P720TRC model weighs in at 841 pounds without the extended chute and operates at 540 RPM.

The Zaugg snow bear has plenty of PTO and hydraulic power for the snow blowers chute and spout control as well as the twin hydraulic motors for the chute rotation and the impeller drum rotation function.

The rotating impeller drum model is the best option as it eliminates any chance of clogging the chute and spout from heavy wet snow.

The rear of the P720TRC model is shown in the image and it shows the left discharge as well as the vertical chute discharge. the right discharge port cannot be seen in this image but the video I have seen of it operating on tractor by net shows a fire hoses worth of snow being cast out of the snow blower impeller drum.

Edit:
The Pronovost TRC720 has an open auger ribbon-not happy about that. The impeller has 4 curved paddles also.

IF these two beautiful machines landed in my driveway on a 2 ton flatbed trailer with a beaver tail ramp:

I would spend time building a three point hitch quick hitch to mount both this snow blower and a Riest series 1000 single stage snow thrower with the hydraulic chute and spout system

On the Pronovost TRC-720 the first thing I would do is line the impeller housing with blue strip slick sheet from horn plastics using the flat head bolts from Gemplers to secure the plastic sheeting to the housing.
The second thing I would then remove the auger ribbon and have serrations cut in the ribbons to break the snow up even further to make it easier to eject through the impeller housing.
The third thing I would do is line the cross auger housing and the end weldments with the Horn plastics blue stripe slick sheet.
The forth item on the agenda would be to line the chute extension and spout with the Horn plastics blue stripe slick sheet material.

I need snow, not an intervention ha!!!

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts