Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium GOT Member
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boys and girls.
Would like to keep this thread serious.
May be helpful to new people as well as snowblower vets.

I think we should start with some basics and then go up the line.

Some may sound too simple but believe me from speaking to hundreds of owners there is no such thing as
a simple or dumb tip.

CHECK OIL to me is a good starting point.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Then add gas and open the shutoff valve if you have one. :)

Reactions: tabora

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
And make sure you Insert the safety key.

Reactions: KJSeller

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Do not shift while moving, stop, shift, release and go.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Use synthetic oil for ease of starting, any weight.

·
Registered
Toro 826LE/w Repowered Tecumseh 10.5
462 Posts
Use stabilizer in your gas. Make sure you do annual maintenance on your blower. It will pay off in the long run.

Not sure how to maintain your snowblower? Do some homework here or on YouTube. Most machines are pretty easy to work on for the majority of the maintenance.

·
Registered
579 Posts
The American ** A Too-Typical ** Way:
-- Open the box and start doing things with tools.
-- Attach and adjust parts using tools.
-- Break something or forget something.
-- Add Fuel.
-- Pull the cord/push the start button.
-- Discover your mistakes.
-- Return it defective and under warranty.

Maybe a better way:
-- Open box, recover the manual. Nothing else comes out of the box.
-- Invest sufficient time to read that manual from start to finish, twice. Re-read the sections you didn't understand.
-- Once you are sure you know what to do, only then should you unbox the rest of the pieces.
-- Remember that manual, the one with the parts list and the assembly instructions? Walk through the steps in order, progressing only when the last step/procedure is completed satisfactorily.
-- Read the operating part of the manual before you use the machine the first time. Again at the second and third uses, more as needed. Again at the beginning of each season. I can't remember half of the stuff I've forgotten, and need constant reminders and reinforcement. The manuals and this forum, plus the pile of notes I take (yes, written-down notes...), are all that get me going again every winter.

No owners manual will save anybody from everything, but it's a Good Start. Read through the forums here and find posts and threads on many things. Like what to do after you forget to do [insert any possible thing...]. Safety is often forgotten until it's too late. Check the oil at least as often as you put fuel in it. Look for leaks. Listen for odd noises. Investigate everything that isn't just perfect. Buy spare belts and shear pins/bolts before your first use. Re-read those directions! Take care of your new tool. Treat it with respect and it won't chew your fingers off. Take good care of it and it will return the favor.

Discover the teachings of the vets here, and follow their guidance and advice. I'm just years into the game, while they freely share decades of experience and accumulated knowledge here. I learn continuously from those who have cleared the path before me.

------
Edited 11/25/2022

** A reader has messaged me, stating that characterizing this practice as "The American Way" is offensive to him, and to Americans in general. I shared that the intention is a little more tongue-in-cheek, and is based on observation rather than being an accusation. Nonetheless, I adjusted the scope of the characterization. I recommended that he should report the post if he's truly offended, and consider adding me to his "ignore" list if the style and content of my posts continues to bother him.

If you are offended by anything that I post at any time, please take a moment to report the posts using the handy "report" option available via the three-dots icon a the top right corner of each message. If/when moderators let me know that there's a problem with these posts, I'll stop posting. You can easily add me to your "ignore" list via your User Control Panel settings window, preventing my posts from ever directly showing up in forum post listings for you.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts