Snowblower Forum banner

Snowblower skids/shoes

3K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Snoopy#1 
#1 ·
Last winter, while posting in a thread, someone suggested aftermarket snowblower shoes. I've searched this website, read a bunch of threads but I've not found that thread. I also looked on Amazon, and after scrolling through a lot of pages, did not see this particular item.

What I remember about the shoes:
They were polymer.
Shape was roughly rectangular with the corners cut off so the shoes ride up and over obstructions.
I think they were blue.
The poster supplied a link to Amazon and I think they sold for $20 each.
I saw the brand name, but have forgotten it. However, i remember it was made up of two words, for example 'Snowlite'.
They will fit my Honda HS828, though the shoes were generic.

Any ideas anyone?

#2 ·
All mine mostly have the Arnold Poly Roller Skids, and on the wide bottom ones manufactured by MTD, with the three side bolts, I just put the long, double sided, poly skids, which were on sale for 16.00 a pair at Amazon ..... They work very well.

#4 ·
I think Honda predrilled are 60mm on center, but some buckets are not predrilled. Robalon, Detroit Thermo and Fall Line are the less common aftermarket names I know of that make polymer skids.
It might help to search by mounting hole center dimension?
These are the only blue Honda shoes I could find:)

#9 ·
They won't scratch sandstone walks. I've had the heavy Honda steel ones on my HS828 for years. On occasion, when blowing my drive, if the snow is scraped clean off the concrete there is increased drag that can make the snowblower want to turn toward that side. The only times I've noticed that have been when the steel seems to be dragging on the clean surface and the other side has a very little bit of snow under it.

I also want to try them, after reading here that they are the best thing since sliced bread.

#12 ·
I totally agree poly skids are far superior to any metal skid. They should be standard equipment on all new machines. Less drag less driveway damage and no rust stains on garage floor. Acerone is correct
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
once you‘ve used poly skids you’ll never tolerate metal skids again.

#13 ·
I still love the Armor Skids. The poly does glide nice. I’m sure the rollers are even smoother. I liked the poly skids until I hit raised sections of sidewalk. A few handlebar gut punches was enough to make me try something else. As for metal skids, yes they can leave a rust mark if left wet contacting the ground. I just leave the blower parked with the bucket adjustment raised slightly and no more marks. I wish there was a long poly skid with a profile like the armor skids.

#15 · (Edited)
#16 ·
My thanks to everyone who replied to this thread. Over the last few days I've adopted the brute force tactic...Go to your screen avatar in the upper right corner, click on it, then > Following. You get a list of every thread in which you have participated. Yes, I've been reading every single one those in my list. This morning I got to:
Then, I came upon post #11 by Gator9329. The shoes in question are FallLine snowblower shoes, currently unavailable from amazon, which, imho is a good thing. I try to avoid amazon as a source whenever possible. That's my thing only, YMMV. But, go to FallLine's website:
Polyurethane Snow Blower Skid Shoes - Fallline
I read their website and my gut feeling is this is a GOOD company, and they don't make junk. I'm not saying any other products suggested are garbage, only that I was impressed by FallLine as a company making shoes for snowblowers.

So now I have to try to evaluate the products suggested above by the rest of you guys and compare them all against one another. I admit to being torn between straight, solid shoes and a wheeled type, like the one's on order for @orangputeh recommended by @Oneacer.

Regarding the latter's comment "you will wonder why you didn't get them sooner", heck, I still wonder why I did not get my first sawzall and portaband saw sooner, and its 40 years later for the first, and maybe 30 years later for the second. Both have been repaired many times and I still have both. (That's the best axe I've ever owned, I've replaced the handle 4 times and the head twice. Yup, best axe I've ever owned....)

#18 ·
Yeah, the Fallline site would also come to 32.00 a pair for the short reversible poly skids, plus tax and probably shipping as well.

I personally just put a pair of the elongated reversible poly skids on my new Cub Cadet, as well as a Yard Machines, also manufactured by MTD with the longer side bucket base with the 3 bolts ...... I got them at Amazon for 16.00 for the pair with free shipping.

Amazon.com: Rotary 5649 Pack of 2 Polymer Skid Shoes for Snowblowers: Home & Kitchen

Also note, the Arnold Poly roller skids are no longer on sale for 22.00 a pair ... they are back to 34-40.00 ....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.