Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a few things recently that made me stop and think. Like if there's a little snowfall you have to blow faster to fill the impeller. I never thought about that before, but it makes sense.

I knew my old machine fairly well and what to expect from it. The last small snow storm we got, if you can call it that, I was going slow so I could get used to the machine.

What's some tricks you guys use to get a more effective blow, I think my technique could improve.

·
Registered
871 Posts
impeller mod, throws even small amounts of snow even if wet and heavy.
turning a machine with a solid axle, keep it in gear and lean on either handle to the direction u want to turn

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Good idea for a thread, My tip is for turning a solid axle blower, If turning left just lean it to the right and it will turn easily as the left tire loses all traction and just spins as you turn. OH and do the opposite to turn the other direction.... Just sayin LOL

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow. :angel:
- Frank Zappa, 1974

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
You'll have the speed gears and everything else down pat after a couple of storms. You'll find out quick how the unit handles to your preferences. It is a machine and an individuals understanding that give each unit its sweet zone of operation.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
If you have a friction wheel style transmission always shift it into the highest (fastest) gear when parking. This advise is a little off topic for operation but it takes stress off the spring on the friction wheel and the shift cable so they don't get stretched out. Especially important when storing it over the summer but good habit to get into any time you're parking it.

·
Premium Member
4,803 Posts
when done blowing .... i don't have a heated garage.

clean your machine of ice and snow before the next use. 2 reasons i can think but i am sure there are more.

water and snow may freeze up the impeller and the next time you need to use it , it may not move and you may burn up or break your belt.

if you have a tracked machine, before next use you want to "break" the tracks out before engaging the drive. the tracks may have frozen and when you try to go you may break something in the tranny.

i forget to do these things all the time. i clean the machine after use but forget to see if the tracks are frozen to the concrete floor. I usually disengage the tranny on my Honda to move it before starting anyway so that helps.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you have a friction wheel style transmission always shift it into the highest (fastest) gear when parking. This advise is a little off topic for operation but it takes stress off the spring on the friction wheel and the shift cable so they don't get stretched out. Especially important when storing it over the summer but good habit to get into any time you're parking it.
Good one, I'm going to go check mine out when I leave.

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
Ya don't tug on Superman's cape,
you don't blow into the wind,
you don't tug the mask off the ol' long ranger and.....

I think that's how it goes... :D
Or musically:

. . . The answer my friend, is don't blow into the wind, the answer is don't blow into the wind . . . :) :)

·
Premium Member
4,803 Posts
thanks. that's real good to know. i have a hs50 and a 80 with that type tranny.

·
Registered
871 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Best one would be, DON’T MAKE yellow snow in the driveway.....

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I usually do that at my nasty neighbors drive. but i found out he has cameras and you may see me on facebook or you-tube.
Ya know, people can be so picky about that stuff. Don't pee on my front lawn/driveway, cinch your robe when you leave the house, don't smack the waitress in the ass. Society has too many rules.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts