Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from St. John's NL all,

After what was last winter an absolute unusually brutal winter here ( https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/pov-paris-marx-snowstorm-1.5439420) , I swore it was to be my last winter without a snowblower.

As this will be my first ever snow blower I have done a lot of research and have found this forum to be chuck full of good info.

I have a standard size two car width wide driveway with slight slope and was very interested in getting your input on which snowblower would be best suited for my needs keeping in mind the winters we get here in St. John's.

I have it narrowed down to 4 that I feel are my best bet but am open to any other suggestions and open to all input thanks.

In no particular order :

https://www.ariens.com/en-us/power-equipment/snow-products/snow-blowers/platinum/platinum-24-sho

https://www.toro.com/en-ca/homeowner/snow-blowers/power-max-hd-1028-ohxe-38841

https://www.cubcadet.ca/en/snow-blowers/2x-28/31AH5DST596.html#start=6

https://www.ariens.com/en-us/power-equipment/snow-products/snow-blowers/deluxe/deluxe-28-sho

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to reply, cheers.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Welcome to the forum Charlie'sPal.
I commend you for taking the time to research your future snowblower purchase, looks like you have narrowed it down to 4 powerful decent quality machines.
The following are my picks in order of preference.

1. Ariens Platinum 24 SHO
2. Ariens Deluxe 28 SHO
3. Toro Max HD 1028
4. Cub Cadet

As you have a smaller drive way (4 car?), I think a 24" blower will be your best choice for maneuverability and storage. The 24 SHO has a great power to bucket width ratio and should be up to the task no matter what the Atlantic Canadian winter can throw at it.
I have a Deluxe 28 SHO and am very happy with it's build quality, Auto turn, and performance. I have a fairly long U shaped gravel driveway with several parking pads and the blower handled a 24" snowstorm last winter flawlessly.
I would recommend trying to check each of the blowers out in person, to get a hands on impression of each. Dealer reputation and location near you might also factor into your decision making. I would definitely try to purchase your chosen machine from a dealer.

I assume you have narrowed your choices based on $ budget. If money is not a consideration you may also want to consider Yamaha and Honda.

Cheers!

20200228_094447.jpg

Reactions: Charlie'sPal

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Ziggy65 for taking the time out of your day to reply to my thread, it's much appreciated.

My driveway is just a two car driveway but is side by side and not in length but is on a slight slope.

You offer some good advice and I certainly will check out the models I listed in person as I have located all models from reputable dealers locally.

The Honda's and Yamaha's models are out of my price range.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A question with regards to the Yamaha and please keep in mind I'm a snowblower newbie...

The Yamaha YT624EJA YT624EJA - Yamaha Motor Canada is powered by what's listed as 175cc engine. That's way below the cc's of the 4 snowblowers I listed above that are up for consideration. What am I missing, as I know the Yamahas are considered by many to be the very best ?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Welcome from the Chicago area. I have older machines, and am partial to older Toros, but I believe that both Toro and Ariens still make good machines. I have not used any of the snowblowers that you listed, but others on this forum speak highly of them. And I know that Yamaha and Honda are very good.

I agree with checking out a few in person. There could be a characteristic of one that you very much like or don't like (handle height, feature placement, etc), and for that money you need to be certain.

tx

Reactions: Charlie'sPal

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
The reasons are;

1. true track drive with flat dozer type treads
a. greater adhesion
b. greater ground contact area in square inches per track
c. infinite hydrostatic drive/fluid drive system
2. teflon lined chute
3. teflon impeller housing
4. shredding auger flights
narrow width.
5. The machines are actually designed for heavy wet snow conditions encountered in northern Honshu Island and Hokkaido Island in JAPAN/NIPPON

Items 2, 3 and 5 are gold.

A lot of folks in the maritimes have the new 624 and older 824.

(fixed my typos)

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
with just a 2 car driveway i would definitely not be going bigger than 24". heck you could probably get away with a 20" machine if you could find one with a tall enough bucket. when you start dealing with 28" or larger they are great for blowing large area's but i find them a bit clumsy and don't maneuver that great when you are working in small or tight area's like around cars. that Ariens 24 SHO definitely seems like it would be a pretty overkill of a machine but should never be short on power. i got a 26" machine with a 250cc Briggs and stratton and power wise it seems fine. it will bog when you push it onto a snow blank faster than it can move snow but never really struggles to throw the snow.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The reasons are;

1. true track drive with flat dozer type treads
a. greater adhesion
b. greater ground contact area in square inches per track
c. infinite hydrostatic drive/fluid drive system
2. teflon lined chute
3. teflon impeller housing
4. shredding auger flights
narrow width.
5. The machines are actually designed for heavy wet snow conditions encountered in northern Honshu Island and Hokkaido Island in JAPAN/NIPPON

Items 2, 3 and 5 are gold

I lot of folks in the maritimes have the new 624 and older 824
That's a lot of definite pluses and given me another consideration even if it means saving for a bit longer. Thank you for your detailed reply.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Thank you Ziggy65 for taking the time out of your day to reply to my thread, it's much appreciated.

My driveway is just a two car driveway but is side by side and not in length but is on a slight slope.

You offer some good advice and I certainly will check out the models I listed in person as I have located all models from reputable dealers locally.

The Honda's and Yamaha's models are out of my price range.
did you take any pictures of all the snow you got? it's like candy to me to see big snow

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, no pictures lol...I was to busy shoveling and kicking myself for buying a Breitling Superocean 44 and not a snowblower doh. I swore to the snow God's last year though that, that would be my last winter without one.

$_59 (13).jpeg

·
Registered
133 Posts
your driveway sounds relatively small, or not excessively large, so i think engine size should be more important to you then auger size,

physical capabilities also come into play when deciding on a machine, the heavier the machine, the more difficult it is to handle, and turn, etc etc,

i am a fairly big strong guy, and i like the feel of a large machine, so i went with a 30 inch, but sometimes it can be a workout to turn it around at the end of my driveway,

something to consider depending on your age and physical capabilities,

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've ruled out the Ariens Deluxe 28 SHO and the Cub Cadet 2X 28 and am now down to considering either the Ariens Platinum 24 SHO, the Toro Max HD 1028 and a new contender though a pricey one in the Yamaha YT624EJA.

I spoke with my local Ariens dealer today and they do not have the Platinum 24 SHO in stock at the moment but was assured they would be getting them in September, I'm in no rush so that's no issue for me.

While the Toro Max is still up for consideration on my part mainly due to the positive reviews my uncle has given his Toro Max as the end all be all snowblower.

New to my list of considerations is the Yamaha and after reading through some more threads on here and elsewhere it's more than growing on me.

I really appreciate everyone who has taken the time to reply and certainly welcome anymore...

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
I've ruled out the Ariens Deluxe 28 SHO and the Cub Cadet 2X 28 and am now down to considering either the Ariens Platinum 24 SHO, the Toro Max HD 1028 and a new contender though a pricey one in the Yamaha YT624EJA.

I spoke with my local Ariens dealer today and they do not have the Platinum 24 SHO in stock at the moment but was assured they would be getting them in September, I'm in no rush so that's no issue for me.

While the Toro Max is still up for consideration on my part mainly due to the positive reviews my uncle has given his Toro Max as the end all be all snowblower.

New to my list of considerations is the Yamaha and after reading through some more threads on here and elsewhere it's more than growing on me.

I really appreciate everyone who has taken the time to reply and certainly welcome anymore...
Havent read every post. Are you up in Canada? That's where Yamaha is more common than here. I think parts are pricey but it's a very solid machine.

Also , did youwant to purchase new or are you mechanical. If you are I would suggest a used Honda HS928 .( I'm a Honda guy so takeit with a grain of salt ). I got this 928 for a couple hundred. Serviced it myself and it should last another 20 years.

This is the time of year as you probably know to get the deals on used blowers.
20200617_142651_resized.jpg

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Havent read every post. Are you up in Canada? That's where Yamaha is more common than here. I think parts are pricey but it's a very solid machine.

Also , did youwant to purchase new or are you mechanical. If you are I would suggest a used Honda HS928 .( I'm a Honda guy so takeit with a grain of salt ). I got this 928 for a couple hundred. Serviced it myself and it should last another 20 years.

This is the time of year as you probably know to get the deals on used blowers. View attachment 168023
Yes I am from Newfoundland, Canada, we are known for our long harsh winters and last year's was truly a standout brutal one.

I am not handy or mechanical at all so for peace of mind, I'm looking at buying new.

One of my neighbours has a tracked Honda and he has told me that over the years he has had a number of snowblowers and none of them could even come close to his Honda. My hold up with the Honda's is something my uncle (the Toro owner) has told me and that's that parts are expensive and in his words "you can't find anyone who wants to work on them".

Again, I am new to the world of snowblowers and how much truth there is to that comment is I don't really know.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
...My hold up with the Honda's is something my uncle (the Toro owner) has told me and that's that parts are expensive and in his words "you can't find anyone who wants to work on them"...
If you're buying new, the parts for the Honda HSS blowers are A LOT less than the HS series parts. And I can't imagine that the latter statement has any validity any more... And my HS80 didn't have to go to the dealer for service in over 30 years... The motor is still going strong on a wood chipper, but the blower duties were taken up by an HSS1332ATD.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Yes I am from Newfoundland, Canada, we are known for our long harsh winters and last year's was truly a standout brutal one.

I am not handy or mechanical at all so for peace of mind, I'm looking at buying new.

One of my neighbours has a tracked Honda and he has told me that over the years he has had a number of snowblowers and none of them could even come close to his Honda. My hold up with the Honda's is something my uncle (the Toro owner) has told me and that's that parts are expensive and in his words "you can't find anyone who wants to work on them".

Again, I am new to the world of snowblowers and how much truth there is to that comment is I don't really know.
I know a guy in Newfoundland that only works on Honda's. I thought there were a ton there. Yes , parts may be expensive but they last a long time. I have a 55 (33 years old ) a 50 ( 37 years old) and 80 ( 29 years old )

But, for peace of mind you are probably better off buying new and get some kind of warranty. I think it's 3 years for a Honda but not sure about Canada. I can't help you with an opinion on other brands. Have worked on Hundreds of Honda's. Just my opinion , they are not too hard to work on. With plenty of you-tube videos and this forum you can learn.

Yamaha is the equivalent of a Honda from what I have read here.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I've read what I could find on the newer Honda models and there seem's to be issues with clogging...
There were some issues with early HSS machines in very wet snow. That was/is addressed by Honda with a chute mod and many of us changed jets for more power and added impeller kits. No longer an issue, at least for me...

Since you're in Canada, Yamaha is also an excellent option.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Hello Charlie'sPal,

Keep your dealer close and your snowblower closer!!!

If you do not have a reliable Honda dealer within spitting distance think Toro or Yamaha.
I cannot buy a Yamaha here in the lower 48 so I need to go into debt and buy a Toro 1428
track drive unit or the 1428 wheel drive unit with chains, front weight kit and steering brakes.

Both the Toros and the smaller Yamaha snow blowers are worthy of a second look. With both units you can simply buy larger fuel jets and increase the performance.

Having warm cans of Fluid Film spray to coat the chute, spout, impeller, impeller housing and auger flights of any of the Toro's will double your casting distance.
Coating the serrated auger flights and spout of the smaller Yamaha with warm Fluid Film will also help in doubling your casting distance. You can use Fluid Film to coat the tracks of the Yamaha to make them last longer too.

90 percent of your decision is going to depend on how much storage space you have for it to keep it out of the weather and hopefully warm to melt off any snow and ice build up UNLESS you have a kerosene fired space heater to melt it off every time you use it and also use the heater to warm it up before you use it and it will thank you ten fold for doing that by the way by giving you better performance and it will rust much, much less.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts