Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum and thinking of getting a blower for my Tahoe house. Our average storms are fairly deep at about 8”-18”. I really like the idea of the Snowjoe 2 stage cordless battery. I need to remove snow late at night and I figure this is the quietest option to keep the neighbors happy. I also like the size and weight. With our large storms am I crazy to consider this unit?

·
Registered
122 Posts
If you use the Snowjoe you might as well shovel it by hand. It will be way overmatched by that amount of snow.

Depending on your driveway, ( paved, gravel, long, wide, short,...) I'd invest in a nice 2 stage blower, or if you have a truck, a plow.

If you can help clear your neighors drive (if it's close-by) from time to time, then they may not mind the noise at all. :smile2:

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
If you use the Snowjoe you might as well shovel it by hand. It will be way overmatched by that amount of snow... I'd invest in a nice 2 stage blower...
He's talking about a 2-stage blower; it just happens to be battery powered. As long as he doesn't have a large area to blow, it should work OK for most of the smaller storms in the range he mentions, but may be challenged by the deeper ones. It looks like it deals well with dry snow up to 13" for 30 minutes or so: https://www.snowjoe.com/products/snow-joe-ion-80v-max-5-0-ah-cordless-self-propelled-two-stage-4-speed-reverse-digital-drive-snow-blower-w-dual-port-charger

·
Registered
24 Posts
personally, i would go with a gas option, the snowjoe is nice for puffy snow thats around 6in max.
most newer gas models arnt that loud anyway, so i doubt your neighbors will mind.

if your really worried about noise, then get the snowjoe,
its basically maintenance free, you only need to charge the battery.
but it might suffer in the power department.

a gas 2 stage has more maintenance involved (you have to change the oil once a year, clean the carbs once in awhile)
but has more power, longevity (batterys die quickly, especially in the cold, and lose capacity over time)
and if you bought a good name brand, parts support (both OEM and aftermarket, my honda hs35 is from 1980 and i can still get parts for next to nothing!)

just my 2 cents, its your money, and your choice.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks was not aware they have a two stage now.

I still would consider a gas two stage living in that part of the country.

·
Registered
104 Posts
From the videos I’ve seen you will get 30min run time out of a pair of batteries, also from the videos I say you would be way better off with a single stage gas like the Honda 720, VS the 2 stage snowjoe, it will out perform it all day long.

But with 18” regularly I’d be getting larger 2 stage gas, min a 724.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I doubt noise would be a concern with one of the newer OHV engined blowers. I can see where my old flathead Techumseh could wake the neighbors but the OHV machines are pretty darn quiet. As mentioned I would skip battery power, even a single stage gas will likely outperform the electric machine, especially over time.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I am quite impressed with the lithium battery tools, I have 3,or 4. I amazed by the runtime in such a small battery, but yeah I don't know about a 2 stage snowblower, unless you have a spare battery, as charging will take a while, how much coffee can you drink?
Sid

·
Registered
453 Posts
Welcome to the SBF from Gettysburg.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I thought about getting one until I read the reviews on Home Depot. So, I did the re-power Predator motor and glad I did.

The wife said I can't t hear the blower anymore with the OHV

I will wait until the gas power motor/engines are obsolete. That will not be in my lifetime?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
the newer overhead valve engines are pretty darn quite compared to the old style engines. I think you will be disappointed in performance for electric units..... might be nice if you have a deck or need to make a quick potty path for the pup - but that's about it IMHO.... your asking alot for a hungy little DC motor!

·
Registered
248 Posts
would not even think about two stage electric and as far as noise goes snowblowers are not that loud especially when your neighbors have all windows and doors buttoned down.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
would not even think about two stage electric and as far as noise goes snowblowers are not that loud especially when your neighbors have all windows and doors buttoned down.

And snow seems to have a noise cancelling effect as well. Go with a modern gasoline engine powered blower. Two stage. JMHO

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for your input. The battery blower seems pretty great in theory, but some reviews say it doesn’t work well in wet snow. That’s pretty much what we get 99% of the time. I think I’ll stop by the hardware store and take a look at some gas blowers.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have to agree with the others that battery powered snow blowers are not quite "there" yet. Like Sid, I have a bunch of battery powered tools that amaze me with their power and endurance, but I don't leave them in the garage to get cold-soaked and then expect them to perform at full power. Even lithium-ion batteries just don't have the energy density that gasoline does, and until someone comes up with a battery that does, electrics just won't be the equal of gas.

But they're getting close: look at the youtube reviews of the Milwaukee M18 chain saw. Pretty amazing for a battery tool, but again, all reviewers said you're not gonna cut logs all day with it. And that's in warm weather. Cut performance in half when it's cold enough for snow.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Electric tools are constantly improving, but IMO, they're still a tough fit for something like a snowblower, where you need to be able to finish the job *now*, to go to work, for instance. For a lawn mower, it might be OK to cut for a while until the batteries are dead, and stick them back on the charger, then finish up later.

But snow removal is different. And a machine that can do the job on one charge is great. Until you get a bigger/heavier storm, and kill the batteries before you finish.

There's a lot to be said for being able to just refill a gas tank in 2 minutes, and continue clearing. Admittedly, you said you need to clear late a night, which certainly complicates things.

You could try running at a lower RPM, with a gas unit (all will be OHV engines, at this point). When I reduce my RPMs from maybe 3700 to more like 3300, it does get substantially quieter. You won't throw as far, of course, and you're producing less power, but it might be an option (assuming the engine has a throttle control, which is no longer a given).

If you wanted to get more creative/involved, you could maybe make some sort of shroud to go around the engine somewhat. It would have to be loose (not too close to the engine), you don't want to restrict the cooling airflow, etc. But something to try and direct the engine sound upwards, vs outwards.

·
Registered
3 Posts
With the snow we get here in Tahoe, you really need a high powered gas machine. I had an older Honda, and clearing the berm was kicking my butt last year, so I bought one of the bigger Ariens machines.

Also, you will have to clear your driveway multiple times some days, so dealing with rechargable batteries could be a headache

·
Registered
18 Posts
This whole debate has me wishing fuel cells had reached the stage of consumer technology. The idea of pouring a shot of vodka into the blower, clearing the drive, then making myself a Bloody Mary is really appealing.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Electric tools are constantly improving, but IMO, they're still a tough fit for something like a snowblower, where you need to be able to finish the job *now*, to go to work, for instance. For a lawn mower, it might be OK to cut for a while until the batteries are dead, and stick them back on the charger, then finish up later.

But snow removal is different. And a machine that can do the job on one charge is great. Until you get a bigger/heavier storm, and kill the batteries before you finish.

There's a lot to be said for being able to just refill a gas tank in 2 minutes, and continue clearing. Admittedly, you said you need to clear late a night, which certainly complicates things.

You could try running at a lower RPM, with a gas unit (all will be OHV engines, at this point). When I reduce my RPMs from maybe 3700 to more like 3300, it does get substantially quieter. You won't throw as far, of course, and you're producing less power, but it might be an option (assuming the engine has a throttle control, which is no longer a given).

If you wanted to get more creative/involved, you could maybe make some sort of shroud to go around the engine somewhat. It would have to be loose (not too close to the engine), you don't want to restrict the cooling airflow, etc. But something to try and direct the engine sound upwards, vs outwards.

Yea, who wants an engine that goes full throttle as soon as it starts.. Shame on manufacturers for making cold weather equipment that doesn't have a throttle!

If they could find some tubing or pipe to go on the end of the exhaust and direct that up instead of out then that would greatly reduce noise the neighbors would hear.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts