Snowblower Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Phendric, welcome aboard!! I guess I've lived in Boston MetroWest for 30 years now. The winters and their snowfall amounts are hugely variable - - I suspect you've figured that out already. I've had 4 late model Ariens and a big MTD machine. My only recommendation is buying something with an engine bigger than you think you need. We get those brutally heavy and wet snow falls that require some real horse-pressure to move. There's simply no alternative to big displacement.

I've settled on the 24" SHO machine and a 21" single stage, both by Ariens. I'm having good luck with that combo. My driveway is about 240' long, paved and steep.

Buy/order soon !! You're going to be in trouble as soon as the weather turns cold if you don't.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Update: I just called the local dealer. They have 24" Hondas (both wheeled and track) and they have a 28" track. No 28" wheeled. They've also received word from Ariens that they'll be getting a platinum 24 SHO or two in the next couple of weeks.

I add this just because any recommendations will need to be matched to local supply.
I'd get the honda if in your price range while they have them in stock. Since your driveway is long and flat i would get a wheeled machine.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
For a better apples to apples comparison, you should be comparing the Ariens Professional series snow blowers with Honda machines.
Oh! Didn't realize Honda essentially only makes professional machines.

A ford will get you from point A to B, as well as a BMW ... depends on how you want to get there and arrive ... :)
Just the status they have earned for dependability , other makes from Japan were pricey too I think like Yamaha ?
Thanks. I can relate to the BMW analogy a little better than the Rolls Royce one. :cool:

Phendric, welcome aboard!! I guess I've lived in Boston MetroWest for 30 years now. The winters and their snowfall amounts are hugely variable - - I suspect you've figured that out already. I've had 4 late model Ariens and a big MTD machine. My only recommendation is buying something with an engine bigger than you think you need. We get those brutally heavy and wet snow falls that require some real horse-pressure to move. There's simply no alternative to big displacement.

I've settled on the 24" SHO machine and a 21" single stage, both by Ariens. I'm having good luck with that combo. My driveway is about 240' long, paved and steep.

Buy/order soon !! You're going to be in trouble as soon as the weather turns cold if you don't.
Thanks. And yuuup (to the "buy soon").

I'd get the honda if in your price range while they have them in stock. Since your driveway is long and flat i would get a wheeled machine.
Thx. 24" is the only wheeled Honda they have, which is too bad: I like the larger engine in the 28".

·
Registered
193 Posts
Don't get a tracked Honda (or any other make of tracked snowblower) because you don't need it with your flat driveway. The disadvantages of a tracked snowblower will out-weigh its advantages. Tracks are not nearly as maneuverable as wheels. When it's time to put away the tracked snowblower in a garage, its tracks make it even more difficult to push across the dry garage floor.

There are not enough heavy winter snow storms around here (I'm located in Plymouth, MA) to justify tracks with the exception of the Winter of 2015 (Winter from hell!). A wheeled Ariens is likely your best choice but the wheeled Honda is likely a better built machine. A hydrostatic drive comes into its own when tackling the heavy snow windrow left behind by the snowplow. It's easy to work the hydrostatic transmission between forward and reverse repeatedly to chip away at the snow windrow.

I've been running an Ariens ST-824 (8 HP 24" wide) for 32 years on a driveway with ~five times more surface area than your driveway. The only time the Ariens struggles is when heavy, wet 12"+ deep snow needs to be thrown twice; that is, the snotblower couldn't discharge the snow far enough to eject it from the driveway and it fell back onto the driveway. I'm sure an impeller kit would eliminate this shortcoming.

It's only under these conditions where use of my Honda HS1132TAS (tracked) would probably be better because it's powerful enough to discharge the wet snow so high and far that it doesn't land on the driveway and require a second launch. As for its tracks, they are bad on a gravel surface at the very beginning of the Winter or near the very end of Winter. Only when there is a thick ice layer on the driveway from repeated snow storms during the coldest Winter months do the tracks come into their own. The last time that occurred was during the Winter from hell and that was the last time I used that big Honda machine. For all other times, an 8 HP, 24" wheeled Ariens Sno-Thro is completely adequate.

Find Jack Melanson in Hudson, MA (he's on the Ariens sub-forum) and see if he can sell you an Ariens SHO Sno-Thro with a 6-blade impeller and tall discharge chute. That machine will handle anything you'll encounter in eastern Massachusetts.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Welcome!

I have the Ariens deluxe 28SHO and a tracked Honda HSS928CTD.

The Ariens would definitely handle your snow moving needs and it’s one of the best bang for the buck models out there. My driveway is sloped and uneven, and i there is also a gravel alleyway that I move snow on, so I decided to give the tracked Honda a go. While the Ariens got the job done, it’s quite a bit easier for my needs with the tracked unit.

There is definitely a major price difference between the Honda and HSS, and given how well the SHO Ariens performs, the short answer is, no, the price hike does not mean you are getting a huge performance difference.

The main differences with the Honda are hydrostatic drive, auto style starter, Auger hydraulic adjust, electric chute controls, trigger steering, and of course tracks. Obviously different house brand engines.

You are primarily paying for bells and whistles, with the extra features and there is always a price hike going to a hydrostatic drive. With that said, i really like the Auger height adjust for going off pavement and just for moving the machine when not blowing snow. The electric chute controls offer extra articulation on the Honda and is useful for snow placement. Downside is future maintenance because of the electric motors and controls that will inevitably fail. Tracks offer more traction and I find the Honda to be more effective at removing the end of drive pile left by the plow. It digs in more whereas wheeled units tend to ride up and over. Some Ariens owners add weights to the front to alleviate this because the newer machines have a weight bias behind the axles.

