Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So starting to look for a new single stage, likly Toro 721, etc. I called several of my usual ope dealers. The most talkative hasn't received any new machines, yet, but due any day. This is very late, usually product arrives im July. Stated hearing shortage of engines out of China as part of problem. Dealers 2 & 3 have received a few units, just starting to assemble. Again, this is many weeks later than usual.
So if we are weeks behind, and hearing that they are unsure of getting everything they ordered, could be a interesting season.

·
Premium Member
5,216 Posts
Ha, may explain why used blowers are higher priced this time of year. still some good deals on used especially if you are mechanically inclined.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bart bar, where were shopping ? Yes, might be interesting shortly.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha, may explain why used blowers are higher priced this time of year. still some good deals on used especially if you are mechanically inclined.
And usuall seasonal runup. I sold a snowmobile last year, and guy wanted a wholesale price. I flat out refused, since I had the hottest desired engine ( skidoo 4 stroke 900 ) that you flat out cant find used. I got my price. Would be a different story in April at end of season.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Id be surprised if there is a shortage in NJ and surrounding areas because last year there was hardly any snow. The OPE shop near me has lots of unsold 2019 inventory still in boxes. It would take a couple good-sized storms to deplete 2019 inventory before a shortage of 2020 units is revealed.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Id be surprised if there is a shortage in NJ and surrounding areas because last year there was hardly any snow. The OPE shop near me has lots of unsold 2019 inventory still in boxes. It would take a couple good-sized storms to deplete 2019 inventory before a shortage of 2020 units is revealed.
We had a poor year in Ct also. But it seems many dealers only order what they average, so they dont lose on carrying costs for overstock. All the big box stores selling the same models has hurt the small independent guys. I have 2 well known dealers close this year. I'm sure another one will close soon.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I live in Long Island and of the 2 places near me, one has nothing new this year and some stock from last year, and the other has virtually nothing in stock but orders are made with no delivery date.

·
Registered
163 Posts
heck i've seen some 2016's sitting in a dealer who has been locked out by the box store sales in NJ. down side is that there is a shortage of 2020 machines

·
Premium Member
5,216 Posts
Incredible shortage around here and people are driving me crazy asking if I have this model or what model they should buy etc. Went down to the Honda dealer and they have a TON of new machines but since new Honda's are so expensive many people are looking for good used ones.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I live in Long Island and of the 2 places near me, one has nothing new this year and some stock from last year, and the other has virtually nothing in stock but orders are made with no delivery date.
Exactly. No ETA . This could all change in a hurry, but its definatly a widespread issue.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Incredible shortage around here and people are driving me crazy asking if I have this model or what model they should buy etc. Went down to the Honda dealer and they have a TON of new machines but since new Honda's are so expensive many people are looking for good used ones.
What brand do you carry ? I agree, Honda has advantages, I really like their engines. But at their price, even though I buy premium equipment, I cant warm up to them. That, and family experience who has 9ne and the few issues, and cost to fix. I prefer a heavy duty Chevy over the Ferrari.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lowes this am only 4 in stock from ariens HD 10 total of mixed brands
And were in mid September. Lot of these places are selling the Halloween stuff now, to have Christmas out in next few weeks. They want to sell out of snowblowers by early January or so, to have spring up for late January to early February.

I honestly wonder if they will fill everybody's ordered units.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
As of today my local Home Depot shows only 8 two-stage units in stock:
2 Troy Bilt at $699
3 Toros at $899
1 Troy Bilt at $899
2 Cub Cadets at $999

Local Lowes allegedly has 45 two-stage units (their reported online quantities are typically inaccurate)
24 Craftsman at $699
3 Ariens at $799
4 Craftsman at $899
3 Ariens at $949
2 Craftsman at $999
1 Ariens at $999
3 Ariens at $1099
2 Ariens at $1199
3 Craftsman at $1299

·
Registered
142 Posts
Troy Bilt 24" $699 - 2
Toro 824OE $899 - 1
Cub Cadet x2 26" $999 - 4
Toro Power Max 1232 $1799 - 1

Just checked online to see what my local HD has in stock... Not much in stock at all.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sure seeing a trend. Had first frosts in the Far northeast last night. The higher terrain can see snow in 30 days or so. I've seen snow up north several times before Halloween. Sure detected this early.

Reactions: rod330

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sure seeing a trend. Had first frosts in the Far northeast last night. The higher terrain can see snow in 30 days or so. I've seen snow up north several times before Halloween. Sure detected this early.
hear you man! where i am in far nw nj we have seen a 6 inch snow on the over night of oct 3 - 4th in 1987 deep 18 inch on oct 30,in 2011 we never know what mother nature will do nor can we change her whims

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A good chunk of people will plan their purchase of a new snowblower. Then there are the unplanned, when you have a significant mechanical failure. And still yet, if you have a big storm or storms and people begrudgingly buy. If production ends up being down, group 2 & 3 could end up shoveling.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts