1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
I'm about as ready as I can get.
  • Path Pro for the light snow falls on the driveway - check
  • 30" 2 stage for the big snow falls on the driveway - check
  • 1800 power curve for the deck - check
  • Toro Power Shovel for the deck steps - check (not sure how it will work, but gotta try something, shoveling deck steps blows)
I will have my driveway, the elderly neighbor lady's drive, and added to the list for this season, I think, will be the foreclosed drive across the street from me, as I have been mowing the lawn since mid June.

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
I have to mow my lawn on Monday...:) . Haven't even looked at my snowblowers that I actually use; my Toro 521 and Toro Power Clear.
Has anybody else noticed that it seems like about 99% of the members of this forum are from Canada or the northeastern U.S.? Anybody here from western snow country? Yes, some also from Mich, Wisc, and Minn but that's about it

·
Registered
190 Posts
Staten Island,NY here. Just finished a Predator repower on my 2008 TB Storm 2410 - Primary Machine. Picking up a 1987 Toro 521 on Monday to be my backup machine and the unit I use for cleaning houses away from home base. $75 for the Toro. Needs carb work but that seems to be about it. Thinking of doing a repower on it

·
Banned
1,585 Posts
Joe, it kinda hurts, when you throw MI, WI, and MN in as "that's about it.":D
I gotta mow hopefully 2 more times this year also. We've had good frost and slowed the growth, but it keeps coming back. We put the boat up and one car. Looking forward to snow;)

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
Where do you live, J.T.? Frost already? Scot is seeing flurries. I'm still riding my motorcycle. Usually quit in mid Nov. Getting too old and achey to ride year round.

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
Staten Island,NY here. Just finished a Predator repower on my 2008 TB Storm 2410 - Primary Machine. Picking up a 1987 Toro 521 on Monday to be my backup machine and the unit I use for cleaning houses away from home base. $75 for the Toro. Needs carb work but that seems to be about it. Thinking of doing a repower on it
Mail the oldTecumseh from the 521 to me.;)

·
Registered
581 Posts
Still have mowing and leaves to do on Long Island. Hoping to enjoy my old snapper walk behinds a few more times before they get fogged and put away for the winter.
Have some new decals coming for my old '62 and have to make the rounds to my Dads and Bro in laws to get the MTD and Toro prepped.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Last snowblowers I had that had Tecumseh engines on them both engines suffered catastrophic failures. First one was a 2 cycle engine that started racing and wouldn't shut down. That one seized solid. My second Tecumseh blew a rod. Was running it cleaning some snow when I heard a loud ringing sound. Took off the piston cover and was able to push the piston cap down. So no more tecumseh engines for me

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Licence plates say greatest snow on earth, but today was in the mid 70's and I mowed the lawn. Doubt it was the last time.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
We had snow on Halloween a couple years ago. Did a ton of damage to the trees. We're still dealing with grass cutting and leaf clean up. Will be for four more weeks, I'd guess.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Northern suburb of Minneapolis.

We have had a couple rounds of frost this Fall, but also had some wonderful 70 degree days. I got 2 of the 3 motorcycles put away for the year. Will do a ride this afternoon as it will be 65 here.

I have at least two more rounds with the Deere for leaf pick up, about half the trees have dropped. Once I'm done with the Deere, then I can put that into winter mode, and clear the deck furniture.

Someone mentioned Halloween snow. In 1991 we got 28" of snow on Halloween. Screwed up allot of children night of fun. Pretty much shut down the twin city's that Friday and first half of Saturday. If I recall, the following weekend we got another 3-4" of snow.

·
Super Moderator
6,673 Posts
I'm still cutting grass and blowing leaves here. the lawn mower will get a workout a couple more times this year, the yard vac will be in use until the snow falls

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I hate raking leaves! :eek:
As I hate shoveling snow and cutting grass! :p

I just mulch the leaves with the lawn mower, good food for the grass. Just take a ride around on my snapper.;)

I moved my blower from the shed to the garage. It seems like only last week I put it in the shed.:eek:
Put the lawn items in the shed.

A lot of leaves are still green on my trees, so my mowers will still see some use cutting up the leaves. I have a electric leave blower with a vacuum attachment that sucks up the leaves and mulches them. I mulch them up and throw them around my bushes and some plants.

Temperatures dropping this weekend calling for a frost possible tonight!:eek:
Old Man winter, along with Jack Frost is a coming. :D

Salt prices are up and they say there is a shortage, I really don't use it anyway. Bought a bag last year and it is still almost full.:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Haven't even turned my furnace on yet, most of the leaves are still in the trees. Mowers are put away, any growth now will be taken care of by my alpacas.
Freeze warning for tonight, might turn on the furnace. Need to get house plants back in the house.
All my snow moving gear is ready and waiting.
I'm in R.I.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Put the Toro Z-Turn away, pressure washed, oiled deck underside and removed battery and on battery tender. It may look overkill but it is very handy for cleaning decks and blade sharpening. Lifting is with a small Warn winch which I connect to the mower battery. I just make sure when I do a lift is with the carb and heads pointing upwards so the oil stays on the crank. This is what happens when a guy with M.S. has too much time on his hands. Snow Blower and sulky ready for action.

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
Put the Toro Z-Turn away, pressure washed, oiled deck underside and removed battery and on battery tender. It may look overkill but it is very handy for cleaning decks and blade sharpening. Lifting is with a small Warn winch which I connect to the mower battery. I just make sure when I do a lift is with the carb and heads pointing upwards so the oil stays on the crank. This is what happens when a guy with M.S. has too much time on his hands. Snow Blower and sulky ready for action.
I need one...and you darn well know what I'm talking about! SWEET!

Anyone do one of these for a late model toro 1028/1128???? It's a must have :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Its all clear here in the north burbs of mpls mn:) Got the convertible out for run, maybe the last one who knows. Spent some time playing with tractor and leaves today as well, I would guess by next weekend most of them will be down.

So what is everybody snow projection (guess) for the year? According to NOAA we are on track for a what looks to me as an average winter in MN, I'm guessing we will have 2-3 bigger storms to push us to around 50" or so. They are also claiming less clipper snows, I hope that's the case, I hate those little 1-3" snows.

They are claiming above average on the temps as well, I hope they are right, last winter was PIA cold.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts