Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just about ready to "summerize" my snowblower because the snow has almost all gone and I'm not expecting any more, at least not enough to need blowing.

Anyway, I inherited a new (to me) machine this past year and every time I used it, I got confused which grip controlled the drive and the auger. It looks like my old one has the auger control on the right and the drive on the left and the new one is the opposite.

So my question is, is there a standard location for the controls, or does each manufacturer have their own idea?

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
My MTD had the auger/drive grips in one location. My 2 Ariens machines have been the opposite. Took me a bit of time to adjust.

And my newer Ariens has requires me to turn the chute crank in the opposite direction than I was used to on the old one. Another thing to get used to.

·
Registered
792 Posts
There is no set location. On older models, you engaged the augers and they ran until you disengaged them. No "dead man" at all. Today's are a lot safer, even if you do have to remember "auger" from "drive." MH

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First I thought a standard had been brought in that was different from my old snowblower; I believe old and new one were made at least 20 years apart. I remember when British, Italian and some Spanish motorcycles had the gearshift on the right when everybody else had it on the left. At some point that was standardized to gearshift on the left and rear brake on the right for everybody. I don't suppose the safety aspect is quite as big for snowblowers, but it's still significant. I'm really surprised the safety nannies and lawyers haven't got into this.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
I have the same problem depending on what I roll out of the barn. The big Craftsmans have a single lever engaging the auger any time the drive is engaged but can be disengaged and driven with the auger off. The others have separate auger and drive handles but they are not on the same side from manufacturer to manufacturer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts