Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used your snowblower as a pressure washer in the summer? If you have used your snowblower as a pressure washer, did you bolt the pump directly into the engine block, or did you use a belt to drive it? The crankshafts on snowblowers seem to be very long, so it maybe a problem.

I'm just curious. I have a crappy built MTD snowblower, I'm looking for a way to re-use it, once it is broken. Some people mentioned that they use their snowblowers as pressure washers in the summer.

·
Registered
460 Posts
It depends what shaft you have? Don't some MTD use a funky 7/8" sizing? If you have 3/4" shaft it's pretty straight forward...I have a GP 3 gallon per minute pump that bolts right on If I remove the drive sheave. Works great , but you have to keep that sheave from gathering rust so it's easy to install and remove. If the pump gets left on there and seizes to the PTO shaft you're toast. If you store the pump section in an unheated garage you're toast. 3GPM is about the limit for 3/4 shaft. I suppose If you are good at fabrication you could remove the bucket and fab a plate, jack shaft, and pulley and make it belt drive, but you'd have to match the speed to the RPM the pump is designed for.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It depends what shaft you have? Don't some MTD use a funky 7/8" sizing? If you have 3/4" shaft it's pretty straight forward...I have a GP 3 gallon per minute pump that bolts right on If I remove the drive sheave. Works great , but you have to keep that sheave from gathering rust so it's easy to install and remove. If the pump gets left on there and seizes to the PTO shaft you're toast. If you store the pump section in an unheated garage you're toast. 3GPM is about the limit for 3/4 shaft. I suppose If you are good at fabrication you could remove the bucket and fab a plate, jack shaft, and pulley and make it belt drive, but you'd have to match the speed to the RPM the pump is designed for.
I afraid the belt might slip. It is harder on the bearing as well. They all bolted directly to the engine block. I will look more into it and write notes about it. I will keep that in mind about the RPM, GPM, and seized shaft. Just gathering ideas here. Thank you.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I afraid the belt might slip. It is harder on the bearing as well. They all bolted directly to the engine block. I will look more into it and write notes about it. I will keep that in mind about the RPM, GPM, and seized shaft. Just gathering ideas here. Thank you.
There is one other important issue with direct drive/or Gear-drive pumps. Due to their direct mounting to the engine's PTO( straight key crankshaft), they are susceptible to key displacement. This usually only happens on older or higher HP pumps, but when an operator triggers the pump on and off frequently, there is a chance the key can distort in the pump hollow shaft. This makes removal very difficult or sometimes impossible. So ALWAYS use a new key eveytime you install, and check the condition of both keyways.
'

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
i feel like it would likely be more work than it is worth. even just to use a winter engine in the summer you would need to ad a air filter which is not possible on some winter engines and then you may even need a different main jet. if you were to do it i would likely go for belt drive setup of some sort and have it mount off to the side on like a trailer hitch mount of something along those lines so it is easily installed or removed. i used my snowblower to test a compressor pump. i have even considerd getting a small car alternator to mount on the side of a snowblower just so i could run 12v stuff during a power outage or boost car batteries but never did get around to it.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I moved the Honda GX240 from my defunct HS80 snowblower to a Garden Way (pre-Troy-Bilt) chipper/shredder. I summerized the air intake shell to accommodate an air cleaner element and transplanted the control panel. Otherwise, it bolted right up in short order and works great! Have about 6 hours on it since the transplant.

·
Registered
460 Posts
i feel like it would likely be more work than it is worth. even just to use a winter engine in the summer you would need to ad a air filter which is not possible on some winter engines and then you may even need a different main jet. if you were to do it i would likely go for belt drive setup of some sort and have it mount off to the side on like a trailer hitch mount of something along those lines so it is easily installed or removed. i used my snowblower to test a compressor pump. i have even considerd getting a small car alternator to mount on the side of a snowblower just so i could run 12v stuff during a power outage or boost car batteries but never did get around to it.
It's actually a bing bang boom adaptation on a 910000 series Ariens if you have the right pump because they have only one small sheave and the belt cover that needs removal. You could probably even get away with just two mount bolts if you're only using the pump for an afternoon.

Of course it's probably just as easy to go buy a $99 predator as long as you have a piece of lumber to bolt it to. Then you'd never have to remove pumps or sheaves, and you never need to have worries about disabling a piece of winter equipment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts