Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to order the SBS for my new 32" snowblower. I think the only difference in the "ASE - Excellent for Home Use" vs PRO - Professional/Commercial Use" is the bottom is 1/2" thick vs 1/4". Anyone have these? Have some pictures?
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Helmet Bumper

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Looking to order the SBS for my new 32" snowblower. I think the only difference in the "ASE - Excellent for Home Use" vs PRO - Professional/Commercial Use" is the bottom is 1/2" thick vs 1/4". Anyone have these? Have some pictures? View attachment 199597
My Ariens Pro 28 RapidTrak came with 1/2" thick double sided skid shoes made of cast iron. Here is a pic:
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

I have used them for one season and I like them. They do not mar paver driveways and glide smoothly over all surfaces. I have 36 hours on the RapidTrak and they do not appear to have worn at all.

Reactions: Ziggy65

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
Correct .... A good test is take a machine that is not running, with steel skids, and in neutral. Now push it on your driveway.

Now put poly skids on that machine and do the same ....... And now imagine poly rollers.

Guess what one is going to drag and be harder to push ,,,.... :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Other threads here have guys favoring the plastic skids over steel/iron ones, and the wheeled poly skids win hands down. I yanked my steel skids and put on poly last year. I prefer the plastic.

Correct .... A good test is take a machine that is not running, with steel skids, and in neutral. Now push it on your driveway.

Now put poly skids on that machine and do the same ....... And now imagine poly rollers.

Guess what one is going to drag and be harder to push ,,,.... :)

Don't see little rollers working very well on my gravel driveway.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Common sense would tell you that poly rollers are not meant for gravel driveways. ... :)
So does it make sense that someone would be looking for big steel skids for a smooth paved driveway?

I ordered the PRO - Professional/Commercial Use as I think the extra weight will be good to keep the front end from wanting to float up.

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
No .... Common sense on a smooth paved driveway would tell you that poly skids glide and slide over the surface, and especially Polly Rollers..... Unlike steel that have far greater friction and drag, as well as leaving rust marks.I

A skid is not going to prevent a bucket from riding up a snow bank ..... either a slower gear, or less than a full bucket ..... If it's a solidified bank that's been there for days, well not many machines are going to walk into a frozen bank without some manual shovel, pick, etc. Assistance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts