Snowblower Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
You can tell the impeller was bent up pretty bad by the missing paint on the back side of it where it hit the housing.
That is a common problem when it takes in rocks that hit the impeller before being thrown out the shoot. It bends them downward and that bends the impeller disc/drum back into the housing by the missing paint on the black disc/drum.
That happens when the round sheet/plate part is made from thinner metal.
That is the older model 'Twin Shaft' engine that is becoming rare to find parts for.
A problem with that is it used a counter rotating shaft for one of the drives, so if you replace the engine with a single shaft, something is going to operate backwards, usually when you put it in gear to go forward, it will go in reverse instead. So you would have to put a 'Twin Shaft' engine on it or else do a lot of extra modifications to it to straighten out that problem.
I'm sure it would be a good parts machine for someone who has an older model like it just for some of the hard to find replacement parts.
thx for your contributions. you seem to be knowledgeable. regarding the impeller, you must be referring to a few shine bare metal spots on the backside. the impeller metal all looks straight though, don't see any damage. certainly possible an accident is what caused breakage in the gear case, thus rendering it unusable. the machine looks lightly used/well maintained. the oil and gas seem rather fresh. it doesn't seem like a stale machine, but a lightly used one, stored inside. it is about 20 years old.

you mention the twin shaft. is that an unusual configuration for ariens?

it would be nice to find a cheap donor model to get the engine running for a while. then scavenge all the missing hardware pieces great and small and have one nice machine (assuming the 2001 824 was a good machine).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
thx for your contributions. you seem to be knowledgeable. regarding the impeller, you must be referring to a few shine bare metal spots on the backside. the impeller metal all looks straight though, don't see any damage. certainly possible an accident is what caused breakage in the gear case, thus rendering it unusable. the machine looks lightly used/well maintained. the oil and gas seem rather fresh. it doesn't seem likestasle machine, but a lightly used one, stored inside. it is about 20 years old.

it would be nice to find a cheap donor model to get the engine running for a while. then scavenge all the missing hardware pieces great and small and have one nice machine (assuming the 2001 824 was a good machine).
No reason at all that I see to indicate any engine issues, and most of those Tecs went 30+ years . . . If it is as low time as it seems, that hardly seems to be an issue, and certainly no issue to warrant considering a Chinese downgrade at this point.

Were it mine, I'd build it back as stock and run it . . .

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
thx for your contributions. you seem to be knowledgeable. regarding the impeller, you must be referring to a few shine bare metal spots on the backside. the impeller metal all looks straight though, don't see any damage. certainly possible an accident is what caused breakage in the gear case, thus rendering it unusable. the machine looks lightly used/well maintained. the oil and gas seem rather fresh. it doesn't seem like a stale machine, but a lightly used one, stored inside. it is about 20 years old.

I can see the bends in the impeller drum in the first picture. It can be straightened out pretty much without too much work. That is a very common problem, especially if it ever took in a mouth full of stones/rocks at one time. Even larger ice chunks will do that.
The machine doesn't look to be in bad shape. It looks to be a good rebuild-able project.
The 'Twin Shaft' engine was a common sight 20-30 years ago. Manufacturers stopped making them due to its more complicated design and cost to build. They weren't used on too many things, usually a specialized component engine use.
It looks like the engine parts you would need to get it running are common parts that should be able to find, either used or new, the special parts were the rear engine case cover and the camshaft that is used as the extra drive for the extra pulley that is counter rotating, all the other parts like the carburetor are the same as a regular engine.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
so you mean the impeller drum in the bucket. i thought you meant the impeller itself. i'll look at that. may be an optical illusion. are you looking at the 1-3 o'clock zone?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
The impeller itself. Some people call it a 'Drum' because it resembles a drum, but so does the area in the bucket.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
i don't see any problem in the impeller housing or the impeller itself. are you saying the three blades should be straight instead of at a 45 degree angle? i'll have to check the other blowers.

the engine started right up w/gas in plug hole and electric start.

·
Registered
142 Posts
It looks like someone tried to drill the end of the impeller shaft where the impeller pulley is bolted on? Maybe the bolt broke and that is why the owner got rid of it?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
It looks like someone tried to drill the end of the impeller shaft where the impeller pulley is bolted on? Maybe the bolt broke and that is why the owner got rid of it?
i noticed that. i don't know if that is normal or not. i'm not sure how the shaft is connected to the pulley; some sort of yoke?

·
Registered
142 Posts
From your other pictures the impeller shaft has a key that would slide into a groove inside the pulley bore. Then maybe a flat washer, lock washer and bolt hold the pulley in place.

The bolt could have come loose and a wobbling pulley sheared the bolt off. Then someone tried to drill out the remaining bolt still in the impeller shaft. A possibility.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Btw, as if dealing with this dump pick and the free 10ML60 isn’t enough, I’m also dealing that Snowbird dinosaur! Just figured out how to remove the front flywheel cover to repair the starter cord that had to break shortly after getting it. Required unbolting the engine and lifting it about an inch🤬.
End result:

Attachments

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
gonna spend some time at the dump in the blower area. might take some ground pics in case people here see things i don't. hopefully i can bring more parts home. who knows, maybe the chute will return!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
in the 932 series, what other models would be considered direct donor machines? 724, 924, 1024? like to expand my search.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
@rw,

You've surely been bitten by the affliction that most of us hear have .... blower fever.... 😊

I have to force myself to pass machines by, as I have no more room ...... Lol, I sold 4 blowers last fall, and filled the space quickly with another blower, a new JD tow behind core Plug aerator, and an old Ryan walk behind core Plug aerator which runs great, but needs a dismantle and repaint .... Love bringing this stuff back to life .... Being retired helps, as well as the knowledge and tools.

·
Premium Member
7,037 Posts
@rw,

You've surely been bitten by the affliction that most of us year have .... blower fever.... 😊

I have to force myself to pass machines by, as I have no more room ...... Lol, I sold 4 blowers last fall, and filled the space quickly with another blower, a new JD tow behind core Plug aerator, and an old Ryan walk behind core Plug aerator which runs great, but needs a dismantle and repaint .... Love bringing this stuff back tho life .... Being retired helps, as well as the knowledge and tools.
Sounds like me. Glad to see you back. It is great taking a snowblower that was left for dead and bringing it back to life.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
update: just electronically purchased a one owner 20 yr old 824. looks to be fully equipped. regular service. looks like a excellent inexpensive mate to this dump find. hopefully make one nice 824 out of them. excited to see how it works out.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts