Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe ever since I found this site I've been obsessed with redoing my old blower. Even buying another. I can't seem to find enough info,posts or parts to buy. It reminds me of building an old hot rod but much cheaper. Yup wife thinks I went over the deep end.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
I hear ya with the FFLF (Female Fun Limitation Factor) Mine thought I went off the deep end when I was working to get my LED lights set up on my blower last weekend. Now that project is done, and it is still 8 degree's as I type, I find myself wondering, "what's next".

·
Registered
153 Posts
that's what happens when you come here every day and read the posts. im the same way with motorcycles. wife thinks the same way too.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that's what happens when you come here every day and read the posts. im the same way with motorcycles. wife thinks the same way too.
Did the Harley thing and dirt bikes too now it's guns,fishing and of all things snowblowers.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
You know you have an obsession when you are constantly minimizing your snowblower web site screens when a family member approaches because they just don't get it and they think you are wacko.

When we first showed up here, we didn't know when we posted our introduction we were supposed to say
"Hello, my name is (first name) and I'm a snow blower aholic.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Let me just say reading this thread has made me feel better, knowing I'm not alone. I swear I could've written each one myself, lol. Especially the ones about the wife. I hide stuff behind the shed, in the attic, at my parents house. Now getting to Snapper mowers with the summer coming, uhoh...I change with the seasons, but my first love is the ole Ariens.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't hide anything but she just thinks I'm nuts when I talk about snowblowers. She gets that glazed over look in her eyes.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I work on mine when she is off shopping with her girlfriend. I just bought a new/old one, that i'm fixing up for one of my kids, that one I can work on most anytime. I hate winter, I hate the cold, but I love to blow snow. That could be my tag line.
Sid

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I work on mine when she is off shopping with her girlfriend. I just bought a new/old one, that i'm fixing up for one of my kids, that one I can work on most anytime. I hate winter, I hate the cold, but I love to blow snow. That could be my tag line.
Sid
I'm the same way I question why anyone would live where it's a pain to drive,potholes and cold weather but now that I rebuilt my blower I wouldn't mind one more snow just to try it out. But on the flip side I can wait till next season. Very interested in how the impeller mod works on the end of the driveway when the snowplows plow the heavy wet stuff half way up my drive. I have a feeling I'm going to just smile no more being pizzed off.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I can't believe ever since I found this site I've been obsessed with redoing my old blower. Even buying another. I can't seem to find enough info,posts or parts to buy. It reminds me of building an old hot rod but much cheaper. Yup wife thinks I went over the deep end.

that's just it, it's the hot rod mentality only a lot cheaper to build, fix, run. Especially with today's gas prices. Everything gets downsized but the same approach. 1 cyl instead of 8. and gas tanks that hold 1 gallon of gas intead of 18. I have 2 old 1970 Pontiacs that I haven't been able to touch in years. But I can tinker with the snowblowers and get that hot rod fix I used to get from the cars, and a lot cheaper and easier. With a bad back I can't lay under a 2 ton car like I used to, putting headers on. But I can tweak a one-lunger that has a cylinder head that weighs about 2 lbs. they sound neat too when running, like a flathead Ford v8

you know where this is going- first there was drag racing, then tractor racing, now they have snowmobile drag racing....

next will be vintage snowblower drag racing. just have to figure out if it's going to be through 12" of powder snow, or on bare pavement, or ?

:cool:;):D

·
Registered
864 Posts
I'm the same way I question why anyone would live where it's a pain to drive,potholes and cold weather but now that I rebuilt my blower I wouldn't mind one more snow just to try it out. But on the flip side I can wait till next season. Very interested in how the impeller mod works on the end of the driveway when the snowplows plow the heavy wet stuff half way up my drive. I have a feeling I'm going to just smile no more being pizzed off.

(laughter...) yeh I'm wishing for a foot of snow right now, I want to drag race this Cadet 268 against the Gilson 55012, title for title...:D pinks all out...:rolleyes:

and yes, I'm a snowbloweraholic...I stashed the New Holland down my grandmother's house in the yard....my wife would flip if I put a 3rd blower in front of the garage.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Same here. I think I enjoy blowing snow so much, is because I hate shoveling it so much.

yep...in the long run, the snowblower is less expensive, compared to 6 chiropractor visits...

·
Registered
38 Posts
These forums are modern-day Addicts Anonymous...with the exception that instead of trying to relieve us of our addictions, we encourage the addiction :D
Hi...I'm Mike, and I'm a snow-blow-aholic,...no no....I'm a chainsaw-aholic....no, wait, wait.... a guitar-aholic..... no,...that's not right...I'm a firewood-aholic!

No....Ah, heck....I'm just messed up!!

·
Registered
581 Posts
that's just it, it's the hot rod mentality only a lot cheaper to build, fix, run. Especially with today's gas prices. Everything gets downsized but the same approach. 1 cyl instead of 8. and gas tanks that hold 1 gallon of gas intead of 18. I have 2 old 1970 Pontiacs that I haven't been able to touch in years. But I can tinker with the snowblowers and get that hot rod fix I used to get from the cars, and a lot cheaper and easier. With a bad back I can't lay under a 2 ton car like I used to, putting headers on. But I can tweak a one-lunger that has a cylinder head that weighs about 2 lbs. they sound neat too when running, like a flathead Ford v8

you know where this is going- first there was drag racing, then tractor racing, now they have snowmobile drag racing....

next will be vintage snowblower drag racing. just have to figure out if it's going to be through 12" of powder snow, or on bare pavement, or ?

:cool:;):D
Hey buffalo, you hit it on the head here...I just don't have the money to invest in my '76 Grand Prix right now so it sits patiently waiting. (It was my first car, we are celebrating our 25th anniversary this year, lol, but she hasn't been on the road in 4-5 years and needs help). In the meantime I get my high from these small engines, I love the sound of the old '62 H60 with the straight exhaust, sounds like a mini stock car. I'm all in for some snowblower drag racing!!!

·
Registered
864 Posts
Hey buffalo, you hit it on the head here...I just don't have the money to invest in my '76 Grand Prix right now so it sits patiently waiting. (It was my first car, we are celebrating our 25th anniversary this year, lol, but she hasn't been on the road in 4-5 years and needs help). In the meantime I get my high from these small engines, I love the sound of the old '62 H60 with the straight exhaust, sounds like a mini stock car. I'm all in for some snowblower drag racing!!!
a Pontiac man....you have impeccable taste !

the only downside is we have to walk or run behind these darned things...the Cadet 268 put in 3rd gear, and pop the clutch, pulls a chute wheelie and takes off and I'm being dragged along behind it hanging on for dear life...:D and quickly downshifting to slow it down.

that's one thing I noticed about the friction drive vs. the gear drive, the friction drive stores up the energy in the friction plate like a flywheel in a car, and when the disc is engaged, it is a more violent launch and wheelies like a stick car and takes off in high gear...

the gear drive takes off front end down in any gear, and not as fast...could be the extra weight, or gear reduction being lower, or gears being different ratio...

so, (belly up to the bar) ...."my Cadet 268 would blow the doors off ANY Gilson 55012...:mad: wanna run it ?? "

(laughter...) just kidding....I haven't tested them enough to even know...:rolleyes: actually my back is hurting a little from starting them with the pull rope...:p

1 - 20 of 24 Posts