Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought 2 link spacing snow chains for 23x10.50x12 wheel for my GT3000 sears. Put on as is and too loose. Called Stens my supplier. They said the company that they get from said to take link out on all the cross links since I was using wheel weights. After taking a link out on all the cross links the left side tightened up but not right side after putting the chains back on. I dont enough room to take 2nd link out on the cross links without the chain coming off. Stens they dont make tire chain for 23x10.50x12 wheel and it really fits a 24x12x12 wheel. Any ideas?

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
I have never had to put chains on anything, but I have read it is best to let the air out, put the chains on and then fill the tires back up.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem is getting them to tighten up when using wheel weights. Had problems with the left after taking a link out on the cross links. Didnt have to let the air out either.

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
I dunno Dave. I've used chains with and without weights and have never had any problems. I've had a variety of tractors, J. D. 332, Sears tractors, Wheel Horse tractors. All have been outfitted with chains at some point and had weights as well. The weights never interfered with the chain installation. I probably had the same set of chains on at least 2 different tractors with different width tires. :confused:

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
Im gonna play with it some more and maybe I just dont have them in right spot to tighten up yet.
As SHRYP suggested, let the air out of the tires. Let it all out. It's a lot easier to install the chains. I still am not quite sure why there's any problem. If they're too loose just tighten them up to the next link..
What wheel weights did you finally buy? I sold that solid steel set that I had. Sold a set of chains I had too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts