Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a simplicity snowbuster 828. I put new belts on it and adjusted the skid shoes. We got 3-5” of a lighter snow. The auger didn’t want to pull the snow into the hood. The blower fan blew what little snow it managed to grab with out plugging, but it seamed like the auger wasn’t moving fast enough? Never seen this before.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Someone may have dis-assembled it, and put the Rakes on the Wrong Side.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Strange setup on the 828. Have you looked at what appears to be a chain drive that runs the auger?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Belt too loose ? Or forward speed not fast enough?

Belt was grabbing good with no slippage. I ran the auger in snow with no guard to observe. I also was running in second gear. It was plowing more snow the pulling in. The snow was rolling off the side.

Someone may have dis-assembled it, and put the Rakes on the Wrong Side.

Previous owner said it worked good so I have no idea. But I doubt it was disassembled. When I put a clamp on the auger control and watched it it was pulling snow in the right direction.

I bought a smaller toro 5/21 last year to better handle the sidewalks around my previous house and needed a bigger one for the new house with a bigger driveway. I know at this stage the 5/21 will out blow this one with ease.

·
Registered
233 Posts
You can post a video of the ribbons rotating, they should be gathering the snow from the edges and bringing into the middle. I've had wet snow do similar though and sometimes I just have to run faster to force it back to the impeller.

What you call auger I call ribbons..

I have more hours running an Oshkosh with hundreds of hp than I do of running a walk behind with single/double digit hp numbers and we call them ribbons and they look eerily similar so ribbons it is :)

Attachments

·
Registered
853 Posts
It almost sounds like he has broken "Shear pins" and the augers are not spinning and feeding the blower paddle to throw the snow out the discharge shoot, that would be why the snow was "Dumping" out of the side of the bucket. It is not "Feeding" the blower assembly it sounds like. Or his paddle assembly is not driving/spinning properly. It could be slipping due to a sheared off key-way or broken drive chain or worn sprockets, bad drive belt.

·
Registered
233 Posts
It almost sounds like he has broken "Shear pins" and the augers are not spinning and feeding the blower paddle to throw the snow out the discharge shoot, that would be why the snow was "Dumping" out of the side of the bucket. It is not "Feeding" the blower assembly it sounds like. Or his paddle assembly is not driving/spinning properly. It could be slipping due to a sheared off key-way or broken drive chain or worn sprockets, bad drive belt.

Good call! If the pins were broken then the ribbons would rotate without any load (as when he clamped the handle and walked up front and looked) but as soon as you hit snow they would stop. A quick test is to run the blower into some snow or a snowbank with the ribbons engaged and then back out of it and look. Smooth concave surface=ribbons spinning and if there's lines from the ribbons then they weren't spinning in the snow.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I recently acquired a simplicity snowbuster 828. I put new belts on it and adjusted the skid shoes. We got 3-5” of a lighter snow. The auger didn’t want to pull the snow into the hood. The blower fan blew what little snow it managed to grab with out plugging, but it seamed like the auger wasn’t moving fast enough? Never seen this before.
You may have had a clog in the long passageway going from the augers to the fan.
That model was a ridiculous design from the beginning, it was not designed to work at all from the start.
It was designed by a very highly College educated person with absolutely no common sense at all, like almost every College Educated Person today.
Those people have to go to College because they still haven't learned anything at all while growing up and going to regular school, and they still need to be taught everything. They still cannot tie their own shoes unless they look at their computer cellphones to watch the video on how to tie them. They are SLOW LEARNERS, that is why they have to go to College, because the regular schools gave up on them and they still need to be taught things, but they should be taught the basic things in life instead of coloring their rainbow flags and liberal ideas. Colleges don't teach anything worthwhile these days except how to be a good Con-artist/B.S.'er. More like a salesman or a politician.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’m college educated. Are you calling me a slow learner? I’m just here asking if my problem is similar to other users on a snow blower.

This forum is worse then I thought. From the first guy telling me my ribbons aren’t twirling the correct direction, to being called a slow learner. It’s a effin snowblower, not a flux capacitor. I’ll go back to a shovel. Hopefully I can figure that out with out a YouTube video.

Good buy.

·
Registered
853 Posts
We are just trying to help you out, and we also have a sense of humor.
Nobody knew you were a college educated person.
I have met with some of the engineers and designers at Simplicity and looked at all of their College Degrees hanging on their walls, and these highly educated people were not the "brightest bulbs" in the bunch, they were actually somewhat clueless on a lot of simple things in life, not the smartest bunch of people with not much common sense at all.
If you got a "Good BUY" you got a great price on your snowblower.
"Good Bye" usually refers to the opposite of "Hello", and I don't have a spell checker or a College education.
Sorry if we offended you.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I’m college educated. Are you calling me a slow learner? I’m just here asking if my problem is similar to other users on a snow blower.

This forum is worse then I thought. From the first guy telling me my ribbons aren’t twirling the correct direction, to being called a slow learner. It’s a effin snowblower, not a flux capacitor. I’ll go back to a shovel. Hopefully I can figure that out with out a YouTube video.

Good buy.

Okay... the ribbons not turning the right direction is correct and not someone screwing with you.. Both ribbons rotate on one shaft, if the ribbons are swapped from the left side to the right side when someone was servicing the machine then instead of each ribbon pulling the snow from the outer edge to the middle, they will now push the snow from the inner to the outer edge and away from the impeller.

So because one ribbon half has to move snow from the left to the right and the other half has to move snow from the right to the left, if they swapped sided they would now not work.

Another way to look at is like a big V plow for a truck. Have it with the point pointing forwards and the snow gets cast to each side and if the open end of the V is forward then you are catching the snow (what you want for a snowblower).

Those are just a few ways to try and visualize what might be going on, peoples brains work differently and some ways of thinking are hard to wrap around.

Buy for now.

·
Registered
853 Posts
The ribbons or auger tines will work either way, if you put them on the wrong side they will still pull it in towards the paddle in the center, you have to picture it in your mind, its kind of confusing.
If the little gear box that drives the auger shaft was installed upside down, that will cause the augers to rotate backwards and that will push the snow towards the outside of the auger housing away from the paddle in the center.
He has a very odd strange designed snowblower from simplicity.
Simple city realized the mistake after they designed and built them and had them out in the market for a while and had a lot of complaints as to the poor performance of them.
A normal snowblower takes the snow and screws it into the center and shoves it right into the impeller, in the one he has, it has to shove it way down a passageway before it gets to the impeller, and thats where they used to clog or not get enough snow in it to push the snow load all the way back to the impeller.
Most people that had that machine didn't keep them for long when they realized the poor performance of them and got rid of them as quick as they could, and many returned them to the dealerships and got their money back or traded them in for an upgraded model that had the newer normal design that we are used to.
If you put the augers on the "wrong side" they would have to be spun around because of the mounting flange where the mount/shear/drive bolt flange is located so they will still screw the snow inwards towards the impeller.
But on the machine he has, it doesn't use the little gearbox, they used a belt and chain set-up. Someone would have had to put a longer belt from the engine down to the sprocket pulley, and twisted the belt around like a figure "8" to cause it to spin backwards. They would have done that on purpose to really screw somebody over with it to intentionally make it run backwards, and it has been done as a prank to people, but it destroyed everything on the machine.
I have seen more than a couple of those machines thrown off of bridges or parked on railroad tracks waiting for the unsuspecting locomotive to take its frustrations out on them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts