Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4 year old Snow Joe 2 stage that has been running well. Last storm there was a loud clunk and the augers stopped. Nothing was stuck in the machine. After taking it in a hum and odor was coming from the unit. It appears to be that the electric auger motor has burned out. The company says they do not have a replacement part for this......
Any help would be appreciated as to where to source the motor. Thanks in advance
The motor had the following stamped on it: 8401-661801 20160712V

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
There used to be local shops that would rebuild electric motors, but they are few around anymore, and probably not repairable in this day and age anyways, more like throw away .....

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
buy new one and take the old one back in the new ones box lol. definitely seems like a real crappy situation especially for what those things cost you should get more than 4 years out it. i could maybe understand if the batteries went bad from being stored improperly but the motor failing and no parts available just doesn't seem right.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
buy new one and take the old one back in the new ones box lol. definitely seems like a real crappy situation especially for what those things cost you should get more than 4 years out it. i could maybe understand if the batteries went bad from being stored improperly but the motor failing and no parts available just doesn't seem right.
It's a lousy was to do business. Its a 10 minute repair if I could get the motor.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
If that motor has brushes, it's likely that they failed. Snow Joe does not stock them. I was fortunate that mine failed within 4 years and was replaced by Snow Joe under Maine's Implied Warranty Law. I sold the replacement NIB and upgraded to a Greenworks brushless 80V unit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 4 year old Snow Joe 2 stage that has been running well. Last storm there was a loud clunk and the augers stopped. Nothing was stuck in the machine. After taking it in a hum and odor was coming from the unit. It appears to be that the electric auger motor has burned out. The company says they do not have a replacement part for this......
Any help would be appreciated as to where to source the motor. Thanks in advance
The motor had the following stamped on it: 8401-661801 20160712V
I have these motors that came in a new but physically damaged snow blower.
I have both of brushless motors and the controller for them.

·
Registered
195 Posts
If you live near a larger city, there are electric motor repair shops. Without a good yellow pages, and only the usual ding dong search engines, finding them is a bit difficult. As said, it might not be worth repairing (or possible), but it would be worth a try.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts