Registered
3,005 Posts
Reactions: orangputeh

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
ok, here come some re-assembly questions for the 824. two main procedures:

1) replacing the full auger assembly into the bucket. am i supposed to remove the bearing and mount it and the matching flanges first, then slide the impeller shaft through? the old bearing is on tight. sounds smooth. should i replace it? i tried just putting the whole unit in, but couldn't line the bearing/flange/bolt up with the holes. also, the flag is not a full circle. purpose for that, and does it matter which way it goes?

2) attaching the impeller shaft to the pulley mode. though i bought, and disassembled. the donor 824 in part to get the yoke, i am drawing a blank with what is in front of me. my recollection is that i removed the yoke from pulley face bolts. however, the yoke has three large bolts, as if it is the yoke from the pulley rear. should i have another piece somewhere?

thx!

Attachments

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 · (Edited)
i think i'm brushing back some cobwebs. unlike the 10M, this has a two belt and two pulley system. one pulley is mounted on the rear of the bucket. that is where the yoke goes. yikes! still need to properly mount the auger assembly.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I'm sure that bearing is probably rust welded on the shaft .... You can probably fiddle with it, or if it sounds good to you, just leave it and fiddle with lining up the 3 holes .....your choice.

On that pulley setup, the bucket pulley should just lock over the auger shaft using the keyway as shown, with a set screw or such.

In the future, snap pictures, and bag and tag parts .... Makes it much easier if you can't recall reassembly.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
thx for the help. the bearing did come off. i spins quietly. i looked locally for a replacement, but none in stock (didn't try the dealer). decided to re-use. bolted it down with the flanges, then muscled the auger into place. tied down the sides. added the rear pulley and yoke, adjusted it's spacing. tightened the set screws.

i actually have two different belts left, so i will see which fits properly. gonna use an extra set of hands to bring the two pieces together (unless someone has an easy method; the bottom bolt slip into an open sided hole).

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
Turn the bottom bolts into the bucket threads then they can set into the cutouts in the tractor. I just scooch the two halves together slowly get them aligned and use a belt on the impeller pulley to pull up the bucket half onto the tractor. Clamp your auger engage handle down so brake is out of way. Your impeller pulley and hub seem too close to the auger, but maybe different on yours. My 932104 shows very little impeller shaft to accomplish drive belt to pulley alignment.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 · (Edited)
Turn the bottom bolts into the bucket threads then they can set into the cutouts in the tractor. I just scooch the two halves together slowly get them aligned and use a belt on the impeller pulley to pull up the bucket half onto the tractor. Clamp your auger engage handle down so brake is out of way. Your impeller pulley and hub seem too close to the auger, but maybe different on yours. My 932104 shows very little impeller shaft to accomplish drive belt to pulley alignment.

View attachment 178968
update: (and this may relate to your comment). hooked in the bottom bolts. brought them together enough to put a dummy bolt through one hole. that allowed me to go the other side and adjust and bolt it. returned to the other side and bolted it as well.

as mentioned earlier, i found myself with two slightly different belts left over. took an educated guess and put one on the impeller pulley. moved the blower outside, started out up, drove it. then raised it to see the auger move. it did, then fell silent. the belt has jumped. tried again, same. tried other belt, same. looking at it more closely, it seems the impeller pulley must be to close to the bucket. the belt angle is too much, to the point that the belt barely rides in the auger tension pulley.

don't recall about this adjustment/alignment. i suppose the best thing to do is try to loosen the hex set screws from above (or below) and move the pulley towards the tractor? the distance seems significant, but maybe it really isn't.

is it normal procedure to be able to install the impeller belt while the bucket is attached? hate to have to pull it apart.

here is a pic of the alignment:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,289 Posts
Yeah, what @tadawson & @RIT333 said... That's a recipe for a new gearbox.
people love to be lazy and weld, weld , weld.

why would you weld upper handlebars on a Honda to the lower bars. I have asked owners that and they say they were getting tired of loose handlebars.I tell them they should have DOUBLE bolted the handlebars. I do this all the time. The HS724 and I think the 1132 has double bolts. I dont know why Honda did not do this to the 828 and 928. People say "that's a good idea."

they weld augers on? I guess a $300-400 repair for an auger gearbox is cheaper? Even a used one runs $200-250 plus install.

People will even weld the main gear in the right side tranny to the drive axle when the pin breaks. I guess that is cost effective also. A total rebuild for parts is about $200-300 for a new axle gears, bushings, bearings plus another 2.5 hours ( Honda labor book ) for labor . About $225-250.

A rebuild/service can last another 10-20 years depending on use and upkeep.

but weld that gear onto the drive axle and that may be a recipe for early failure. I think commercial outfits do this since the machine is trashed anyway. practically worthless machines . even the parts are practically worthless.

·
Registered
80 Posts
why would you weld upper handlebars on a Honda to the lower bars. I have asked owners that and they say they were getting tired of loose handlebars.I tell them they should have DOUBLE bolted the handlebars. I do this all the time. The HS724 and I think the 1132 has double bolts. I dont know why Honda did not do this to the 828 and 928. People say "that's a good idea."
@orangputeh

Do you have a pic of this double bolt setup?

Never mind ... had a senior moment. :oops:

Thanks!

121 - 137 of 137 Posts