Snowblower Forum banner

61 - 80 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
So, I ordered a nice aftermarket carb. Installed today. Started up pretty well, but is clearly surging/searching. Governor is moving back and forth. Is this an air/fuel mix issue?
How do I embed a video?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
also, does the "key" really do anything besides some sort of safety feature? i've noticed that snowblowers start up without them (like this one, in which the wire had broken).

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
also, does the "key" really do anything besides some sort of safety feature? i've noticed that snowblowers start up without them (like this one, in which the wire had broken).
When you pull the key out it grounds the ignition the same as grounding the spark plug but in a different location. There's 1 wire going to the back of the key. If you pull this wire off the key won't work. If you have the wire connected and you lose the key, you pull the wire off and it will start. Throttling it down to turn it off.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
If you lose the key, you can file or shape a plastic utensil, .... All it does, as mentioned, is push open the constant connected ground lead.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
So, I ordered a nice aftermarket carb. Installed today. Started up pretty well, but is clearly surging/searching. Governor is moving back and forth. Is this an air/fuel mix issue?
How do I embed a video?
There's a problem with the carb.

2 choices.

Order a new carb or fix this carb.

You should be ordering ONLY an adjustable carburetor. Sometimes you can adjust it out, sometimes,

To fix it, this may work, you can take a welding tip cleaner, remove the main jet that holds the bowl up, if there is an emulsion tube up the main jet tube then remove that and ream it out, you can also try with a micro drill set BUT most likely you will have to remove the side Welch plug and ream those holes out, then buy a new Welch plug, punch it in, then seal it with nail polish.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Get back to the key later. As for the carb, the new one looks like the old one, which kind of looks like the even older Lausen one. Not sure what adjustable is meaning with these. There is a black cap covering what should be an adjustable screw line on the others. Is this what you mean?

pics show new and old 824 carb, plus ‘70s carb.

Attachments

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
and product description:

Carburetor For TECUMSEH 640054 640349 Fits Model HMSK80-155693X HMSK80-155699V HMSK80-155699W Engine

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
No, the black cover is covering the low speed jet. You can pull that out and spray some carb cleaner in and use a welding tip cleaner in the carb hole and the jet, it may run better. That may solve the surging. Surging is a low speed problem, that may be good, if not then you'll have to remove the Welch plug.

An adjustable carb has 2 adjustments, 1 on the side and one at the bowl. Both will have springs.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
ok, so i pulled the black cap off and there is a slotted screw there. your saying that is not part of an adjustment option?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 · (Edited)
also, i'm looking at the "original" carb. it has an etched serial number and some various stamped numbers. i would guess it is original. it has a single bolt bottom (no springs), and a top adjustable screw with a spring, and a lower screw without spring, just like the replacement.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
If you lose the key, you can file or shape a plastic utensil, .... All it does, as mentioned, is push open the constant connected ground lead.
i have the key. the little connection tab that is on the green wire that runs somewhere into the engine broke, so i can't connect the key green wire to anything. i was always under the impression that you needed the key to start engine (not like an ignition key). but i have started blowers without the key. maybe i had the housing off and had disconnected the key green wire. so i guess you are saying i don't need the key set-up if the key wire is disconnected.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
ok, so i pulled the black cap off and there is a slotted screw there. your saying that is not part of an adjustment option?
That is correct, the screw is not an adjustment, the screw is for removal of the jet. It needs to be screwed all the way in but not terribly tight, just in, that's it.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Correct .... As long as any live lead is not grounding anywhere.

The cap on the side is a preset needle which should be just snugged up, just don't go crazy tight.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
also, i'm looking at the "original" carb. it has an etched serial number and some various stamped numbers. i would guess it is original. it has a single bolt bottom (no strings), and a top adjustable screw with a spring, and a lower screw without spring, just like the replacement.
The screw at the top with the spring is the idle adjustment, there is no spring on the jet, that's the one with the black cap.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
i have the key. the little connection tab that is on the green wire that runs somewhere into the engine broke, so i can't connect the key green wire to anything. i was always under the impression that you needed the key to start engine (not like an ignition key). but i have started blowers without the key. maybe i had the housing off and had disconnected the key green wire. so i guess you are saying i don't need the key set-up if the key wire is disconnected.
Correct. Do nothing about the key now since the wire is missing, don't even bother to replace it. The key in my opinion is to prevent children from starting the snowblower.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Correct. Do nothing about the key now since the wire is missing, don't even bother to replace it. The key in my opinion is to prevent children from starting the snowblower.
kind of what i thought, a safety device. the wire is there, just a piece of attachment metal broke.

since the replacement carb is identical to the "original", i'll do a little tweaking to see if it smooths out. can always take the original carb to my local shop and discuss.

·
Premium Member
7,118 Posts
going to the dump tomorrow to drop off some yard waste...........keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
I have to force myself to drive by the metal area, .... No room and too many projects lined up.

but I could not refuse my recent Toro ......😁 lol, I squeezed it in.....

61 - 80 of 118 Posts