Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
happen to have a snowblower for sale and it's dumping.

I am not exaggerating here ...... here are some of the offers. ( I wrote CASH only in ad ) glad I did not post phone number.

Bitcoin

Subaru

Antiques

Jewelry

Paypal with an extra $150 to hold until Sunday

Vemo ( ?) with an extra $50 to hold until Saturday

A Painter offered 2 of his paintings ( of my choosing ) plus some cash.

A Toyota truck ( a think it was a 80's years model )

One guy offered to stain my house next summer ( very tempting offer ) but he wanted to take blower now.

One guy offered me half down with the balance paid tomorrow . ( but he wanted to use blower tonight )

One lady came about 50 miles and thought I was giving it away. She did not see the price. she got very upset when i told her it was not free. psycho

Was offered company checks . why? banks are still open.

Had a guy who said he would drive down from Montana and would paypal the money into my account.

also received the lowball offers guarantee they would buy if I held it for them ( the roads are bad )

I like to joke here occasionally but I swear to God this is all true ! and the day AIN'T over yet.

·
Super Moderator
2,677 Posts
That shows the downfall of the current education system: people just can't read. Next time, maybe capitalize "CASH ONLY" and I don't know if there's a way to color it, maybe make it in red also if it can be done.

Good luck, hold your ground.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Orangputeh,

The next time I hear someone asking for a clear definition and example of the term "seller's market"
I'm going to direct them to your post..........:devil:

Good luck with your transaction, old sport! :wink2:

Reactions: orangputeh

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
I agree that it would be nice if people followed the ad. But if you didn't have the cash, I guess you could argue what's the harm in asking? At worst, the seller says no. You weren't going to be able to buy it normally anyhow, so you're no worse off.

Using it as an example, the house-staining offer was actually a bit interesting. If that was something you'd really needed, and were willing to do, the guy gets what he needs, you're happy, and there was no cash required.

Some of the folks at work use Venmo, though I have not tried it. I believe it's supposed to make it easy to pay your friends. One example would be a bunch of people going to dinner. You don't have to request separate checks, you just Venmo what you owe to the person who paid.

·
Premium Member
4,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a guy coming from about 75 miles away and he has emailed me 7 times with updates on his ETA.

chain control over Donner Summit

ya , seller's market but that is the exception , not the rule. Have sat on stuff for months before.

·
Super Moderator
2,677 Posts
You know, this could be a fun one to add your sale experiences.
Best one I can think of right now was 4 rims and winter tires, 2 being snow tires maybe 2 years old. Cash only, $50, firm price all stated in the ad. Guy calls, wants to confirm I still have them, which I did. Confirmed the details including the price. Guy comes over, pulls out $15. Asked him what part of $50 didn't he understand, guy said he was sending them to Mexico and planned on using the rest to send them. Told him to take a hike. Second guy comes along, overjoyed with the rims and tires and happily paid the $50.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yeah, Venmo is an easy way to send/receive money, but it is not to be used for selling goods. If they audit you and determine you violated the terms, they will reverse the transaction and now you're out the money and the goods.

I'm set up with a PayPal account that is designed for selling goods, and or transfer money to/from friends. If the transaction involved selling a good, then you indicate that (like a check box) and you'll be charged a small fee.

Good luck with your sale!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I was at Home Depot yesterday - - they have a LOT of machines for sale. Quite unusual to see at this time of the year.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Watch out on PayPal. It can be exploited. There's guys that will "pay with paypal" then they come over for the goods. You inform him it didn't go through. Buyer apologizes and uses "his friend's " account. After he's gone you discover about an hour later the funds were retracted and the target account is closed.

I listed a gorgeous well maintained 04 Caddy CTS I for $1800 on CraigsList. (I got the wife a new SUV and the dealer offered $700 so I decided to sell it privately. )

I got the paypal people, the"pay weekly" people, .. but the funniest of all, "what's your lowest price? "
Pure comedy, since Kelly Blue Book had mileage and condition at $5800. And 3 other Caddys on CL were in worse shape were going for twice as much. as I was asking. I'm sure my eventual buyer "flipped" it. I just wanted fast cash.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I have a guy coming from about 75 miles away and he has emailed me 7 times with updates on his ETA.

chain control over Donner Summit

ya , seller's market but that is the exception , not the rule. Have sat on stuff for months before.

we haven't had crap here for snow. its been a slow year i sold all my blowers in late fall early winter. haven't stocked back up i only have 1 for sale a beautiful ariens ST824 i haven't got one message in 2 weeks on it.

i am going to wait until early spring and pick up my 8-10 blowers on the cheap and store them until next fall early winter and sell them.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Watch out on PayPal. It can be exploited. There's guys that will "pay with paypal" then they come over for the goods. You inform him it didn't go through. Buyer apologizes and uses "his friend's " account. After he's gone you discover about an hour later the funds were retracted and the target account is closed.

I listed a gorgeous well maintained 04 Caddy CTS I for $1800 on CraigsList. (I got the wife a new SUV and the dealer offered $700 so I decided to sell it privately. )

I got the paypal people, the"pay weekly" people, .. but the funniest of all, "what's your lowest price? "
Pure comedy, since Kelly Blue Book had mileage and condition at $5800. And 3 other Caddys on CL were in worse shape were going for twice as much. as I was asking. I'm sure my eventual buyer "flipped" it. I just wanted fast cash.
Good to know, thanks! Maybe adding a caveat in the advertisement would help, like take possession of goods only after transaction clears?

·
Premium Member
4,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We got 7 feet last week and expecting 5 feet this holiday weekend.......check out west coast news. people are freaking out.

guy showed up last night. took 3 hours to go 75 miles. handed me my asking price and was gone in 5 minutes.

·
Registered
834 Posts
so how many machines do you think you will sell over the next few days?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Good to know, thanks! Maybe adding a caveat in the advertisement would help, like take possession of goods only after transaction clears?

Well, that's what happens. It clears, ... for a little while...
It's a snowblower. Personally, I'd just insist on "cash and carry.".

·
Registered
169 Posts
We got 7 feet last week and expecting 5 feet this holiday weekend.......check out west coast news. people are freaking out.

guy showed up last night. took 3 hours to go 75 miles. handed me my asking price and was gone in 5 minutes.

Please post some more pics after the next 5 feet.

Thank you!

red

·
Registered
99 Posts
Well, that's what happens. It clears, ... for a little while...
It's a snowblower. Personally, I'd just insist on "cash and carry.".
Ah, I see says the blind man. Yep, cash is best. Armed with this knowledge, I'm changing my CL listing.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts