Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are very few posts regarding use of chains on the snowblower machines. There have been a few posts regarding Snowhog or Carlisle Xtrac snow tires & no posts regarding chains with either tire. Winter of 2020 dropped heavy wet snow in Sierras of No Calif and my brand new Carlisle tires did a lot of spinning on slush and hard pack snow/ice on my concrete driveway with little to no headway (at slow speed and approx 7% slope). Has anyone had a positive result with chains on the Xtrac tire? Any suggestions? The machine is a brand new Cub Cadet 2x28" with 16" tires..

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I have used the SnowHogs, still have some on a few, but now most of my machines have the XTrac.

I am in CT, and we get various types of snow. I have never had a slipping problem with either.

Years ago, I had some lawn tires that I put chains on … took them right off, as they bounced and shook the machine just about to pieces.

That's my 2 cents …..

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Hello Mikeb,

About your tires,

1.you should consider removing them and having the tires filled with windshield washer fluid for extra ballast weight.

2. you should invest in some fluid film spray to coat everything that contacts snow several times letting it dry between coats to aid in the snow being discharged with very little resistance.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had chains on my 5HP snowblower, and used it for 5+ years

For whatever reason (can't remember) i removed the chains, and used it for another 2 years,

i didn't notice any difference in grip/performance after i removed the chains,

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Mikeb,

About your tires,

1.you should consider removing them and having the tires filled with windshield washer fluid for extra ballast weight.

2. you should invest in some fluid film spray to coat everything that contacts snow several times letting it dry between coats to aid in the snow being discharged with very little resistance.
1. Regarding the tires: I've read some posts about adding external weights on the machine to help scoop snow to the auger. Also read about your suggestion to fill the tires with a liquid but that one throws me. How is that done???

2. Is this spray coating something done in the off season or just before each use?

Thanks for your reply,
Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had chains on my 5HP snowblower, and used it for 5+ years

For whatever reason (can't remember) i removed the chains, and used it for another 2 years,

i didn't notice any difference in grip/performance after i removed the chains,

just my 2 cents
Hi Jerry,
Just curious why you put the chains on in the beginning?
Thanks for your reply,
Mike

·
Registered
205 Posts
AT-205 would make the rubber stay flexible, so maybe spray that on the tires before the season.

You can also add more weight (use small sand bags). People don't like adding weight, but if you have no traction, then nothing work.

I never heard of adding windshield washer fluid into the tires for weights. It would rust the rims and deteriorate the rubber tires.

Chain is my last option. I heard chain works better on icy snow. If you use chain on x-trac, consider the diamond pattern, or cross pattern. The other pattern hides in the treads too much and kinda defeat the purpose.

Any idea, or whatever work, let us know.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I noticed a huge different in traction when parking my car outside in the winter and in a garage. The tires treads get hard when it is cold. So, store your snowblower in a garage. Rubber also get hard over time, so new x-trac is definitely better than old.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Ran chains for years on an Ariens 10K series blower from the mid 70's onward with the stock lawn tires. Neighbors driveway had enough slope that you just plain could not get up it without them.

With regard to vibration and all that jazz, I'm calling that a myth - never had a single issue in years of use (or any notable markings on pavement). But then again, we are in snow area deep enough that you don't see much pavement for most of the year . . .

In any case, with the X-Tracs on the current machine, I have not had any issues - the newer tires are def. better, but can't compare with or without chains since the newer ones are much bigger, and thus the chains won't fit to even try, and I have no desire to buy a set when no problem is presenting itself.

So, my thoughts in summary:

• Lawn tires on anything but pure flat - chains can be gold, zero reasons not to use.
  • More modern tires - yet to find a need for chains.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
1. Regarding the tires: I've read some posts about adding external weights on the machine to help scoop snow to the auger. Also read about your suggestion to fill the tires with a liquid but that one throws me. How is that done???

2. Is this spray coating something done in the off season or just before each use?

Thanks for your reply,
Mike

========================================================================================

Hello Mikebo,

You can coat the snow blower before the season starts or
just spray it on as you use it to prevent snow from sticking.

About the tires, you can do it or have a tire shop do it for you;
it requires the use of a tire filling valve, a length of garden hose
and a funnel stuffed into the garden hose.

Windshield washer fluid will not rust your rims.

·
Registered
338 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm in northeastern Mass. I've had chains on my Toro 521 occasionally. My driveway has a fair slope and the blower would have no traction going up the hill in some icy soft snows. I also have to wear good boots, and took to putting on ice cleats "StabiLicers" to be able push the unit up the hill (without falling down) in tougher conditions. I bought a second unit for parts, and can swap the tires as desired.

·
Registered
91 Posts
my 2 cents - I have one ariens w/chains & 2 without - the chains do seem to help that machine, of course, it has turf tires, not bar tread. also a MF 1650 with a 42 inch snowblower on the front, turf tires & chains,thing is unstoppable

I think if you have turf tread tires, get the chains - if you have bar tread tires, you're probably good with those
good luck

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I'm also in MA. I've had multiple machines with Snow Hog tires. No X-Tracs yet, but curious to try them.

I have used chains for about 15 years (my set is just about worn out). Our driveway gets up to around 8 degrees of slope, I think, from a quick check recently with my phone.

My current Ariens has a differential. I briefly tried it without chains, and quickly put them back on. Without them, I had trouble getting up the driveway. At times, I still have to disable the differential and lock the wheels together, even with the chains, but that's more for the dense stuff from the plows. I do have extra weight (~25 lbs) on the bucket, to help hold it down. Perhaps this makes things tougher for the tires.

If I changed to X-Tracs I might consider putting tubes in at the same time. At least I could easily try adding liquid for extra ballast, without messing with the rim.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I continue to thank the snowblower gods that I purchased an HS80 with tracks 33 years ago and replaced it with an HSS1332 with tracks 3 years ago. Have not had a snowthrower/blower with wheels since this one (built-in chains and no inflation worries):

·
Super Moderator
2,672 Posts
I use chains on 2 machines I have. I grew up on a farm and we had to chain up the tractor many times to move and I guess that just stuck with me. The chains I have I got on some machines I bought to rebuild. I did have to replace some sections that were damaged but it's easy to do. With chains, especially when there is an ice layer below the snow I'm able to go when otherwise I'd have to push the blower. They're especially useful as I have an incline to get from the house down to the street and chains make all the difference. A neighbor has a blower with traction tires on it and I can run rings around his rig as long as I have chains on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
An ice undercoat and slush on the incline/decline is exactly where my machine "slipped, slided away" during last spring wet snows in Central Sierras.. I previously mentioned that I have approx 7% slope concrete drive and and brand new Xtrac 16" tires with no chains. What size tires are you chaining up? Also are the tires beefy tread SnowHog or Xtrac? - those seem to be the tire of choice for operating without chains.
Thank you for the reply,
Mike

1 - 20 of 28 Posts