I have noticed my Honda starts easier, is a touch quieter and runs a bit more smoothly than the Ariens. Do I think it’s really worth the premium in price over the SHO? No, not really but it comes down to preferences. Good luck.

·
Registered
902 Posts

Thanks. I can relate to the BMW analogy a little better than the Rolls Royce one. :cool:

Thx. 24" is the only wheeled Honda they have, which is too bad: I like the larger engine in the 28".

I understand if you want the larger clearing width, but the 24 inch honda is more than capable of handling most any storm. you will need to make more passes but the 24 will be more maneuverable than the 28"

that being said what is the HP / Width ratio of both machines.
good luck on your quest. I believe most places will sellout very quickly this year and restocking may difficult.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
<snip>

Find Jack Melanson in Hudson, MA (he's on the Ariens sub-forum) and see if he can sell you an Ariens SHO Sno-Thro with a 6-blade impeller and tall discharge chute. That machine will handle anything you'll encounter in eastern Massachusetts.
Thanks for the advice. I'll try IMing Jack (I've tried twice, but something about the message keeps getting flagged as "spammy" and then my account gets locked; I don't know why.)

There is definitely a major price difference between the Honda and HSS, and given how well the SHO Ariens performs, the short answer is, no, the price hike does not mean you are getting a huge performance difference.

I have noticed my Honda starts easier, is a touch quieter and runs a bit more smoothly than the Ariens. Do I think it’s really worth the premium in price over the SHO? No, not really but it comes down to preferences. Good luck.
Thanks.

I believe most places will sellout very quickly this year and restocking may difficult.
That's what I'm being told.

Another local dealership has 3x Platinum 24" SHO EFIs (#921053). 2019. Anything there that should raise red flags, either the year or the EFI?

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Those "once a year" 15 to 24-inch snows are always heavy/wet snow. The Ariens Deluxe 24 will throw the snow well but the Deluxe 28 SHO will get your driveway cleared a little faster. The Ariens with their 14-inch impeller will not clog on that heavy/wet snow.
You don't need an impeller kit on the Ariens. They will both throw that heavy/wet snow 40 feet or more right out of the box.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I'll try IMing Jack (I've tried twice, but something about the message keeps getting flagged as "spammy" and then my account gets locked; I don't know why.)

Thanks.

Another local dealership has 3x Platinum 24" SHO EFIs (#921053). 2019. Anything there that should raise red flags, either the year or the EFI?
Im not a fan of EFI on a snow blower.

·
Super Moderator
1,818 Posts
(I've tried twice, but something about the message keeps getting flagged as "spammy" and then my account gets locked; I don't know why.)
Sorry about that... for some reason the System keeps flagging your stuff. The only control I have is to go in and clear it as soon as I notice. I'll keep on it and also kick a message upstairs to see what can be done.

·
Registered
902 Posts

Thanks.

The fact that he still has them and they are 2019 models should tell you something. I would not buy an EFI snowblower.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I understand quite a few people have issues with the new EFI systems .... Your certainly not going to fix those for under 20.00 when they go bonkers, like you can with a carburetor.
Im not a fan of EFI on a snow blower.
The fact that he still has them and they are 2019 models should tell you something. I would not buy an EFI snowblower.
Personally agreed about the EFI... over-complication that's not overall beneficial.
Okay, a number of people saying the same thing here. And yes, I thought about the fact that they're 2019.

...but why mess with tried and true.
Because it's what's available?

Ariens Deluxe 28 SHO.
This may be what it comes down to. Smaller body+larger engine+EFI (Plat 24 SHO) or larger body+smaller engine+carbs (Deluxe 28 SHO)?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
...for some reason the System keeps flagging your stuff.
Conversations (IMs) don't appear to like quotes, either from earlier in the conversation or from other forum posts. I've had a warning pop up every time I've tried to put a quote into a conversation.

·
Super Moderator
1,818 Posts
Because it's what's available?
Never settle for less because it's the shiny thing dangling in front of you. They're available because the vote is in.

Wait, and pounce on known good... imo. Thirty year-old machines with carbs will still be hauling ... when parts for the transitional electronics of 'improved' machines have gone the way of the dinosaurs they were supposed to replace, and they'll be scrap.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Are you using the 'Reply' or the 'quote' function?
I've been using both. I forget which (or both) I used for the conversations.

They're available because the vote is in.
Very possibly, yes.

...you will want to make a decision ASAP on your new purchase.
Buy/order soon !!
Never settle for less because it's the shiny thing dangling in front of you.
These are potentially conflicting opinions; finding the right balance between choosing the right product and finding something that's available is always important. :unsure:

I'm also not sure I'm convinced that EFI in a snow blower is bad. There's certainly debate about that with folks arguing it's either great or terrible. Paul Sikkema said in 2018 that it's great (hi @Toolboxhero!), but I don't know if he's changed his mind since then.

I haven't yet gone to look at the EFI machine...that's later this morning. If I feel like I'm settling, I'll walk.

·
Registered
03 Simlicity 860E, 78 Ariens 922022
268 Posts
Just a question/point on engine size relevant to OP's quest... If an older well made respected machine with a L head in good condition is a excellent choice, why must a new machine have a 400cc monster to make the cut. 250cc on a 24" inch bucket is in no way underpowered in my opinion. (Edit. I do not need nor want to throw snow 60 feet. Really, 30 feet or so real world is reasonable)

21 - 40 of 60 Posts