Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
it has started. between two trips today, someone had dropped off a possibly very nice 824 (932100) unit. by the time i got to it the buzzards had already visited! would have been nice to get it complete. that said, i had to take the remainders home. still lots of meat on the bones. comments?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
wow, will be interesting to find out what the problems were.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the vultures took the whole chute assembly and the wheels, at least. the gear box was split and empty. speculate a damaged gear box (maybe gobbled up a brick?). may have arrived with the augers and impeller loose (i looked up the model on a parts site, just one auger side retails for $250). the engine looks fine, missing the carb. has compression. fresh gas smell. the housing metal is in great shape. augers
and impeller look almost new. wish i had seen it arrive, could have talked to the owner.

not sure what the year is yet. anyone know of the search engine for that?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Who ever split up the snowblower did all the hard work. A local shop would charge big money to split open everything and investigate an issue.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Can't believe what people throw away.

Great score, the sheet metal, augers and impeller look like new.

The machine is approximately 20 years old (around 2000).

Reactions: Kiss4aFrog

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, any 824 experts out there? Would like to break down exactly hat is missing. Will provide pics! This thing is too nice to even part out!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the dump attendant knows the person who took some stuff. may have to see about buying it back :(

so, excluding the chute assembly and wheels, would like to understand what big pieces remain missing. obviously will need a new auger gear box (i have the outer casings, and the impeller has something attached). the carb unit appears totally missing (what else there?). two threaded holes on top, not sure about those. pics below:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Personally, I feel that it would take more cash to buy the missing parts than it would be worth. On the other hand, to sell off the parts that you have would probably enough money to buy a very decent machine.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if this was roached, i wouldn't have snagged it. is is very clean, looks like low miles. besides tracking down the removed parts, i can also look for a complete unit on Facebook/craigslist to salvage the missing parts. if this is a 20 yr old model, i could pay 0-50 for an example. buying new parts is last resort.

wonder if other models have interchangeable parts with this unit?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Personally, I feel that it would take more cash to buy the missing parts than it would be worth. On the other hand, to sell off the parts that you have would probably enough money to buy a very decent machine.
what are the best ways to part out snowblowers?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I like the finding another cheap unit idea, and using the other for parts.
i may have missed some parts at the dump. i don't know how it arrived. i see i'm missing the side cover, choke knob/key, probably some other small parts.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
that definitely looks like a nice machine but would cost more to repair than it is worth. definitely might be cheaper to find a machine in rough shape to use as parts. i know there is a ariens 5520 not too far from me that needs a auger gear which you have to buy in a kit with a new impeller shaft which i think it would cost at least $200-250 in parts to repair for a machine that you could find in working condition for about $200-400 depending on condition. i have been tempted to low ball the guy because i could use some parts off it but what he wants is just too much for parts especially with the mild winters we have been having.

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
In the belly of the beast. Comments welcome.

disappointed, this could have been a nice upgrade to my 724. Not familiar enough with all that is missing.
All I can see down there that could be an issue is that the friction plate looks pretty chewed up. Otherwise, looks intact and in great shape. The biggest problem with that unit appears to be all the stupid it had to suffer through before it got to you. I kinda suspect that the friction plate kept it from moving (rubber wheel looks fine) and the owner just cramped up on changing it (or got fed a line of BS by his local shop . . . ).

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
You can tell the impeller was bent up pretty bad by the missing paint on the back side of it where it hit the housing.
That is a common problem when it takes in rocks that hit the impeller before being thrown out the shoot. It bends them downward and that bends the impeller disc/drum back into the housing by the missing paint on the black disc/drum.
That happens when the round sheet/plate part is made from thinner metal.
That is the older model 'Twin Shaft' engine that is becoming rare to find parts for.
A problem with that is it used a counter rotating shaft for one of the drives, so if you replace the engine with a single shaft, something is going to operate backwards, usually when you put it in gear to go forward, it will go in reverse instead. So you would have to put a 'Twin Shaft' engine on it or else do a lot of extra modifications to it to straighten out that problem.
I'm sure it would be a good parts machine for someone who has an older model like it just for some of the hard to find replacement parts.

·
Premium Member
7,030 Posts
at a minimum you have some great parts. spring/summer pick up some more machines and make a great one out of several.

SBA ( snowblower anonymous ) meets here 24/7 365

1 - 20 of 54 Posts