Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of posts on the site of people asking about a particular machine they might purchase, or have recently purchased. Yes, you can search the boards and see if there was anything posted about that particular machine [there is a lot of technical info on the boards], or post the common blind "I'm looking at this blower Make/Model, whaddaya think?" but wouldn't it be nice to have a running thread about specific models and some basic information and general opinion from an owner of one? You would be able to use the search function on the board to find a specific model and the thread would pop up. It also gives members a chance to show off their machines and offer opinions [as an owner] of costs, pros, cons, etc. This thread would not be for overly technical information [type of oil used, adjusting the transmission, etc.] that's what the Mfg. boards are for, this would be just a basic rundown. If this is not the right location to post this or if there is no interest please [mods] feel free to delete this thread, or just abandon it. Maybe something like this already exists?
Anyway, I'll start.

1998 Noma 9/27

General: Two stage, wheel drive
PROS: Easy to repair, parts readily available, electric start [though I never use it]
CONS: Very heavy, somewhat loud, difficult to maneuver because of weight, not for tight or small areas.
Cost Range [my opinion]: $1 - $100 depending on condition and time of year.
Engine: Tecumseh Snow King 9 HP
Driveway/path type/location: I have a flat, straight 100' driveway in Connecticut, average light 1-4" snowfall and 2-4 large storms [5+ inches per year]
How long have you owned/used this blower?: 3 years.
Opinion: The machine is big and heavy but has all the control features I like. I find it easy to repair and maintain as parts are easy to come by and cheap to get. It has no issue tackling any piles at the end of the driveway left by the plow no matter the size or makeup, I put it in first and let is slowly grind away, hasn't bogged or broken yet. Had some issues with the drive system initially but it turned out the wrong chain was installed on the drive axle, replaced with proper chain and all good. Personally as far as used blowers go I would give it a 7 out of 10 stars, it doesn't have any fancy features [heated grips, etc], but it gets the job done, function over form, when i need it. Very reliable with proper maintenance. I like that it's metal everything, everywhere including the chute.
Would you recommend it to someone else?: Yes. Good, solid blower. Maintenance is key with this one [when is that not the case].

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
You have come to the right place, so no worries there. Buying a used snow blower is like buying a car only less expensive-except for the big walk behind track drive units they need on Hokkaido Island.
Fortunately the 2 stage snow blowers have fewer parts to break than a used car and many parts are generic and the belt driven little monsters have fewer parts to break or wear out.

So much comes down to how much it was used and the maintenance received. A tank full of gas left in a snow blower with the fuel valve open is just trouble with a capital T and it will cost money and time to repair it.
The other thing is a beat up well used 2 stage snow blower can still work well and need few if any parts.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I see a lot of posts on the site of people asking about a particular machine they might purchase, or have recently purchased. Yes, you can search the boards and see if there was anything posted about that particular machine [there is a lot of technical info on the boards], or post the common blind "I'm looking at this blower Make/Model, whaddaya think?" but wouldn't it be nice to have a running thread about specific models and some basic information and general opinion from an owner of one? You would be able to use the search function on the board to find a specific model and the thread would pop up. It also gives members a chance to show off their machines and offer opinions [as an owner] of costs, pros, cons, etc. This thread would not be for overly technical information [type of oil used, adjusting the transmission, etc.] that's what the Mfg. boards are for, this would be just a basic rundown. If this is not the right location to post this or if there is no interest please [mods] feel free to delete this thread, or just abandon it. Maybe something like this already exists?
Anyway, I'll start.

1998 Noma 9/27

View attachment 167936
PROS: Easy to repair, parts readily available, electric start [though I never use it]
CONS: Very heavy, somewhat loud, difficult to maneuver because of weight, not for tight or small areas.
Driveway/path type/location: I have a flat, straight 100' driveway in Connecticut, average light 1-4" snowfall and 2-4 large storms [5+ inches per year]
Opinion: The machine is big and heavy but has all the control features I like. I find it easy to repair and maintain as parts are easy to come by and cheap to get. It has no issue tackling any piles at the end of the driveway left by the plow no matter the size or makeup, I put it in first and let is slowly grind away, hasn't bogged or broken yet. Had some issues with the drive system initially but it turned out the wrong chain was installed on the drive axle, replaced with proper chain and all good. Personally as far as used blowers go I would give it a 7 out of 10 stars, it doesn't have any fancy features [heated grips, etc], but it gets the job done, function over form, when i need it. Very reliable with proper maintenance. I like that it's metal everything, everywhere including the chute.
Would you recommend it to someone else?: Yes. Good, solid blower. Maintenance is key with this one [when is that not the case].
I had a JD version(Frontier?) of one of these that was gifted to me, one of the features you neglected to mention is these have a higher handlebar height that may make it more comfortable for taller operators. Another handy feature is that the engine mounts are cut into the frame with adjustable slots, It makes engine swaps a snap. A predator 212 will bolt right up and have plenty of juice to power this. You may just need a $10 shaft shim if you have a 7/8 sheave.
Nice basic medium to heavy duty unit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Anyway, I'll start.

1998 Noma 9/27

View attachment 167936
I've had two just like that. One was stolen and I bought another just like it which I since sold. Just didn't need it anymore. I thought they were nice machines for the money. Easy to handle for a larger unit (imo). More than enough power..👍

1 - 5 of 5 Posts