Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I hope I have it for me, Ariens ST1027LE with auto turn kit and ball bearing mod on skids

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
I've been partial to Toro . . . probably a 724 model. I do like the maneuverability of the older 521's

Are you asking because you are in the process of buying, or just a curiosity?

·
Registered
122 Posts
My imaginary blower... cross breed Ariens construction, Honda performance, EGO 9.5HP electric engine, Husqvarna adjustable handles, 2Kwh of battery cells and a Tesla style charging port.

Otherwise a Honda HSS928ATD will do for my needs.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Any Yamaha or Honda track drive, but "without" the tear drop auger housing!!!! The conventional rectangular or square faces housing allows dummys like me to go right up to the steps without chewing into them. The first time I used my Yamaha 624, I "discovered" the front porch steps, back porch steps, deck steps, main entry steps, and that if I lift up on the handles to shift the blower over a little bit the auger bites into the deck! After the "Big Melt" my wife was outside and noticed things, Oh The Horror! In defense of the blower, it never gave any indication it was chewing solids, it just did its thing, very aggressively :(

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
My imaginary blower... cross breed Ariens construction, Honda performance, EGO 9.5HP electric engine, Husqvarna adjustable handles, 2Kwh of battery cells and a Tesla style charging port.

Otherwise a Honda HSS928ATD will do for my needs.
Hah, now that's a Frankenstein blower!

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
This is why I'm skeptical of cordless blowers :) A 2kWh battery pack, as an example, can provide a little under 3hp for an hour (1hp is 745W). Or 6hp for a half-hour, etc.

So if you need it to work hard, for a while, battery capacity becomes a real issue. And even with fast-charging, you still need to sit around until you can continue clearing (inconvenient if you need to leave for work). Never mind when the battery pack is 5-10 years old, and no longer providing the rated capacity.

Ariens made a cordless blower a few years ago, I think for 1 or 2 seasons, then they stopped selling it.

I'm afraid I can't answer the question as-is, I haven't used my perfect blower. I like the Ariens I've had, and I really like the differential on them. But Auto-Turn sounds interesting, as well as the trigger-style systems. And a hydrostatic transmission sounds great.

·
Registered
122 Posts
This is why I'm skeptical of cordless blowers :) A 2kWh battery pack, as an example, can provide a little under 3hp for an hour (1hp is 745W). Or 6hp for a half-hour, etc. .
I didn't do the actual math. And I don't mean to dispute your calculations. But based on my actual observations, 2Kwh is capable of propelling a 5900lb Tesla Model S 6 miles. So I naturally assumed that 2Kwh would give me at least an hour of run time for a 10HP 300lb snow blower. So change my answer to nKwh battery (2 hour run time).

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Cool info about the Tesla distance vs energy usage :)

I should point out that my #'s are based on providing that actual power output, like 6hp for a half hour. That's not the same as saying operating a 6hp blower for a half hour.

Most of the time, our machines don't have the throttles fully open, producing their full 8hp, 10hp, whatever. Your 8hp machine might only be outputting 4hp much of the time, if you were clearing lighter snow. And less when you're turning around, backing up, etc.

Now, if you're constantly bogging down the engine, then yeah, you're hopefully getting the full 8hp from your 8hp engine, if the governor is working properly. In that case, if using 8hp constantly, you'd be using about 6kWh to run for 1 hour. (1hp is 745W, so providing 1hp for 1 hour is 0.745kWh)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Because I don't have so much to clear, and not much storage room, 24" wide is OK. Probably a newer version of my 2008 Ariens 24" 2 stage. I just don't know if I would want fuel injection. Ease of starting & the other advantages sound good, but I keep stuff forever if I can, and I wonder if it would get expensive to let 1 of those grow old.

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
my toro ccr 2450e and ccr 3650e is perfect for what I need them to do
my toro 521's are perfect for what I need them to do
my toro powershift xl824 is perfect for what I need it to do

1 - 20 of 35 Posts