Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I just joined the site I live in northern minnesota. You have a great fourm with lots of good info. I have a 69 simplicty snow away 5 hp 2 stage blower anyway i bought it 2 years ago for 25.00 and it was a good runner. Last year it started to knock and i shut it down immediately. I opened the side of the block and the the rod bolt retainer had broke .:( I cleaned up the crank bought a new rod. I was wondering can i just do a light hone to the cylinder to make new hatch marks and use new rings or should hone it to .010 and use a new piston?
Any help from you guys would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2,725 Posts
Engine repairs

I'd gauge the next step based on the condition of the piston, rings and cylinder. If the cylinder in particular is good: no tapering, no out of round and no wear ridges then I'd lean more towards cleanup and reassembly. If on the other hand the cylinder has issues then I'd look at boring/honing it first. Same thing if you had any marking/scoring of the cylinder from the broken rod, a broken ring or ring landing on the piston.

If things are in otherwise good shape, why introduce any additional variables to the mix than you have to?

My thoughts.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts