Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!
I have an older Craftsman 22in single stage snow thrower. Just had it tuned up and the carb repaired. It's ran great the past 3 times I've used it, but today I went through some deep snow and it backfired (pop with some black smoke out the exhaust) then died. I restarted it and it died almost immediately, and I cant get it to start again. Any advice to get it up and running? I did put some gas in it earlier today that's probably 6mo old, could that have played into it?

I don't know a lot about small engines but am pretty handy.
Thanks!
Thanks

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
Try fresh fuel. It would run for a bit on what is in the carb and lines before it got to what you put in, and the scenario fits . . .

Is this a 2 stroke or 4 stroke engine?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try fresh fuel. It would run for a bit on what is in the carb and lines before it got to what you put in, and the scenario fits . . .

Is this a 2 stroke or 4 stroke engine?
Thanks! I'll drain out the old gas and see if that helps.

It's a 4 stroke engine

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Welcome to SBF Jessica. I would also try a new spark plug after you drain and refill the gas tank. Does the starter rope feel the same when you pull it, or is it easier? Any unusual noises?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to SBF Jessica. I would also try a new spark plug after you drain and refill the gas tank. Does the starter rope feel the same when you pull it, or is it easier? Any unusual noises?
Thanks for the suggestion! Spark plug was on my list to check. When I was trying to start it after it stalled, it seemed like maybe the rope was pulling easier. No weird noises though.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Just to rule out a broken connecting rod, stick a soda straw or a pencil into the engine cylinder after you remove the spark plug and pull the starter rope slowly to see if the straw\pencil moves up and down. I hope it does.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to rule out a broken connecting rod, stick a soda straw or a pencil into the engine cylinder after you remove the spark plug and pull the starter rope slowly to see if the straw\pencil moves up and down. I hope it does.
I will definitely try that! Is the engine cylinder where the spark plug goes? Or am I looking for something else?

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
Yes, the cylinder is what the plug tip is inside of. Other than some older engines, the plug is typically right above the piston (which you will see if you look in the plug hole).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, the cylinder is what the plug tip is inside of. Other than some older engines, the plug is typically right above the piston (which you will see if you look in the plug hole).
So I just checked it over. The connecting rod was good. Spark plug was good. Emptied out the gas tank and put some new gas in and it started right up! So old fuel was my problem. Thanks so much for all the help!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Sounds like there’s a possibility of a sheared key in the keyway in the flywheel. This would through off your spark preventing a start. You’ll have spark at the plug but timing will be off.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
@Jessica,

When I go and get gas (reg. gas) in my 5 gal. cans, as soon as I get home, I add Stabil and half the recommended rate of SeaFoam (as I already have Stabil in it) in all my cans, and I have never had a gas issue in all my years, and I do not empty my units in off season either. I do periodically start everything up from time to time, as well as I do use my equipment.

Even if you do not use your equipment, you want to fire it up once in awhile to keep things operational and moving.

If by chance you are storing something for years, then that is when I would prep it for non operational storage, and drain the gas out, run it dry, and spritz the cylinder, and take off the tires, etc., etc …

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@Jessica,

When I go and get gas (reg. gas) in my 5 gal. cans, as soon as I get home, I add Stabil and half the recommended rate of SeaFoam (as I already have Stabil in it) in all my cans, and I have never had a gas issue in all my years, and I do not empty my units in off season either. I do periodically start everything up from time to time, as well as I do use my equipment.

Even if you do not use your equipment, you want to fire it up once in awhile to keep things operational and moving.

If by chance you are storing something for years, then that is when I would prep it for non operational storage, and drain the gas out, run it dry, and spritz the cylinder, and take off the tires, etc., etc …
Thanks, that's great advice! I have SeaFoam and just bought some Stabil. I'll make sure to add them to my gas can so hopefully I won't run into that issue again!

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I'll make sure to add them to my gas can so hopefully I won't run into that issue again!

The important thing is to add the stabil\seafoam to newly purchased gas, not old gas in storage.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Is it just me?
I add right before I put the gas in the can, that way it gets mixed up real good. :icon_smile_wink:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts