Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Lol ...... Sure is addictive, isn't it ....😆
well, over about the past month, i've picked up:

1963 ariens 10m-l60d
1963 snowbird s-263
2001 ariens 824 (dump)
MTD yard machine 31A and craftsman 536 (dump/part)
1965 ariens 10m-l60 (possible hybrid)
TBD 2000 ariens 824

out of pocket: less than $100 (so far).

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
824 (932 series) update: dump pick much superior to $50 purchase, so going that way.

worked on this pair today. swapped the 15x carlisle tires over. removed the auger/impeller/gears from the donor. all parts there. unfortunately, again i have a seized rake! claims of regular maintenance not true. seems like one rake was greased and the other neglected. so, squeezed in grease through the zerks, and standing it up and giving it regular liquid wrench soaks. i'll add heat gun heat later. PLEASE LUBE AND SPIN YOUR RAKES PEOPLE (you must take the shear pins out for the spin).

also got two good belts from the donor. and operating manuals. and extra shears. the chute's intact, though some rust.

QUESTION: should i get any new bushings/bearings etc?

carb swap: the dump pick was missing the heater box and carb stuff including the governor(?). i started the $50 824. it ran rough, sounded like a bad muffler. but it did start, so i pulled the carb stuff. i did not take any set up pics though, and am not sure i got the rods correct. when i push the stop-fast lever, there is very little movement.

also, when i initially primed the dump 824 after the swap, fuel kept spilling out the butterfly choke area. the engine started, then sputtered out. now the primer does not seem to bring in any fuel. the primer line has suction (finger test), but not sucking fuel from the tank.

anyway, if any one has pics or info to contribute, i'm not stopping you!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
The primer is not supposed to "suck fuel from the tank". It applies pressure into the float bowl to force fuel up the main jet into the carb. If the float isn't working right, and the carb is dry, there is nothing that the primer can do. Open that carb and make the trivial effort required to check and clean it!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
thx for the reply. btw, its is not a "trivial effort" if one has never done it before. you may have done many, i've done zero. when i was first priming it, fuel was spilling out of the carb. the engine started, then died. after a few more similar experiences, no more fuel spilled out, and the engine would not run. so it may be that there was fuel in the bowl during the switch, which was used up (an aside, i'm surprised there was not a gas tank shut off at the tank or at the carb).

hitting the primer bulb is now not resulting in fuel flowing. a little stumped by that. did not touch any of the adjustments on the carb.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Before you decide on paint colors, it needs to be set up correctly first to troubleshoot. The governor rod should be a straight run from gov shaft to the throttle arm. Yours is routed under the fuel line/nipple and the spring tensioned throttle arm is positioned incorrectly pointed down around 7 O'clock. It should be standing up, rod above fuel inlet. Search Donyboy 8-11hp Tecumseh on YT.

·
Premium Member
7,036 Posts
when you get a Honda let me know. I need about 15 chassis's. The neighbor complained about all the junk in yard ( this is only part ) and I told him to build a fence.

gold to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Before you decide on paint colors, it needs to be set up correctly first to troubleshoot. The governor rod should be a straight run from gov shaft to the throttle arm. Yours is routed under the fuel line/nipple and the spring tensioned throttle arm is positioned incorrectly pointed down around 7 O'clock. It should be standing up, rod above fuel inlet. Search Donyboy 8-11hp Tecumseh on YT.

thx for the comment. i will check that video. i was watching another 824 video last night that also showed it standing upright, so will address that soon.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts