Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A member ( Fronos4) asked me to provide more info on my snow cab. At this point I haven't used it yet so it has not been battle tested.

My situation may be different than many. My double garage is a car and a half deep, (30') and since I only have one vehicle I have storage and work space to spare.

In past years I might finish clearing the driveway wearing a inch of fresh snow on me. So I think I'll enjoy using the snow blower cab. But my first concern might be for those with limited storage space because the amount of storage required doubles with a snow cab.

In theory the snow cab is easy on and easy off. However even when off it must be stored somewhere. I guess the other down sides might be cost and neighbor envy. (smile) Here I am shoveling like a coolie and there he is walking around in his protected bubble hunting snow flakes with his new 16 HP orange snow blower.

Those owners with snow cabs as I read tend to like them. I am told that a snow cab can go a long way in taking the cold bite out of winter. Visibility and use of controls remains unchanged. As does headlight use. In that way the product is well thought out.

On odd thing to consider on is your snow blower width. The snow cab does not change with but snow blowers could be between 20" to 36" wide? On a narrow machine the mounting horns stick out side ways like ears. On wide machines the mounting horns must be turned dead ahead to be close enough to each other for the top section to properly sit in to the horns.

That may seem obvious in hindsight. But for someone trying to put it all together so it looks like the drawings in the directions; well, the directions could be written a bit better.

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
I see that you really went for a major upgrade in snow blower size Buford compared to that little Toro snow shovel on the shelve in your garage :D:D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The little Toro is an unused gift, I had a old 24" MTD that gave up the ghost and I chose not to rebuild it. That I used often. I also have broad selection of snow shovels the way a mechanic has dozens of wrenches.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I know that you had an older MTD Buford.......I am just having a little fun with you buddy........Hahaha :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Buford, I grew up just north of the 'burgh, went to NA High and to edinboro (big time lake effect snow). Now live in NH where 12 inch snowfalls happen regularly. Nice driveway by the way. Heres hoping the steelers kill it today!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am told the total cost of ownership for driveways is the inverse of initial cost, being poor I went with the pavers which should out live asphalt or concrete and require less upkeep. And the cost of both asphalt and concrete recently has risen out of sight, making pavers all the more attractive as an alternative.

I had to leave Pittsburgh to make a living, almost everyone does. The reason why the Steelers have devoted fans all over the world.

As of 2nd qtr Steelers are 21-0 with Cinc in the red zone,

Schlitz, make that 21-7

·
Registered
82 Posts
Buford, thanks for the info. You hit all the points that I was curious about after reading some reviews on the "universal cabs" I figured it would require some extra space in the garage plus I don't have the headroom with the kids bikes overhead to accomodate the height of the cab. Looks great! Now I can visualize what my Platinum 30 will look like with a cab if I go with one down the road.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The pay off should be in the using not the looking. Today I rearranged some of the junk in my garage to clear the way to access the controls for the snow blower. For many folks with out walls on the side on the driveway who cares about the turn about room?

I am hoping it is all worthwhile and workable, I am hoping it makes snow blowing all the more comfortable and enjoyable.

And that I don't know all that from my own experience yet, I'll update as the adventure continues.

Hey, the Steelers won big time!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a height thought, I'm 6'1" so I have the top of the snow cab set up at about 6'4" (allow for winter boots and winter hat and hoodie, but that is all very adjustable. If you can walk about in your garage now you can set the height to what ever you need.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Just a height thought, I'm 6'1" so I have the top of the snow cab set up at about 6'4" (allow for winter boots and winter hat and hoodie, but that is all very adjustable. If you can walk about in your garage now you can set the height to what ever you need.

Buford........You are fantasizing about your 1st major snowstorm so you can try out your new toys.......:D:D I know how it is buddy.......... Patience is the key here.........Da snows will come in time........Hahahaha :D:D:D:D

·
Registered
203 Posts
Who is the Patron Saint of monster snow storms?

I gotsta know?

maybe 35" would be sweet!
I just saw on the Weather Channel that your area is gonna be hit with 3-4 feet of snow next weekend :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Please don't get a hard on just yet...... now.........Hahahaha........I am just kidding you buddy :D:D I am waiting for my first major snow storm buddy here in Michigan.......Hope that you have a great night buddy :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts