Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally installed my new skids from SBS. We just haven’t got enough snow to be serious about installing them. I can’t believe the difference in the stability of the blower.
I could never get those factory back skids adjusted correctly. The blower always seemed to pull one side or another. My driveway and parking area is asphalt and over 5000 square feet with one 20 foot section with a bit of a heave.
Im very pleased I don’t have to fight with the blower

Has anyone else had trouble with those back shoes Honda is using?

· Registered
258 Posts
Just about ready too pull the side shoes off my HSS928 with 34 hrs on it and go back to the back shoes only, lots of stability but a bear to handle at times, will know more next week as to the difference in handle when I pull the side shoes, was just an experiment, as my driveway is pavement and not the best.

· Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ust about ready too pull the side shoes off my HSS928
Keep us posted. I’ve got 31 hours on mine bought it last January and had only one snowstorm with actual snow. Most times been snow, rain and ice pellets mixed. Nothing but crap. Monday I woke up to 6 inches of heavy snow then rain next ice. And more snow. Ended up with 3 inches of 2-3 inches of wet Snow over 1-2 inches of slush. The blower worked great but now I have an ice packed driveway.
I have to lower the scraper bar as the new SBS skids won’t allow lower anymore.

· Registered
1,131 Posts
Just installed a set of old school Honda HD skids on my HSS928ATD, previous owner did have the skinny ones installed when he bought the machine. This kit is no longer available and is the last one I had left :(. With the side skids the machine is a bit tough to handle at times but it basically avoids the hassle of augers every hitting the pavement and wearing.

Product Rectangle Font Automotive lighting Bumper

· Registered
1,158 Posts
I have used SBS skids on my Honda HS1132. It is better than stock Honda skids when there is a lot of snow on the ground. SBS skids with larger contact area can grab clean pavement and jerk the snowblower around quite a bit.

I have converted to using poly skids since there isn't a lot of snowfall lately. They wear a lot faster, but they don't wear me out.

If we constantly get more snow and the pavement isn't exposed, I will convert back to SBS skids.

· Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have used SBS skids on my Honda HS1132. It is better than stock Honda skids when there is a lot of snow on the ground. SBS skids with larger contact area can grab clean pavement and jerk the snowblower around quite a bit.

I have converted to using poly skids since there isn't a lot of snowfall lately. They wear a lot faster, but they don't wear me out.

If we constantly get more snow and the pavement isn't exposed, I will convert back to SBS skids.
Thanks for the information I’ll pay attention to that. Maybe the reason I was having so much trouble with the original HINDA skids was due to the fact that we’re not getting any real amount of snow and my paved driveway had never been iced over until the last 2 days

· Registered
96 Posts
I bought these armor skids. They’re awesome, but I had to modify instead of spacing them out for the Cutter bar bolt head, adjuster I use a die grinder and took some metal off. I bought an extra set. This is the third year I don’t think they’ll ever world.
Bumper Font Motor vehicle Gadget Automotive exterior

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper

Hood Bumper Grille Automotive lighting Gesture

Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Vehicle

· Registered
258 Posts
Good luck with the side shoe's, takin mine off and going back fo rear shoe's, going to lower the cutting edge to the lowest spot to keep auger as high as possible to keep from hitting any obstacal in front of it and try again, got to let the machine thaw out first, been in the lows of -5 -10 this week and don't have a nice warm shop to work in.

· Registered
96 Posts
Good luck with the side shoe's, takin mine off and going back fo rear shoe's, going to lower the cutting edge to the lowest spot to keep auger as high as possible to keep from hitting any obstacal in front of it and try again, got to let the machine thaw out first, been in the lows of -5 -10 this week and don't have a nice warm shop to work in.
The reason why I put skid shoes on, I have a Lotta uneven concrete sidewalks and driveways, and it started to damage the auger bucket sides.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts