Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the site here...love thumbing through the forum. I just recently put the HF predator 212 on my 89' MTD. Everything went really smooth. Does anyone have pics or a template to make s snow shield for the linkage that everyone talks about. Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
yep, just sheet metal painted black, made a template out of a cereal box. its mounted to the top removable section of the airbox, i used nuts and bolts with loc tite on the nuts , a better way would be rivets. the shield does go in under the lip of the fuel tank so any water dripping off the tank run off the shield.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very nice, i like the idea of mounting to the air box, but my air box is a little different but I will def use yours for inspiration. Haha

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Very nice, i like the idea of mounting to the air box, but my air box is a little different but I will def use yours for inspiration. Haha
do post some pics of what you do so other members can work with your idea !!

·
Registered
407 Posts
I'm going to have to make the same shield,Gustoguy,for my Harbor Freight Greyhound engine on my Toro 521.

I didn't have any problems with snow locking up the governor on this engine for the first 3 years or so,then it became an ever increasing PITA,to the point I just stopped using the blower.

Last week,I finally got my fingers out and fabricated the shield over the linkage like others have done.I hate doing that kind of work-I'm terrible at making patterns,but it came out pretty well.The Greyhound engines are a little more difficult because they have a square notch in the top of the gas tank that the air filter housing extends into.

I was happy to be able to use a small,light blower again for a change.I tried it the next storm and it lasted about half an hour before the governor locked up.The snow must be getting in under the gas tank and I'm going to have to make that shield,too.

Do you see any problems with making the shield extend up to the seem in the tank and follow it around?As I said,I suck at metal work and it would take me forever to make a pattern that follows the tank bottom contours like that.What is holding the shield on to the tank?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I'm going to have to make the same shield,Gustoguy,for my Harbor Freight Greyhound engine on my Toro 521.

I didn't have any problems with snow locking up the governor on this engine for the first 3 years or so,then it became an ever increasing PITA,to the point I just stopped using the blower.

Last week,I finally got my fingers out and fabricated the shield over the linkage like others have done.I hate doing that kind of work-I'm terrible at making patterns,but it came out pretty well.The Greyhound engines are a little more difficult because they have a square notch in the top of the gas tank that the air filter housing extends into.

I was happy to be able to use a small,light blower again for a change.I tried it the next storm and it lasted about half an hour before the governor locked up.The snow must be getting in under the gas tank and I'm going to have to make that shield,too.

Do you see any problems with making the shield extend up to the seem in the tank and follow it around?As I said,I suck at metal work and it would take me forever to make a pattern that follows the tank bottom contours like that.What is holding the shield on to the tank?

On the PTO side of the engine there is a bolt that is holding the shield on also just above the shut off swith there is a sheetmetal screw holding it to the bracket which the gas tank is attached to. I never had an Ice up and I have been using this blower for nearly 5 years with the Predator 212cc on it.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I posted these a few years ago but here they are again. Made from galvanized sheet steel.

Attaches with only 3 screws and seals against 1/2 th weatherstripping on the gas tank to prevent water from dripping into the linkage area. I attached a small length of angle iron to the muffler shield and tapped two holes to fix the shield on top. I also made a sheet metal extension underneath the carb so the cover can be screwed down in a 3rd location on the side.
So far it has held up well. I can remove it pretty quickly with a Philips should I need to get in there for any maintenance. The back side remains open. I did cover the governor side and front with a piece of flat steel bent in an L shape. It is mounted to the M6 tapped holes on the engine. I hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I posted these a few years ago but here they are again. Made from galvanized sheet steel.

Attaches with only 3 screws and seals against 1/2 th weatherstripping on the gas tank to prevent water from dripping into the linkage area. I attached a small length of angle iron to the muffler shield and tapped two holes to fix the shield on top. I also made a sheet metal extension underneath the carb so the cover can be screwed down in a 3rd location on the side.
So far it has held up well. I can remove it pretty quickly with a Philips should I need to get in there for any maintenance. The back side remains open. I did cover the governor side and front with a piece of flat steel bent in an L shape. It is mounted to the M6 tapped holes on the engine. I hope this helps.
I was blowing out my son's property after I cleaned up my driveway where the snow blower was working perfectly and I noticed after a while that the engine did not throttle up when hitting the deep snow like it normally did. I then let off the auger paddle and I noticed a little bit of an over reving. I let the engine run for about 5 minutes with out blowing snow and the problem cleared up so despite my fairly elaborate snow shield I had a little bit of icing for the first time in 5 years. We got dumped on about 7 inches today and 5 inches on Monday into Tuesday earlier this week for just over a foot of snow in the last week. I took my Polaris snowmobiles out today and went for a spin in town. I have my blower in my heated garage and I will let all the linkages thaw out. Overall it still worked just that the govenor stopped kicking in when hitting the deep snow since it froze up a bit. I will spray a bit of WD40 on the linkages as well once it melts off. I think I will do some more snow sheilding like you did to help prevent this from occuring again.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Gusto: Since this is a prototype I did leave the back open so I can monitor what is happening under the cover. So far I have found the heat build up has been good enough to prevent any icing for the few times water or snow found its way in. I left some opening in the front to allow some air flow. Not knowing how much heat would build up I could cut some away or add more later. I did measure the top shield temperature near the muffler with my IR thermometer and it does get well over 300 degrees F.

I was going to improve on it but time gets hard to find for improving something that is working good enough. It does not rattle or vibrate and the galvanized steel stays rust free with out having to paint. It was worth the few extra bucks.

I would say do your best to keep gas from contacting the weather stripping (if you use it) as it will attack the adhesive. I am very careful when adding gas.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts